Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Comments

• Options
    good stuff!

Who was the grading company on those? looked like a company called "Mint" ...

long live Don West!

-t
    - Building these sets:
    ------- 1960 Topps Baseball PSA 8+
    ------- 1985 Topps Hockey PSA 9+
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And that's that asswhipe Ken Goldin on the phone.

The guy is an absolute, total, unequivical, beyond a shadow of a doubt - CROOK!

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    TNP777TNP777 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭
    umm, don't sugarcoat it, Mike - go ahead & tell us what you really think of Mr. Goldin image

Geordie
  • Options
    Let's look - again - at Don doing his Romo - butterfingers routine!

Mike
  • Options

<< <i>good stuff!

Who was the grading company on those? looked like a company called "Mint" ...

long live Don West!

-t >>

Yeah, "Mint" grading was a fly by nighter. I think SAH was the first to partner with USA and PRO, too.

Ken Goldin's Score Board, Inc. gets what it deserves
  • Options
    I gotta say...

I miss listening to the guy.

Back in the early 90s, I used to stay up late and watch him while reading SCD and working on cards.

It's like watching rerun episodes - it really doesn't matter which one - it's just a "feel" ya get.

Don West - the guy ya love to hate!

mike
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I gotta say...

Back in the early 90s, I used to stay up late and watch him while reading SCD and working on cards.

It's like watching rerun episodes - it really doesn't matter which one - it's just a "feel" ya get.

mike >>

He is like a kid in a candy store. His excitement and hype is infectuous. I think I had the phone in my hand a few times, because he made me "believe". While SAH was purely a shopping channel, I think this guy entertained more than he sold to.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Total dirtbags both of these jerks, and thieves to boot. Lord knows how many ignorant collectors they sucked in with that spiel.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

image Used to turn it on every night just for sheer entertainment value.

Kenny Goldin was the sleaziest con man to ever hit TV,
    yet he had exclusive deals with Bonds, Montana and other big name stars.

Man I really do miss that show ...
    Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    Don West and his pal, Kenny, were definitely crooks, but good lord they could entertain... and during Don's tenure at Shop At Home, their sales and ratings were through the roof. Nowadays, they run their Sports Room twice a week. Back then, it was five times a week!

Don could sell iceboxes to eskimos, radios to the deaf, and shoes to people with no legs... on a bad day!

His enthusiasm was amazing. When I wasn't laughing at the terrible deals and his lunacy over gem mint 10's, I was totally captivated by the things he'd say and do to present a product. Some nights, he'd literally be slurring his speech because he was drooling over the cards.

A while back, some dude calling himself MC Diamond King made some techno/new age mp3's using samples from Don West's SAH broadcasts... they are AMAZING. Especially Don West's Decent Into Madness.

Here's the url:

http://dusted21.blogspot.com/2006/05/don-westmc-diamond-king.html

"If you can't afford this deal, you've got to make yourself be able to afford it!"
    Nolan Ryan & Edgar Martinez are my favorite players...
    mosaic's Nolan Ryan Basic Topps registry set
    mosaic's Big 3 Nolan Ryan Run Showcase
  • Options
    Kenny's new website and business venture (I see a few of his auto items on ebay as we speak, too!)
    Goldin Sports
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    Don should have won best actor in a comedy award.
    Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Man I miss this.

Paul
  • Options
    when did he start his shopping shows? I ask because if i didnt know any better i would think Chris Farley based his "in a van down by the river" character off of Don west. Anyone else see this?
    My baseball and MMA articles-
    http://sportsfansnews.com/author/andy-fischer/

imagey
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    If you miss him, you can see see him providing color commentary every week on TNA wrestling on Spike TV. He hasn't changed all that much.

<< <i>I gotta say...

mike >>

Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    cohocorpcohocorp Posts: 1,371 ✭✭
    thats some funny stuff
  • Options
    I used to watch this a few years ago (when I first started collecting again). Don West used to be entertaining to watch (and I could watch this show all night), but now I can't stand ten seconds of him. UGH.

I haven't seen one of these in a long time. It's kind of funny to go through and look at these now that I'm pretty knowledgeable about the hobby.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Their biggest con that I can remember were those Tiger Woods Pro-graded 10 rookie cards for $20,000 - that's right 20K. How many they sold I have no idea but I imagine it was probably more than a few because they ran that spot for many months even more than a year I think. West often stated that in his opinion this card should be worth more than a Honus Wagner T206 for various reasons.

You can find these same Pro-graded 10 cards on ebay now listed for 40 bucks and they don't even sell.
  • Options
    Carew29Carew29 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭

Grote 15, i'll assume you were one of the suckers that called in.
  • Options
    ArchStantonArchStanton Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭
    Right before Christmas, I met a guy in his early 80s who spent over $20K on that stuff around 1999 and 2000. He thought the collection was worth a fortune. It wasn't worth 500 bucks. Sad.

He probably thought Don West was his buddy/financial guru.
    Collector of 1976 Topps baseball for some stupid reason.
    Collector of Pittsburgh Pirates cards for a slightly less stupid reason.
    My Pirates Collection
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    did don west and goldin get shut down???
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grote 15, i'll assume you were one of the suckers that called in.

Nope, wrong again.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>did don west and goldin get shut down??? >>

SAH fired Don West in 2001 citing the "new direction" the company was taking. Since that time, rating have fallen, and the sports and collectibles show was reduced from 5 nights per week to 2 nights per week. And I believe a couple years ago the network went bellyup and announced they were going off the air, but they're still around so maybe someone bailed them out. Don West hosts a sports radio talk show and does announcer work for wrestling. He and Kenny were mired in scandal a few years back over counterfeit cards, but I can't seem to find the articles. Kenny Goldin was forced to resign as CEO of the company he and his father Paul Goldin founded "Sports Board"--Kenny and his mother retained control of 25% of the stock, before the company went belly up. He then started "Goldin Sports Inc", which may or may not still be in business. I think if anything, Kenny was the scammer, SAH was the venue, and Don West was the puppet. I don't blame Don West all that much, although he did have a short partnership with Kenny back in the day, selling autographs and memorabilia (some say fake).
  • Options
    GonblottGonblott Posts: 1,951 ✭✭
    Sad to say I actually bought from Don back in 1998.
  • Options
    chaz43chaz43 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I mean this more than I mean anything, GET ON THE LINE NOW!
    Enjoy. >>

Both those guys should be put in jail for false advertising but I am sure they know the deal and skirt the law pretty easily. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!!! chaz