Home Sports Talk
Options

Red Sox have Todd Helton in their sites...

yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
A good bat or inflated Colorado numbers? There is no doubt he knows how to make contact.

Rockies are eyeing 2 pitching prospects, including the Red Sox 2005 #1 draft pick and Triple A center fielder, and top prospect, Jacoby Ellsbury.

Red Sox offered Mike Lowell, Julian Taverez, and Matt Clement.

Lots of pros and cons with this one. More than I would even want to theorize.

Comments

• Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    I like Lowell, but the ther two are castoffs inmy opinion
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    With pitching being what it is today, I wouldnt trade ANY of my top pitching prospects and try to acquire as many as I can without thinning my team.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Helton has not done much recently, if anything being away from Coors field will make his #'s dip a bit more..not much to be ecstatic about, just another mid grade filler player. As far as Lowell is concerned I like him but he is not anyone that cant be replaced. Jacoby Ellsbury? I saw him play last Summer at Portland, Im not sure what to think of him, just a prospect...I was not that immpressed with any of their Sea Dog players.
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    This is just a rumor at this point - the teams are talking, but the Rockies are the ones pushing the trade. As it stands now, they would be picking up at least half of the $90M Helton is due through 2011 - and while the Rockies want young pitching like Hansen, DelCarmen, and Clay Bucholz (who is one of the top Sox pitching prospects), Boston of course doesn't want to give up any of them. With all this said, Helton would be a monster in Fenway - but I really don't see it happening.
  • Options
    He's gotten old quick, but his hitting style/abilities could be great in Fenway. Yes, at this point he's overpaid. But who isn't these days that is an aging vet? I think it's a good idea, as a Yankees fan for Boston to acquire Helton and get rid of even more pitching. The real issue in Boston is relief pitching. Plus, the Soxs have Youkilis(way off I know) and Lowell to handle first and third. Not to mention Ortiz at DH/1st(on the rare occasion), and Wily Mo Pena as the 4th outfielder. No real place for Helton in that lineup, it seems like Theo is really trying to play the GM role like Brian Cashman all of a sudden. Dropping solid prospects for the older vet, and signing overrated and older vets. Thankfully, as it seems the Yankees are slowly exiting that era with the trading of Sheffield and Randy Johnson. Hopefully, the youth movement will continue for the Yankees.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    OK. polled my co-workers (I work in Boston, just down the street from Fenway, and my cohorts are rabid fans!)
    they are mixed about Helton, they insist they must dump Clement on the Rockheads image and that Colorado has to eat a big chunk of the contract lol. so we shall see image
  • Options
    I saw a report on espn or espn.com that Colorado is no longer talking to Boston about trading Helton to them. So apparently it's not happening.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I saw a report on espn or espn.com that Colorado is no longer talking to Boston about trading Helton to them. So apparently it's not happening. >>

never say never!
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>OK. polled my co-workers (I work in Boston, just down the street from Fenway, and my cohorts are rabid fans!)
    they are mixed about Helton, they insist they must dump Clement on the Rockheads image and that Colorado has to eat a big chunk of the contract lol. so we shall see image >>

I don't think it is a requirement that the Rockies take Clement...it is a requirement that ANY TEAM takes him! Please.