Home Metal Detecting
Options

I finally got DesertRat out for the day

Danny finally caved in and called me for a get together. You folks need to pester him about his finds today.
I love stirring the pot.
Danny let's do it again image
imageimageimage

Comments

• Options
    WTG Gary. Good job.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    Thank Gary for all the knowledge you shared with me today. I have never been out with another detectorist and it is nice to meet someone who actually knows what they are doing! I'm learning to not only "listen" to my DFX, but to stay far away from high tension power lines with it (at least until I know how to tune the machine to them).

Here is my take for the day (minus all the trash I dug and one quarter that managed to jump out of my pouch somehow).

All in all it was $1.20 in modern jumk ($0.95 if you take out the disappearing quarter) a Hot Wheels car and a 1928 necklace. No, it isn't circa 1928 (image) but rather a piece of costume jewelry made by the 1928 Jewelry Store. Although this particular necklace doesn't show on their web site it looks to be valued at about $18-20.00.

So this will be my entry into the jewelry category this month. image

Thanks again Gary, next time we'll have to hit those parks we talked about!
  • Options
    My pleasure buddy. I really enjoy getting out with follow treasure hunters. But, be an old goat I may, I still learn a trick or two myself. Like how to hunt in that nasty black goop we worked today. I nominate Danny's 1928 necklace with garnet stones in the "Best Jewerly" catagory for January.
    GWN
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. Who cares if it ain't antique or studded with high-dollar gemstones? That necklace is gorgeous!

Can't have been in (or on) the ground long. Was it on or near the surface, or did you have to work for it?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options

<< <i>Wow. Who cares if it ain't antique or studded with high-dollar gemstones? That necklace is gorgeous!

Can't have been in (or on) the ground long. Was it on or near the surface, or did you have to work for it? >>

We hit a private RV park and the necklace was just under the surface in the tent camping area. I literally used the side of my knife to scrape away what little dirt there was covering it.
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
    The necklace is a great find.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a nice time out.
    That's a nice necklace!
    Bent fork and desert rat out detecting.... the image that puts in my head is most amusing image
    I assume bent fork did the digging.. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    No Mr. Z, he did all the digging himself. I just needled him to no end to get his derriere out and hunt. image
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    It was a good day, a little drizzle here and there but not bad weather at all. Not only was it fun to finally get out and do some hunting but Gary is very knowledgeable about detecting and helped me out a lot. It was interesting though in that the ground we were in is very heavy with black sand (it's a very old riverbed) so the VDI on targets was sometimes not even close to what it should have been (dimes showing up as pennies and such). To top it off we started out working an open field that sits right near a mess of high tension power lines that are about 75 -100 feet overhead. Gary's MXT and my DFX reacted totally different in the area of those lines. I could not get my machine to settle down and become stable when set on coin/jewelry mode. It was nerve-wracking to say the least with the tones sounding off all over the place and i just couldn;t get it to settle down. I finally set it on coin only and it was somewhat stable. Gary's MXT seemed to work fine amid all that EMI noise where mine was just not a happy camper. Although looking back, we did not find very many targets in that area where I was certain it would be loaded with stuff due to the numerous large company picnics held there each year. Could be the EMI was affecting both machines just in different ways since we left there with Gary only having 3 cents and myself 1 quarter.

When we moved further away (1/4 mile?) from the lines my machine reverted to its normal self and we both began to find stuff.

Anyone else ever have significant problems in the area of power lines?