Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

2 chinese gold coins can anyone ID them?

Pls look at ebay item# 160073945063 & 160073946938. Are they real or fake?

Comments

• Options

<< <i>Pls look at ebay item# 160073945063 & 160073946938. Are they real or fake? >>

The first item number does not appear to be valid.

The second item seems to be very rare (Chinese gold coins are infrequently offered).

It's worth noting that the second coin is expensive, coming from China, is being offered raw on ebay from a seller who is "Not a registered user".
    "Think of the Press as a great keyboard on which the Government can play" – Joseph Goebbels

"The Central Intelligence Agency owns everyone of any significance in the major media" - William Colby, former CIA director
  • Options
    SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭✭
    Seller has been NARUed, but check out how many ebayers thought that he was selling authentic items, or items that really belonged to him anyway (the ones in green were sold) : Completed items
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3
  • Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    Sorry, the first item is 160073945062.
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebay item:

The coin denomination is 7 mace and 2 candareens.
    That denomination is usually used on old Chinese silver dollars.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    MR168MR168 Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I think you're right. The denomination is for the silver coins.
    I guess this one might a fake. It's very scary to buy coins on ebay.
  • Options
    The picture of KM#127.1 (undated, cast from 1895-1907) in the Krause listings for Imperial coinage of Hupeh Province is pretty lousy, but there are definite differences between the dragon's head depicted there and the one in the auction.

Actually, I find it pretty laughable that anyone could believe that a gold coin almost 10 grams heavier than a silver one would have the same face value. image
    Roy

• Options
    trozautrozau Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭
    Some Chinese silver dollar issues were struck in gold (not for circulation). Just because a coin is off regulary struck metal means that it is a fake. Even the flying dragon dollar has a gold version. Still I would recommend buying from reputable coin dealers for rare Chinese gold (or certified ones). image
    trozau (troy ounce gold)