Home Metal Detecting
Options

Pocket change

Change from buying a pack of gum today. Nothing special in the date, but was happy to retire this one from circulation.

Comments

• Options
    Nice find. I always save nickels I find in change that are 1950s or older.
    I lust for silver.
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I used to work as a cashier in a local store and I always kept a pocket full of change to swap for some of the older coins that turned up in my drawer. I always bought nickels from the 50s and older along with wheat pennies and the occasional foreign coin. A lady even paid me with a buffalo nickel once.
    Always on the lookout for a silver opportunity.
    imageimage
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pre-1960 Jeffs are perhaps "the final frontier" of overlooked circulation finds. They're the one currently-circulating coin that offers any decent cherrypicking opportunities in circulation and in bank rolls.* Wheaties still turn up, but not with the frequency they did when I was a younger collector, and I find the ratio of them so small that cent rolls are just not worth the effort of hunting anymore.

Only nickels offer some fun. I have gotten quite a few pre-1960s, including many War nickels. Still do, occasionally.

*(Half dollar rolls offer good, perhaps even better, cherrypicking, I suppose, but they're hard to get and they don't circulate much.)

WTG!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    speaking of half dollar rolls....a buddy of mine ordered $5000.00 worth of halves from the bank...after spending the weekend going through them he made a profit of $700.00 by removing and selling the silver....found some barbers in the rolls as well....he said it was too much work and would not do it again....he did keep some of the nicer ones for himself.
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    >>after spending the weekend going through them he made a profit of $700.00<<

>>he said it was too much work and would not do it again<<

$700 in a weekend= TOO MUCH WORK ? ? ? ok

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    i hear ya jerry.....i guess some peoples time is worth more than others?.....i'd do it if i had $5000.00 lying around.....take care
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could make $700 on a weekend and didn't have the $5000 I think that I could borrow it for a month or less. You at the minimum when you are finished that you will have at least $5000.
  • Options
    $700 in a weekend= TOO MUCH WORK ? ? ? ok
    Text

Jerry, you took the words right out of my fingers. A few hours work sorting through coins to earn 700.00? Hellya, I'd do it!!
    Be Still and Know
  • Options
    gene2393gene2393 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭
    Nice find MPeter. I just got a 1957d Jefferson Nickel the other day.

gene2393