Home Sports Talk
Options

Yankees farm system has emerged .... again

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
I know, I know NOBODY wants to hear anything promising when it comes to the big bad Yankees. Gone is the lingering falacy that the Yankees have nothing down on the farm image So, this at least needs to be heard after all of the Yankees are baron talk by some around here!

By Keith Law
Scouts Inc

The Yankees have long had the game's biggest payroll, but their farm system has lain fallow for several years, the result of some uninspired draft picks and trades that rid the system of the few prospects who remained. Over the last 18 months, however, the Yanks' system has made a stunning turnaround, going from one of the five worst systems in the game to one of the 10 best.

What sets the Yankees' system apart from most others is the presence of two of the 10 best prospects in baseball, something no other organization can claim. The first of these two is right-handed pitcher Philip Hughes, who should show up in the Bronx in the first half of this season. The Yanks' first-round pick in 2004 has rocketed through the system, and would likely have reached Triple-A this year had the Yanks not been keeping their best prospects away from the Columbus clubhouse. Hughes has two consistent plus-plus pitches in a 93-95 mph fastball with fair sink, and a 12-to-6 curveball, and he has a promising changeup as well. Hughes pounds the strike zone and his command made some strides late in the 2006 season, although he still relies a bit too much on his secondary stuff. A year ago, Hughes had promise, but had missed time with minor shoulder injuries and had command issues. Now he's one of the top two pitching prospects in the game.

Hughes' hitting counterpart on the Yanks' prospect depth chart is teenaged center fielder Jose Tabata, who spent all of 2006 in the full-season Sally League; only the Mets' Fernando Martinez and the Braves' Elvis Andrus were younger among such players. Tabata has an outstanding package of tools, but also has a degree of baseball acumen not often seen in players so young. He has a quick bat with developing power and good command of the strike zone. He has good instincts in center, with a plus arm that will allow him to move to right if he outgrows center. His season ended in early August due to a thumb injury, but he's playing in the Venezuelan winter league and swinging the bat with no trouble.

The Yanks' system also now boasts depth that it hasn't had in years. Trading Gary Sheffield netted the Yankees another top pitching prospect in Humberto Sanchez as well as two live arms in Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett. Randy Johnson didn't bring as much back, but the Yanks did grab another live arm in Ross Ohlendorf. Meanwhile, Tyler Clippard passed the Double-A test and looks like at least a fifth starter in the majors, while 2006 sandwich pick Joba Chamberlain, who fell out of the top 10 picks due to serious concerns about the state of his shoulder, threw extremely well in the Hawaiian Winter League.

The Yanks also added two more tough signs in Mark Melancon and sashimi-raw flamethrower Dellin Betances. It's a significant improvement for such a short period of time, and it's very bad news for the other four teams in the AL East.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, We will just have to wait and see if those guys pan out, for now you guys are just big spenders on free agents.....image

• Options

<< <i>Well, We will just have to wait and see if those guys pan out, for now you guys are just big spenders on free agents.....image

image >>

Exactly what the Bosox are too though. That being said, JD Drew 70 million? Whew.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. I think Steinbrenner should use a new logo for 2007: " New York Yankees: The Little Team That Could!".
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>
    Exactly what the Bosox are too though. That being said, JD Drew 70 million? Whew. >>

imageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    I can't remember as celebrated a Yankee prospect since their old ace, Brien Taylor. Yankee fans, you know how that one turned out.
    Jay
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>
    Exactly what the Bosox are too though. That being said, JD Drew 70 million? Whew. >>

imageimageimageimageimage >>

I think I'd be drinking heavily too if my team signed Drew for that kind of money and that length of a contract!

In fact, will you be drinking heavily during all of the 2007 season? image

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    You guys know more about the farm than I do.

What is the update on Taylor Mattingly?
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
  • Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    The Yankees are fine. They don't need to sign any big free agents. They can get Clemens, but no need for a slugger. I say give the farm hands some at-bats and sign B Williams to another year.

I like the fact the Yankees are using more of their young guys on the roster. Cano has been a nice surprise and Melky could be a solid player too. They should use their young arms this year. As much as I like Mussina and Pettite and the rest of the veterans, someone will need time off, so let the young guys get some innings too.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee