Home Sports Talk
Options

Sean Salisbury denies making anti-semetic statement

From USA Today:

The Internet can turn pretty mundane stuff into the Zapruder film.
Online, tapes can be replayed endlessly to spot conspiracies authorities are overlooking or, if you're so inclined, suppressing!

There can't be too much scrutiny of assassinations. But it can seem comical to find yourself online replaying TV football yak again and again in search of deeper meanings.

But there's nothing comical to Sean Salisbury about what he did or did not say in talking about NFL star Peyton Manning of the Indianapolis Colts on Sunday on ESPN.

Describing Manning's cool against the New England Patriots, Salisbury says the quarterback was thinking, "We'll nip, we'll tuck, we'll go, we'll crunch" — and then, according to his recollection, "we'll chew."

OK, "chew" seems nonsensical, even for TV sports talk — "moo" would have made about as much sense.

But Salisbury isn't worried about incoherence. He feels embattled — "it borders on ridiculous" — by an online chorus accusing him of saying "jew" not "chew."

Saying "jew" in that context makes even less sense than "moo" — or even "stew." But the ex-NFL quarterback says that's irrelevant: "I'm not apologizing for anything because I never said anything but 'chew.' "

(Go ahead and find the tape online — it's all over the place — and listen to it over and over. We'll wait.)

Salisbury says he never heard from anybody about this until somebody pointed out the gathering Internet storm Tuesday. He felt he had to address it on his Chicago radio show Wednesday — "Although I find it hard to even have to respond to this nonsense" — and to the Chicago Tribune.

He also says nobody at ESPN has talked to him about it — "Why would they?" — and in an 11-year ESPN career he's "never, ever" said anything about "race, religion, creed, sexual orientation — they're far more important than stupid football highlights."

No argument there.

Salisbury says he doesn't know "how this story get a toe, let alone legs." Well, actually, he does.

But he's says he keeps it in perspective: "I've got bigger fish to fry than bloggers. I've got a dad going through lung cancer."

Logic suggests if Salisbury — or any TV careerist — is offensive on air, it's done subconsciously. To do so consciously means you want to lose your paycheck. And, he says, "I'm not dumb enough to commit TV suicide!"

Future archaeologists will marvel at the importance we can ascribe to sportscasters' words. Especially when the serious transgressions — think ESPN's Michael Irvin joking about the hilarious subject of slave owners forcing themselves sexually on slaves — seem to result from simple dumbness.

But Salisbury, noting the role of intelligence in these on-air slips, turns the formula on its head in explaining why "the J word" couldn't come out of his mouth: "I'm not smart enough to say anything that derogatory."

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Give me a break! People love to stir the pot, absolute foolishness.
  • Options

<< <i>Give me a break! People love to stir the pot, absolute foolishness. >>

The whole thing is just ridiculous, I think someone has it in for Sean for some reason and just wanted to create some trouble for him.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,760 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Besides...there is no "J" word. Anyone can say Jew, just like anyone can say Christian.

This story may be the most idiotic I have ever heard, second only to those stories about winning money at online poker. image
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,725 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not possible. Sean Salisbury went to Cal Berkeley. It is not possible for Cal students/alums to make anti-semitic or other politically incorrect statements, since their hearts are pure, since they are enlightened and since they have advanced beyond such things on the human evolutionary scale.
  • Options
    absolute non story lol.
  • Options
    I thought Salisbury went to USC.

And Ive heard the expression "chewing up yardage" forever.

Talk about creating a worthless controversy.
  • Options
    Regardless of what happened, Salisbury is an arrogant moron. Can't stand listening to him rant on about any subject.

Just my 2 cents.

Peace
    Trying to complete 1970 psa set.
    45% complete.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I thought Salisbury went to USC.

And Ive heard the expression "chewing up yardage" forever.

Talk about creating a worthless controversy. >>

Yeah I never heard of Jewing up anything...

....now... Jewing down...???

KIDDING GUYS image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Non-story.

I'm glad -- I like Sean S.
  • Options
    BigAlBigAl Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭

Yeah I never heard of Jewing up anything...

Re: Grossman's QB rating

Salisbury's taken about 10 too many concussions...I take anything coming out of that pie hole w/ a friggin grain....

• Options
    DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭
    Someone just has it in for Salisbury.
    "So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee