Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

The greatest baseball (or sports) card fads in collecting history

2»

Comments

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭
    amazing that after one of the most dominant careers in NBA history, shaq cards have lost so much value. wow.
    Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options

<< <i>Anyone remember the Manon Rheaume craze with Classic? Middle Aged men just had to have a card of a woman goalie... >>

as far as that in concerned just think of classic period i remember how there card were oh so popular now they are crap used to line my fireplace..lol
    my t-205's

looking for low grade t205's psa 1-2
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Heck, even those original Green Classic game cards. I have the box game somewhere. But you hardly ever see those up for auction or graded. No body bothers. >>

Remember the Bo Jackson card from that green set was one of his best cards? Usually sold for around $45. Speaking of Bo someone mentioned the 1990 Score black and white card of his. Remember the similar purple bordered card from the 1989 Score football supplemental set? Another $25-$30 card at the time. If there were two players that defined circa-1990 card collecting they were Bo and Cecil Fielder.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Anyone remember the Manon Rheaume craze with Classic? Middle Aged men just had to have a card of a woman goalie... >>

as far as that in concerned just think of classic period i remember how there card were oh so popular now they are crap used to line my fireplace..lol >>

Sure do bender!

I got this from the C3 classic club - I sent it to a board member. She has a good home.

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    Tedw9Tedw9 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭

<< <i>amazing that after one of the most dominant careers in NBA history, shaq cards have lost so much value. wow. >>

I remember getting caught up in the Shaq rookie craze. Regular packs of Fleer series 2 were going for about $5, jumbo packs for $10.

Two weeks ago I was able to pick up 25 or so Fleer regular Jumbo packs and Ultra 2 packs for 50 cents a pack. I've been debating on ripping them for the fun of it. image

You would think that such a dominate players rookies would be worth more than $10 or so. Even if it is new and overproduced.
    Looking for Carl Willey items.
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭✭
    Here's another late 1980s fad for ya; buying up lots of 100 (or even 1000!!) of the same card/player, especially rookie cards. One letter in the Readers Write section of a mid 1990s Beckett wrote in response that if the reader needed some wallpapering done, he's got a 100 card lot of 1988 Score Sam Horn cards. I also read somewhere else that a washed-up major leaguer was doing a card show and a frustrated collector showed him thousands of his cards, didn't say a word, but gave him that "look what I wasted my time/money on" look. Ouch!
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    The most underrated fad was the 1989 Hoops David Robinson card because it brought basketball cards into mainstream collecting. Then the Shaq thing took it to a whole nother level. Shaq was responsible for a lot of crazy stuff, including the popularity of Classic packs (4-Sport and Basketball Draft Picks specifically), Series 2 sets, the debate whether insert cards are considered RCs, Redemption cards (Hoops Draft redemption and UD series one with Shaq's shadow), Beam Team, and I'm sure I'm missing some. None of this stuff would have been nearly as popular if the "surest thing in the history of sports" wasn't included in the sets.

Another fad would be the revival of old brands, such as Bowman, Leaf and Parkhurst. They're even doing it today with Turkey Red.

Also, how about Garbage Pail Kids?

Lee
  • Options
    Can't forget 2003 Fleer Patchworks. I remember when those came out, everyone went crazy getting those cards/boxes since I believe they were the first set that actually guaranteed patches
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>ProSet Santa Claus Card, Detroit Pistons Championship Card, MJ taking BP in a white sox uni card (before his "retirement"), Nolan Ryan throwing a football... >>

Didnt read the whole thread again, but Eric Lindros batting for the Blue jays