Home Sports Talk
Options

Crap! J.D. Drew is finally a Red Sox!

I was hoping that the long delay in signing Drew was a ploy to get someone reliable in right field. I predict that this addition will be the worst money spent on a player in the last 10 years! He will crumble under the pressure in Boston and they will have to eat most of his contract!

5 years for 70 million.....no way!

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When did this happen? UGHHHH!!!! I was hoping this whole thing was just going to go away, I hope they ironed out a injury clause because he will get injured.

Why am I getting Jose Offerman Flashes????????? image
  • Options
    LOL. lets see who plays more games this year.

Trot Nixon or JD Drew. any bets?
  • Options
    I sometimes wonder if Theo and John Henry realize that baseball is more than the number that Bill James comes up with every year.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why does any team deal with Borasssss? About 80% of his deals is a screw job for the team.
  • Options
    He probably broke his wrist signing the contract.
  • Options

<< <i>He probably broke his wrist signing the contract. >>

Or at least sprained a ligament in his finger...........image
  • Options
    Well after sitting on this for a bit, I have decided now that he is a Red Sox guy we need to stand by him and hope for the best. Drew can put up better #'s than Nixon but not near as much of the scrappy style of play, as long as Manny and Papi are healthy Drew will not be under too much pressure in the lineup so Sox fans lets give him a chance.......image
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Well after sitting on this for a bit, I have decided now that he is a Red Sox guy we need to stand by him and hope for the best. Drew can put up better #'s than Nixon but not near as much of the scrappy style of play, as long as Manny and Papi are healthy Drew will not be under too much pressure in the lineup so Sox fans lets give him a chance.......image >>

Sure, as long as he stays off the DL . . . . . . .
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really WANT to be excited about this deal, but I just can't be. I hope Drew shows us that we are all really stupid for doubting his athletic prowess and ability to withstand injury for a full season. I hope I eat my words when Drew hits .300 and drives in 120 runs on his way to a Gold Glove award.

• Options
    Here is my prediction for J.D. Drew
    .289, 85 runs, 25 HR, 90 RBI if relatively healthy.
    course.. if Trot Nixon is healthy in cleveland...(crossing fingers)
    he will put up similar numbers and cost much less image

• Options
    Just saw on MSG that Drew did pass his physical and the deal was signed.

And now the bad news.......

JD Drew was placed on the disabled list for 30 days for a hangnail he received when his forefinger gripped the pen wrong when he was in such a hurry to get his name on the contract.

Holes-in-One
    1. 7-17-81 Warrenton GC Driver 310 yards 7th Hole (Par 4)
    2. 5-22-99 Warrenton GC 6 iron 189 yards 10th Hole
    3. 7-23-99 Oak Meadow CC 5 iron 180 yards 17th Hole
    4. 9-19-99 Country Lake GC 6 iron 164 yards 15th Hole
    5. 8-30-09 Country Lake GC Driver 258 yards 17th Hole (Par 4)

Collector of Barber Halves, Commems, MS64FBL Frankies, Full Step Jeffersons & Mint state Washington Quarters
  • Options

<< <i>Here is my prediction for J.D. Drew
    .289, 85 runs, 25 HR, 90 RBI if relatively healthy.
    course.. if Trot Nixon is healthy in cleveland...(crossing fingers)
    he will put up similar numbers and cost much less image >>

Here is my Prediction, Drew .280 23 Hrs, 82 RBI. Nixon- .269 18 Hrs, 57 RBI.

I think if they both stay healthy Drew has the upside.
  • Options
    By the way....nowhere near the $$$$$$ But we got to cheer for him now.....
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    OT here a little bit, but any one trying to get tickets to see JD Drew (and the rest of the team, of course) this morning? I've been shut out so far.
  • Options

<< <i>OT here a little bit, but any one trying to get tickets to see JD Drew (and the rest of the team, of course) this morning? I've been shut out so far. >>

No luck for me either today. Fortunately, I live close to their AA team so I can get my fix that way.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    I live in Northern California so my only fix is going to be when they come out to play the A's.

I'm still waiting in the "Virtual Waiting Room" for tickets, but I think that I'm outta luck.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trot is going to be part of a platoon (at least that's what I have been reading), so maybe 15 HR's/65-70 RBI. Sad to see him go. Reminded me of Dewey in some ways.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    I hated to see Nixon go also, but let's face it - you want to talk about oft-injured guys? Wasn't Nixon injured all of the time? I loved his attitude, and the fact that he often played hurt, but if we are going to get on Drew about injuries before he has even had one AB in Boston, you have to be fair and remember Nixon's injury-prone ways as well.

I like Drew - he's going to have big numbers this season in the number 5 slot behind Manny.