Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I just received the COOLEST, unexpected gift from forum member, IGWT

RYKRYK Posts: 35,789 ✭✭✭✭✭
I came home from work today to find an oversized envelope from Lou containing a custom t-shirt. On the obverse, in gold letters. "I Ran the Dahlonega $5 Marathon" and on the reverse, a photo of my 1861-D $5, bigger than life. A note from Lou suggested that it would "chic bourse wear", but I am more likely to actually wear it running. image

A big public THANKS to Lou for the generous and thoughtful gift. image

(PS I will model it later and get my wife, who will think I am an even bigger loser than she thought possible, to snap a photo, and post the photo to this thread).

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That is a very cool gesture. image IGWT!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Good coin geek coiture.
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭
    Thats freakin awesome. Its good for business as well as casual affairs.
  • Options
    mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    Yep, very thoughtful and generous. I'm a fan for IGWT.

Coin ON!
  • Options
    cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,690 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice story.

Brings balance to all the cynicism on the board.
    Many happy BST transactions
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    I've always wanted to wear this to a show:

• Options
    VERY cool!

I vote that we keep IGWT on our coins! image

FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    MyqqyMyqqy Posts: 9,777
    PS I will model it later and get my wife, who will think I am an even bigger loser than she thought possible, to snap a photo, and post the photo to this thread).

That's outstanding!! image
    My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable !
  • Options
    OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow, can't wait for the photos.
  • Options
    sweet gift!
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always wanted to wear this to a show:

image >>

Change the last part to "....and they wanted to steal the shirt off my back!"

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    Way cool!!!!!!!!!!!
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options

<< <i>(PS I will model it later and get my wife, who will think I am an even bigger loser than she thought possible, to snap a photo, and post the photo to this thread). >>

Better yet, let your wife model it and YOU snap the photo! image
    FULL Heads RULE!
  • Options
    After my eight year old son snapped the photos, he called me a geek.

• Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool! He should have switched the front and back of your shirt, though. That'd be funny.
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Cool image
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭
    Wow the man behind the mask is not at all what I had pictured after a couple years of posting.

Congrats again for completing but not finishing the set. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    WOW - it really is wierd seeing the man behind the keyboard. If I saw that picture during a credentials meeting, I would need to defer and look further into your application. You're a true coin geek!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haha! Terrific! image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RYK---Suggest that you don't wear it to the next FUN show. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    IGWTIGWT Posts: 4,975
    You'll remember the thread in which RYK described collecting Dahlonega $5 as a "marathon." The metaphor cried out to be put on a T-shirt to commemorate his accomplishment. It was also the cheapest gift that I could think of . . . but I didn't expect to pay the price of seeing him wear it. image
  • Options
    ttownttown Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Sweetimage
  • Options
    LongacreLongacre Posts: 16,717 ✭✭✭
    I actually think that shirt looks pretty cool. I would have rather seen it on a 6'2" Swedish model though. image
    Always took candy from strangers
    Didn't wanna get me no trade
    Never want to be like papa
    Working for the boss every night and day
    --"Happy", by the Rolling Stones (1972)
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I actually think that shirt looks pretty cool. I would have rather seen it on a 6'2" Swedish model though. image >>

I'd rather see it on a female. image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    Speaking of numismatic fashion, I have bittersweet memories of this t-shirt, this thread, and my deceased friend, Lou. image
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree - miss seeing him at the shows and PM-ing........
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn.

Cool shirt. Great gesture. Sad thread.
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,456 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Damn.

Cool shirt. Great gesture. Sad thread. >>

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to whoever boosted this thread. Lou lives on in memory and in spite of sadness, he and I had some of the funniest chats in "private messages". He made me feel "normal" here.
  • Options
    speetyspeety Posts: 5,424
    Lou was one of the good guys on herre image

He got me a couple times by hijacking someones avatar and making a wierd post so I had to actually start reading the names and not just going by the avatars... image
    Want to buy an auction catalog for the William Hesslein Sale (December 2, 1926). Thanks to all those who have helped us obtain the others!!!

• Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    Lou is sadly missed by all who knew him. He was a good friend, a contributing coin club member, serious numismatist, and a darn good coin photographer. I notice that a thread he started a few years ago remains at the top of the coin forum ATS, a constant reminder of his positive contributions to the hobby.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    pontiacinfpontiacinf Posts: 8,915 ✭✭
    I knew this was an old thread, not sure why I rememberd it

then I did.

good man he was.

Go BIG or GO HOME. ©Bill

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file