Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Grant Hill be in the Hall of Fame?

Without injuries, there is no doubt - how about the way he stands now? Think he will fall way too short?

- Joe

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>"Not even close to being a HOF" >>

I agree 100 % Is he even still playing??????????????????

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Horace Grant will make it before Grant Hill does.
  • Options
    Grant Hill is most well known for...... being injured much of the time. If they had a section for most injured players maybe he would
    qualify.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    No way... Not sure if he'd be a candidate even if he did play a full career. Solid all around player though. I was happy to have him with Detroit while he was here.
  • Options
    mkg809mkg809 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭
    There should be a "Bust" HOF and he could be there with Ryan Leaf and many others.
  • Options
    yes, he's still playing and playing pretty well, despite his age and injuries. very frail, but a good all around player when healthy
  • Options
    jradke4jradke4 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭
    if there is a wing for the most injured player. or the player that has made the most $$$/game played in a season. or for the player that has made the most $$ from a team for the lowest % of games played.
    Packers Fan for Life
    Collecting:
    Brett Favre Master Set
    Favre Ticket Stubs
    Favre TD Reciever Autos
    Football HOF Player/etc. Auto Set
    Football HOF Rc's
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    The Basketball Hall of Fame, I believe includes a players college career so Grant Hill has a decent chance at election.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a Pistons fan, I hope he never makes it. At least getting rid of him brought us a title.
    Mike
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As a Pistons fan, I hope he never makes it. At least getting rid of him brought us a title. >>

I'm not really a big Grant Hill fan, I just decided to ask the question because he was certainly on track before the recurring injuries. Out of curiousity, why do you dislike him as a Pistons fan? Jerry Stackhouse is one of my favorite players and I watched almost every game of Grant's last season with the Pistons and the fans seemed to have loved him. What makes him disliked by Detroit fans now?

Thanks,

Joe
  • Options
    airjoedanairjoedan Posts: 776 ✭✭✭
    Also to note, I'm not a Pistons fan either....I was just curious as to what people thought on Grant's hall of fame potential. It's been interesting to see certain players whose career was cut short due to injury of even death (Drazen Petrovic) to make the basketball hall of fame without living up to their full potential. Does Grant have a shot? Most don't think so, I'm not sure either -

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>What makes him disliked by Detroit fans now? >>

I'm only guessing as to why he no longer likes him, but many Detroit fans were angry because he left. Like other fans, they're always angry when their best players leaves the team. People (including myself) thought Detroit was getting robbed with the sign and trade deal, which ended up bringing Ben Wallace to the Pistons and later a championship. At the time, the deal seemed completely lopsided and in the Magics favor. But while Wallace was helping the Pistons win, Grant was sitting with injuries.

In the end, I was upset that Grant left like the rest of the Pistons fans. But with class, he took out a full page in the Detroit Press thanking the fans before he left. I was still bitter and found consolation in the fact Wallace turned into an All-Star while Hill was always injured. But in time, I've come to appreciate Hill as a player and am glad he's finding success again in the league. He's a classy guy, hard worker and a good role model. That seems to be rare in sports these days, so kudos and good luck to him on the rest of his career.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I could see Grant Hill being a coach. That would be one way for him to get to the HOF!

Not sure if that is something he aspires to do, though.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    I am not sure if he is or isn't, but I am sure that he has a way better chance than many posters have given him. The guy was a fantastic player in his prime and is still good now. It is really a shame that his injuries have destroyed his career and the perceptions people have of him. The guy is all class and everything that is good about professional sports. (And while he is not as good a player as the big Dead Head, Bill Walton is a good precedent for a player who is in the HOF despite an injury destroyed career...).
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭
    So is Grant like the "Jose Canseco of basketball"?
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    Grant Hill is a solid citizen of B-Ball. For the uninformed, he is not the Jose Canseco of basketball. That is an ignorant comment. His Dad (Calvin) was a solid citizen of the sports world with the Dallas Cowboys.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...
  • Options

<< <i>I am not sure if he is or isn't, but I am sure that he has a way better chance than many posters have given him. The guy was a fantastic player in his prime and is still good now. It is really a shame that his injuries have destroyed his career and the perceptions people have of him. The guy is all class and everything that is good about professional sports. (And while he is not as good a player as the big Dead Head, Bill Walton is a good precedent for a player who is in the HOF despite an injury destroyed career...). >>

Gregmo32,
    I am not sure the two compare that well. G Hill has never one a title in his injury destroyed career. Walton won two. He carried his team to the first one in Portland. That being said, you are right he definitely still has a shot.
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    True, the difference in Walton and Hill is the first title, the one in which Walton and his teammates dominated the league. Hill still has a chance for the type of title Walton got in his second championship. He could be a sixth man for a very good team and win one here in the twilight of his career.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As a Pistons fan, I hope he never makes it. At least getting rid of him brought us a title. >>

I'm not really a big Grant Hill fan, I just decided to ask the question because he was certainly on track before the recurring injuries. Out of curiousity, why do you dislike him as a Pistons fan? Jerry Stackhouse is one of my favorite players and I watched almost every game of Grant's last season with the Pistons and the fans seemed to have loved him. What makes him disliked by Detroit fans now?

Thanks,

Joe >>

As anyone in Detroit could attest, Grant was sort of an enigma while he was here. He was a great player, but you never felt that he really enjoyed it here. He never bonded with the fans. During his last year he kept saying how he wanted to end his career here and then on the first day of free agency, he takes off for Orlando. Joe Dumars never had a chance to make an offer to him. In fact Dumars had already signed Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins to contracts since the Magic had to cut them to sign Hill. The sign and trade was done afterwards to allow Grant to the get max contract. Since the NBA salary cap is designed to allow teams to offer the highest money to their own free agents, Hill leaving was a slap in the face.

I don't have the same animosity (sp?) towards Ben Wallace. Chicago offered him the bank and he wasn't worth that much even to the Pistons. Plus his style wasn't working anymore in Detroit, the Pistons are trying to increase the offense. Winning a title will always make him one of my favorites. I know Pistons' fans are mad at him, but everything has to come to end eventually.

As for Stackhouse, he was a well-liked player, but for basketball reasons, I thought that was a great trade. His style of game didn't really lend itself well to the team game. I remember many games where the other four guys would stand around as Stack drove to the basket and got fouled. That would really slow the flow of the offense. Rip Hamilton is also a great mid-range shooter, which is rare in the NBA.

Mike
  • Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Grant Hill is a solid citizen of B-Ball. For the uninformed, he is not the Jose Canseco of basketball. That is an ignorant comment. His Dad (Calvin) was a solid citizen of the sports world with the Dallas Cowboys. >>

I only meant "Jose Canseco of basketball" in terms of both players getting injured constantly. Mr. Canseco's personality had nothing to do with it. I'm sorry I wasn't clear about that in the beginning.
    WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Walton is in the Hall because of his college career. Had he not played college ball it is doubtful he would be in the Hall.
  • Options
    yeah bill walton in the HOF is a joke for his NBA career
  • Options
    mojorobmojorob Posts: 392 ✭✭
    Grant Hill is not even close to a HOFer based on his NBA career.
    Not even in the ball park.
    Get Serious!!
  • Options
    Happy birthday Grant!
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the HOF covers college, pro, and Olympic basketball, I think Grant Hill is a lock.
  • Options
    lightningboylightningboy Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭
    There should be a "Bust" HOF and he could be there with Ryan Leaf and many others.

Seriously??? The guy is a 6 time all star, played for 19 years and averaged just under 17 ppg, 6 reb, and 4 assists. He was a solid player. He wont make the Hall, but he wont be denied entrance to visit, like Leaf should.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There should be a "Bust" HOF and he could be there with Ryan Leaf and many others.

Seriously??? The guy is a 6 time all star, played for 19 years and averaged just under 17 ppg, 6 reb, and 4 assists. He was a solid player. He wont make the Hall, but he wont be denied entrance to visit, like Leaf should. >>

Two things:

1) You're replying to a 5-year old post
    2) The basketball HOF has different standards and is not exclusive to their professional playing career.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts