Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Wiffle Discs and Funmeal Discs

One of the things I like most about putting together player sets is that you become acquainted with so many different sets. I was looking at some of the registry participant's sets last night and I ran across something I found confusing . . . the 1976 Wiffle Discs and the 1977 Burger Chef Funmeal Discs look like they are identical.

Does anyone know the history of either of these sets? As far as I know, the Wiffle Discs were included in boxes of wiffle balls and I would assume the Burger Chef cards came with Burger Chef products. Is it possible though that the Funmeal Discs just used the same pictures and designs to save money? Any insight or comments would be much appreciated.

imageimage

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    TheVon:

I think the FunMeal discs are also available on "Placemats" featuring all the discs for a particular team. Perhaps someone else here has more insight, but I think that is it...

Most of the 1970s era disc cards used stock phots from Michael Schecter Associates, MSA, and those pictures also appear on the Dairy isle discs, Red Barn, Wendy's, etc. from the same era.

~ms
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    TheVonTheVon Posts: 2,725
    Thanks for shedding some light on that for me!

Have you seen one of those placemats recently? That seems like a pretty cool "retro" piece of memorabilia.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Clarification -- not a placemat, more of the "Happy Meal" box...

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    I can tell you that the Burger Chef Nolan Ryan disc is very hard to find in PSA 9 or better condition. The cut marks on the piece (so the kiddies could tear them from the tray) were way off center for most of them. I went through a good dozen sheets until i found one that came back a PSA 9, and there is only one other 9, no tens.
    Collecting Nolan Ryan Master, 1968 Basic, and WHA, as well as unused and authentic tickets from 60s-70s rock concerts.
  • Options
    All the Schecter fronts are the same, but the backs are different. The Burger Chef cards actually have little caracatures (sp?) on the back. The wiffle cards say wiffle.

Does anyone know for sure that the 76 Wiffles came in the box ?? Most folks like me got the set as a send away offer. I do not remember them in the box at all. In the subsequent set, in 78, the cards were printed on the outside of the box . these complete boxes are often auctioned on EBay. I've never seen one of the 78s graded though cause no one can cut the disc out even enough to get it graded.

Any other thoughts ?
  • Options
    downtowndowntown Posts: 671 ✭✭✭
    I do remember the disc coming inside the box of 1 wiffle ball. Many individual boxes per display box. I had many of the cards as a kid for we played wiffle ball day and night til we went to fast pitch with the tennis ball...Home Run Derby.
    I collect Seattle Pilots autographs, 1969 Topps autographs, Signed Mickey Mantle Home Run History cards and have a JC Martin collection (he was my college Baseball coach)
    Doug
  • Options
    I was going to jump in with the Fun Meal scan but mikeschmidt beat me to it. I have the same one sitting in front of me right now. I was just getting ready to seperate the discs for my player sets.

Red

Looking for 81-84 Topps Stickers in PSA 9 or better, 81 Topps Scratch offs, 83 Topps Fold outs in PSA 8 or better, 83 Fleer Stamps and 81/86 Fleer Star Stickers in PSA 9 or better.
    >