Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Question about PayPal - buyer intentionally not receiving the merchandise

I've been very fortunate with Ebay/PayPal - no problems with over 300 transactions but it appears as though I'm going to run into my first problem.

A buyer paid with PayPal and I promptly shipped his order by UPS (United Parcel Service). The problem is that UPS has been to his address at least two to three times and has not delivered the package. A lot of times, UPS now will just leave packages at a doorstep, but perhaps this buyer is not in an area in which UPS wants to do that.

The lot sold for $94 and it'll get returned so I'm not worried about that end of it. But I'm sure this guy will file a "none delivery" with PayPal and ask for his money back. I don't mind giving his money back, it's just that I don't want to "screw up" the PayPal account because I have of course read various horror stories here about PayPal. So I just want to be prepared.

I do feel basically almost 100% sure that this guy isn't going to accept delivery on the package because I had some other "minor" problems with him as well which I don't think need to be mentioned.

Believe it or not - This guy actually already left positive "glowing " feedback for me. I don't know if he mistook my auction for another when he was posting his feedback or whatever. And I know that ebay feedback means nothing as far as PayPal is concerned...but wanted to add this in case this is some kind of scam that I'm not aware of, sorta maybe this guy wants me to think he is happy, thinks I'm "not looking" and then tries to scam me in some way with PayPal?

Any comments or advice would be most appreciated. Again...I'm not that worried about the $94 as I am about "wrecking" my PayPal account or this guy scamming me in some unforeseen way.

Thank you!

Steve

Comments

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also - it was a PayPal confirmed name and address I shipped to.
  • Options
    storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    I guess you should just be happy that - it appears - you
    are going to get the merch back.

If you wanted to try to save the deal, you could contact
    the buyer and tell him that the UPS guy cannot find him.

When the item gets back to you, you should refund him
    through PayPal - NOT through any other method. Once
    you have refunded him, any INR dispute/claim he files
    with PP will fail.

I would be tempted to ding him for any extra UPS fees and
    the EBAY fees, but I cannot say for sure whether I would
    actually do that.

I would ad the guy to my BBL.

Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 28,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I guess you should just be happy that - it appears - you
    are going to get the merch back.

If you wanted to try to save the deal, you could contact
    the buyer and tell him that the UPS guy cannot find him.

When the item gets back to you, you should refund him
    with PP will fail.

I would be tempted to ding him for any extra UPS fees and
    the EBAY fees, but I cannot say for sure whether I would
    actually do that.

I would ad the guy to my BBL. >>

<<<<< When the item gets back to you, you should refund him
    with PP will fail. >>>>>

Storm888 - Thank you! A tip like that is exactly what I was looking for - I think that resolves the "problem" for me.

MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!

Steve
  • Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are the other issues enough that someone would deliberately not answer his door? How would he know it was your package?

If I am not home for UPS, which is usually the case, they either leave the package or a stickey letting me know I missed them. I would have the option to be home the next day or call and pick it up. As you mentioned, he may live in an area where leaving a package is not desirable. Also, most card sales are done with USPS, which have different delivery methods.

I think that you should contact the buyer and let him know UPS is trying to deliver. Maybe he just does not know. Benefit of doubt. It may also work. It sounds like you are prepared for the worst scenario.

Best of luck!
    #LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    Not on eBay, but I ship better than 10,000 packages a year through UPS. Despite what they may 'tell you', here are a few things to keep in mind...

(1) The driver makes the decision of whether or not he/she feels comfortable leaving a package at the door. This is of no help to you, because then YOU won't have a signature if anything goes wrong. If you want a guaranteed signature, then you have to pay for that service. (Keep in mind that doesn't mean the signature will be legible, or UPS can even tell you 'who' scribbled for package.)

(2) If you have a problem, the driver has about 2 weeks to respond to an inquiry to see what they 'remember' about the package. UPS can then jerk you around for a month or more (while they pretend to investigate), hoping you just give up and go away, rather than them having to pay out a claim.

(3) In the meantime, this process has taken waaaaaaay too long, meaning you have either (a) lost a good customer, or (b) lost a chargeback case, all because of the poor customer service UPS provides.

Don't take this as my attacking UPS, but do be aware that things are not 'cut and dried', just as with eBay/Paypal's 'Buyer Protection' guarantee. If you are doing shipping as a business, you'd better be prepared to 'eat one' every once in a while, through no fault of your own.

stevek, just be glad to get this package back - refund the seller, and be done with it.
    Collecting my sports heroes, Roger Staubach and Kirby Puckett.