Home Sports Talk

Golden Age of the NFL

I was 14 years old the first time I watched this game - it was great then and even better the second time around. As I watched the NFL Network's replay of Super Bowl XIII (Jakie Smith's drop, Randy White's cast did my boys in) I found myself utterly satisfied watching a game that was not beset with the "look at me-it's all about me" behavior that is ever present in today's game. Yes today's players are bigger, stronger, & faster but the game I grew up watching just seems more pure. I love the NFL but after seeing what was versus what is I feel as if we've lost something along the way...............

Curious as to what you all think.

Congratulations to the Bears & Colts. I hope Peyton gets his ring!
Collecting:
Dallas Cowboys
SuperBowl MVPs
Heisman Trophy Winers

Comments

• wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Enjoyed the music, movies and NFL games of the late 70's,
    and I enjoy the music, movies and NFL games of today even though they are all a lot different than they used to be.

Everything else changes, why shouldn't sports?

I recall the 1960's as being the golden age of the NFL,
    and I'm sure guys older than me ( are there any? ) remember the NFL in the 1950's as being the golden age. image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Golden Age of the NFL passed around 45 years ago...

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I was 14 years old the first time I watched this game - it was great then and even better the second time around. As I watched the NFL Network's replay of Super Bowl XIII (Jakie Smith's drop, Randy White's cast did my boys in) I found myself utterly satisfied watching a game that was not beset with the "look at me-it's all about me" behavior that is ever present in today's game. Yes today's players are bigger, stronger, & faster but the game I grew up watching just seems more pure. I love the NFL but after seeing what was versus what is I feel as if we've lost something along the way...............

Curious as to what you all think.

Congratulations to the Bears & Colts. I hope Peyton gets his ring! >>

In my opinion the best in the NFL is now. I don't want "Arena Football" but I like the increased speed and excitement of the NFL game versus years ago. The progression of the NFL has been almost flawless in my view. Can't say that about some other professional sports.

-
  • AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    I never thought i'd say this, but I agree with SteveK. Who would have bet on that? I've been watching for 25 years and the game has never been as strong as it is today.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The whole history of the NFL is great, any era is good enough for Me. I love NFL films as much as the games right now.
  • stevekstevek Posts: 27,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Of course some people call it the "No Fun League" - that to me is a ridiculous comment. I like the action and the players enthusiasm - that can get out of hand though and in my opinion the NFL disciplines it just about right, if not exactly right.

• << <i>Of course some people call it the "No Fun League" - that to me is a ridiculous comment. I like the action and the players enthusiasm - that can get out of hand though and in my opinion the NFL disciplines it just about right, if not exactly right. >>

I don't mind the showboat dancing in the endzone as long as it doesn't get out of hand to the point of tauting a player from
    the other team.
  • The 1970's were the golden age in my opinion (Jack Youngblood played the entire 1979 playoffs and superbowl with a broken leg and a cast).

I heard a radio announcer the other day say that watching an NFL game nowadays is like watching a fight between the Bloods and Crips without the guns.
  • I enjoy the game now as much as ever. What I don't get into anymore is all the media hype. I can't remember the last time I watched a pre-game, halftime, or post-game show. Half of the time I watch the primetime games with remote in hand just to "mute" the announcers when they start getting carried away. The on-the-field action, though, is as good as it's ever been, IMHO.
    I dont believe I have EVER watched pre-game or halftime shows for that matter.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,477 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Cowboys had their share of brash players back then, too--Thomas "Hollywood" Henderson comes to mind. My favorite quote from him was when he said Terry Bradshaw was so dumb he couldn't spell "Cat" if you spotted him the C and the T.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • I'm young at 21, but I also feel that todays game is at its' very best. I'm an avid watcher of NFL Films with Steve Sabol, and own many old NFL Films tapes. But the game has become much more precise/analyzed(by players via more modern technology) and because the game has softened up for the offenses(which I don't particularly care for myself) it's a much higher scoring league and much larger stats. But the talent is there, moreso than ever. Players are at their physical peaks in todays game; moreso than even the "steroid" era of the 70s-80s.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
    Their is no doubt the game is played with better althetes now, I dont care what anyone says about tuff 70's players, the players now are so much more put together and althleticly inclined, the game is 100 mph faster now and the stats will only get better.

IMO the rushing record will be broken by several players.
  • Perhaps my point has been lost in translation. I agree that the players of today are far more athletic & talented than those of the past. The game is faster & points come easier (because of rule changes more than anything) but I can do without all the showmanship (dances after sacks, flips into the end zone, making cell phone calls after tds, etc.) I know there was some of this going on "back in the day" (Billy White Shoes Johnson, Thomas Henderson Dunking the ball of the crossbar) but it was nowhere near what is today. A lot of today's players act as if it is "all about them" & it seems as if the team concept is dead. Free agency helped create this environment by creating a culture that compells players to always put themselves first in all matters and it seems as this mindset has carried over to the playing field-->in a negative way. While I'm all for the guys making a buck(or a whole lotta bucks!) but it shouldn't change the way they present themselves over the course of their careers. I guess I just miss the old school pros. I don't need ocho-cinco to entertain me-I just want to watch good football.
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
  • DirtyHarryDirtyHarry Posts: 1,914 ✭✭
    I'm not sure what the gist is here, but of all of our major US sport venues (Football, Baseball, Hoops) I feel that Football has changed the least. Only difference is that the game trailed behind the others in terms of compensating their atheletes and coaches.

I am fortunate enough to have watched every Super Bowl, and anxiously await wathing the Colts and Bears play just as much as I did watching the Packers and Chiefs play. That's why the Super Bowl has become a celebrated "holiday" in our society, and the World Series and NBA playoffs is an afterthought.

Regards.
    "A man's got to know his limitations...." Dirty Harry

Unfocused, impulsive collector of everything ...

• << <i>I'm not sure what the gist is here, but of all of our major US sport venues (Football, Baseball, Hoops) I feel that Football has changed the least. Only difference is that the game trailed behind the others in terms of compensating their atheletes and coaches.

I am fortunate enough to have watched every Super Bowl, and anxiously await wathing the Colts and Bears play just as much as I did watching the Packers and Chiefs play. That's why the Super Bowl has become a celebrated "holiday" in our society, and the World Series and NBA playoffs is an afterthought.

Regards. >>

NFL playoffs are "one and done" and that makes them more interesting, there is no tomorrow for the losers except next season so the
    stakes much higher with each game. MLB, NBA and NHL just seem to drag on and on with their playoffs.

• << <i>Players are at their physical peaks in todays game; moreso than even the "steroid" era of the 70s-80s. >>

The steroid era ended in the 80's? Anyone tell Shawne Merriman about this? image

• << <i>Perhaps my point has been lost in translation. I agree that the players of today are far more athletic & talented than those of the past. The game is faster & points come easier (because of rule changes more than anything) but I can do without all the showmanship (dances after sacks, flips into the end zone, making cell phone calls after tds, etc.) I know there was some of this going on "back in the day" (Billy White Shoes Johnson, Thomas Henderson Dunking the ball of the crossbar) but it was nowhere near what is today. A lot of today's players act as if it is "all about them" & it seems as if the team concept is dead. Free agency helped create this environment by creating a culture that compells players to always put themselves first in all matters and it seems as this mindset has carried over to the playing field-->in a negative way. While I'm all for the guys making a buck(or a whole lotta bucks!) but it shouldn't change the way they present themselves over the course of their careers. I guess I just miss the old school pros. I don't need ocho-cinco to entertain me-I just want to watch good football. >>

The antics and attitudes of athletes in all sports simply reflect that of society in general. The hip hop generation is more expressive in
    general and that is seen in end zone dancing etc., should we really expect them to behave any differently? I see it as a sign of the
    times and no big deal.
  • Football has changed the least? Are you serious?

-no contact with receivers after 5 yards
    -the slightest contact with the QB after the ball thrown results in a 15 yard penalty
    -massive rule changes that hurt defense, and promote offense

The game has been 'sissified' to the point that the QB should wear a skirt out there. Hard hits, once revered, are now penalized. Past greats like Ronnie Lott and Jack Tatum would be nobodies in today's league.

The game that has changed the least is far and away baseball, without a doubt.
  • [The game that has changed the least is far and away baseball, without a doubt. >>

As far as the actual playing of the game I would say yes. The schedule and playoff system is another story.

Whatever happened to double headers? The greedy owners can't bear the thought of giving the fans two games for
    the price of one?
    SteveA - I hear you. What I was trying to say was not related to the rules, but how the game has been viewed within our society. Football, especially the playoffs and Super Bowl is more popular and revered now than ever before when compared to same with other sports. Who goes to a World Series party? I think you know what I mean.

As previously mentioned, the Super Bowl cannot be fairly compared to championships in other sports because it's one game for all the marbles. As such, more money is gambled on the Super Bowl than all other championship series combined. That's also the reason why fantasy football is far and away the most popular of all fantasy sports, because the one a week matchups are far more exciting than the schedules of other sports.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
    Who cares about betting. I am discouraged that this board does not acknowledge this game. Regardless, put your loud asses on the line, and advise who is going to win this game and by how much.

Wow, someone's cranky today!

I am discouraged that this board does not acknowledge this game.

Huh?? There have been more posts and predictions on this board about the playoffs and the Super Bowl over the last few weeks than any other topic in sports!

• Colts 28 Bears 17.

FWIW maybe nothing. image
  • stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭

<< <i>put your loud asses on the line, and advise who is going to win this game and by how much. >>

Indi doesn't win by more than 7 and the total score is under 49 image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Colts 31
    Bears 17
    Collecting:
    Dallas Cowboys
    SuperBowl MVPs
    Heisman Trophy Winers
    Let's go for the push and piss everyone off!

Colts 31
    Bears 24