Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Liberian Pics

Been fighting with the camera for almost 2 hours now. Gawd how I hate photographing proofs. image

I decided to purchase 2 of the 7 Liberian proofs I received from NEN on approval:

1. 1868 2 Cent Pattern, KM-PN16. NGC PF64 BN CAMEO. This is the coin that I reference in the other thread, that I believe is NOT copper. The regular direct-on shots give it a brownish color, somewhat copper in appearance, but the second set at a different angle, and especially the angled-glass shots show a completely different color. If not copper-nickel or white metal, might it be bronzed or silvered? I'm tellin' ya, it ain't a normal copper piece.

imageimage

imageimage

Angled glass:

imageimage

2. 1890 2 Cent Pattern, KM-PN54. NGC PF66 RB. A stunningly reflective coin. Only the last picture begins to show how reflective the mirrors are... almost liquid. Also, this coin is schizophrenic -- the front is bright red with orange and bluish highlights, whereas the reverse is a dark reddish-brown, with a few red highlights, but covered entirely in blue.

Direct:

imageimage

Angled glass:

imageimage

Angled glass, but tilted to show true surfaces:

Comments

• Options
    Nice pics CP! image Just a thought, I use to have some nice old South Africa proof coppers. The older dates like 1923 sometimes had a grayish or silvery tone to them. These were mint darkened pieces, done so to keep from being confused with gold coins of the same period. Just wondering if this could have been done to your pattern piece. The British had been using this procedure since 1895 or so on farthings.
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Gorgeous pieces!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ooh, la la. Those are lovely.

I've always liked them but never had one.

If anybody comes across any less-expensive, circulated business strikes of this era in Liberian coinage, please let me know. I have a friend and local customer who is not only an avid coin collector but a Liberian as well. He shuns modern Liberian coinage and NCLT but would probably buy some 19th century pieces if they were under 30 bucks apiece or so. Not a big-budget guy, but supremely knowledgeable and worldly- I think he speaks seven languages. He was the head Butler for our sister resort for a while and is now in a different part of the company.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    theboz11theboz11 Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭
    Wonder coins. Beautifulimage
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Ooh, la la. Those are lovely.

I've always liked them but never had one.

If anybody comes across any less-expensive, circulated business strikes of this era in Liberian coinage, please let me know. I have a friend and local customer who is not only an avid coin collector but a Liberian as well. He shuns modern Liberian coinage and NCLT but would probably buy some 19th century pieces if they were under 30 bucks apiece or so. Not a big-budget guy, but supremely knowledgeable and worldly- I think he speaks seven languages. He was the head Butler for our sister resort for a while and is now in a different part of the company. >>

Yeah, these hardly qualify as "less expensive". image

I think the $30 figure for mid-19th century pieces may be a bit optimistic, unless he would be content with F-VF pieces. I think most of the pieces in XF or better will exceed that threshold...
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I think the $30 figure for mid-19th century pieces may be a bit optimistic, unless he would be content with F-VF pieces >>

I think he would be thrilled to get F-VF pieces. The few he has are more like AG-G.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.