Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Question about the mixed up 1979 / 1980 Topps football rack pack wrappers

I've got about 25 of the 1979 three wax pack (soft rack packs) that I was getting ready to ebay, and I just realized that this is the year where Topps also used the old 1979 wrappers and packaging on their 1980 cards too. I'd never looked at these very closly, but now that I'm ready to list some, I'm not sure what year to call them? I've picked these up in small batches over the years, so opening one up won't really tell me anything about the others.

Does anyone know if there's a sure fire way to tell which years are actually inside each one? I can't see the top cards through the wrapper enough to tell. Also, I read on some guys auction listing that he'd heard of both 1979 and 1980 cards being found together in the same rack packs. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Lastly, are there any other years that Topps or Fleer reused old wrappers like this? I'm listing a bunch of 70's and 80's wax and cello's this week, and I'd hate to get a negative feedback over a screwed up wrapper year.

Thanks in advance for any info you can give me, and any advice on how you'd list them.

Mike
"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/

Comments

• Options
    This was very common Mike

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THE YEARS BEING MIXED IN THE RACK,OR CELLOS OR PACKS ,Unless they are searched of course.

If you can tell the year of 1 card they should all be the same,As far as your listing on ebay most i have seen just list them as 79 racks and only sometimes will even mention in 80 wrapers.

Topps used the left over wrapers from many years from the late 70,s through the mid 80,s

I undestand since your knowledge is limited to round coasters how you may have not noticed this image
  • Options
    magellanmagellan Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭
    Mike,
    I'm not sure but you may have gotten some 80's racks with '79 wrappers from me. I also have an entire box of '81 football (wax) with '79 wrappers. I bought a "fun bag" supposedly from '78 with 76-77 Topps hockey wrappers when the cards inside were 78-79 hockey. Topps did this often repacking extras. I'm afraid I'm not much help in further identifying which is which other than opening. You're obviously not going to do that.

Good luck,
    Dave

Topps Heritage

Now collecting:
    Topps Heritage

1957 Topps BB Ex+-NM
    All Yaz Items 7+
    Various Red Sox
    Did I leave anything out?
  • Options
    If you get 1979 wrappers in soft grocery raks, they are probably 1980 cards.
    The only 1979 grocery raks are the tray variety.

But don't worry Mike, no matter how it turns out, people have grown used to be disappointed when winning your auctions.

Said in jest (for those that weren't sure).
    Jeremy
  • Options

<< <i>If you get 1979 wrappers in soft grocery raks, they are probably 1980 cards.
    The only 1979 grocery raks are the tray variety.

But don't worry Mike, no matter how it turns out, people have grown used to be disappointed when winning your auctions.

Said in jest (for those that weren't sure). >>

LOL To funny JEREMY, I WILL PULL FOR THE bEARS JUST FOR THAT LAUGH.

Mike do patato chip cards ever come in the wrong year bag? image

Said in jest (for those that weren't sure ,I like that line too image
  • Options
    shouldabeena10shouldabeena10 Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭
    imageimageimageimage

"Vintage Football Cards" A private Facebook Group of 4000 members, for vintage football card trading, sales & auctions. https://facebook.com/groups/vintagefootball/