Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has anyone heard anything new from Darth5oh?

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
Just curious.

Wish that his initial thread was still up.

Comments

• Options
    Board antics likely ran him off ... too bad, he seemed like a good guy.
  • Options
    He has been posting on the currency side trying to find information out on the paper money he acquired.

~Laura Kessler
    Laura A. Kessler
    Vice President
    PCGS Currency
    lkessler@pcgscurrency.com
    www.PCGSCurrency.com
  • Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    He's still here. I've got a few PM's from him.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump for curiosity. Was there ever a conclusion to the inherritance collection? I don't recall much after somebody went to take a look and help him evaluate things.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't one of his cousins also start posting? I think that the grandkids all got together and split the collection, and had a great family reunion in the process. Those were some of the best threads since I've been here.image

I don't recall seeing Darth on here for quite awhile.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Darth5ohDarth5oh Posts: 115 ✭✭

<< <i>I don't recall seeing Darth on here for quite awhile.image >>

He still lurks here every once-in-a-while... image
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see you lurking! image I think everyone enjoyed your family's collection vicariously, as every collector dreams of coming upon such a group of unmolested coins, and that everything worked out well for you with them. image
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Board antics likely ran him off ... too bad, he seemed like a good guy. >>

its to bad its gotta go that way at times image
  • Options
    Darth5ohDarth5oh Posts: 115 ✭✭
    Hey all,
    I’m getting a few PMs so I figured I’d just post a quick “update” and respond to the questions/comments from these two “where’s Darth” threads…

First - I can’t believe it’s been almost 6-years since the “Return” thread! The past several years have been the busiest I can recall… filled with all sorts of “life-events” which put the “collection” on the back-burner - and here it is years later...

The best update I have, is that I don’t have much of an update. image We still have the entire collection and have yet to send any coins out for grading. My hope is that life slows down a bit (no wait – a LOT) in the near future, and I can give the collection the attention it deserves without feeling pressured to move on anything. (Interestingly my oldest cousin, Jim, has built a sizable collection of his own.)

SanctionII: Hi! Actually, I still have two different copies of the first thread – one in MS Word, and another (condensed) in web/html format. Let me know if you want a copy.

Fletcher: “board antics” ran me off the first time. I came back with a little thicker skin on thread #2. Opinions vary on whether I’m a “good guy.” image

Laura: I have not posted on the paper forum for years. Is there an imposter over there?

Hi robertpr!

DrBuster: There may never be a conclusion. Kinda like you never finish restoring a car…

Jmski52: Yes – mostly from my oldest cousin, Jim. My youngest cousin, Bob chimed-in a few times too.

Originalisbest: I certainly remember you from the first threads. Thanks for the nice comments!

Hi Bochiman: Nice to see you too!

Barndog: BIG THANKs again to you for all the help you provided back then!

And thanks again to all who posted/helped in the two threads years ago! “Grampy” would have been blow-away by all those awesome comments!
    I’ll certainly post-up any significant updates when they happen! Cheers, CU !!
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He still lurks here every once-in-a-while...

lol, good to see you back!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,716 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello Darth5oh.

Nice to see you posting again. Thanks for the update.

It does not surprise me to see that the collection has not been disposed of by you and your cousins yet.

The monetary value of the collection is just one part of the package. Absent a dire need to liquidate, the other aspects of owning an inherited collection (family connection to grandparents, the collection prompting a reunion of sorts and [for those cousins with a streak of "curiosity" in their nature] a desire to learn something new) can dominate and cause the inheritors of the collection to keep it long term or to first learn about what they have in order to dispose of it in a manner that brings the most value.

Nor does it surprise me that one of the cousins is now collecting coins.

It would be nice if somehow the original thread could be reposted. Many on the forums (me included) would enjoy reading through it again (and for some newer members reading it for the first time).

Again, nice to hear from you.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Darth5oh,

Good to see you posting again image
    Aside from the pure monetary value, I just think it is cool as heck that something like that happened and that your grandfather had that kind of collection and that it remained original.
    Regrettably, something like that will never happen to me, but, in some ways, it may happen to my son or any grandkid he may give me image
    I am collecting for me, as well as for him in the future, so, who knows!

Again, good to see you around!

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be nice if somehow the original thread could be reposted. Many on the forums (me included) would enjoy reading through it again (and for some newer members reading it for the first time). >>

That thread was so good that a number of members thought it was a hoax. I loved it! As originalisbest said, we were enjoying the collection vicariously.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,914 ✭✭✭✭
    Indeed we were! Glad to have you around Darth5oh, and to hear that you and your cousins still have/enjoy the collection. Hope life slows down for you pleasantly and appropriately. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file