Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is the # minted of 1945 Micro S Mercs known?

JJMJJM Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
?
👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37,Waverly, justindan

Comments

  • Options
    jmj3esqjmj3esq Posts: 5,421 ✭
    Someone once told me there was approx. 100,000 minted. I have no idea where he heard this or if there is any truth to it. Just passing it on for what it is worth.
  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    thx Joe, anyone else ?????
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37,Waverly, justindan
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One could do a statistical analysis using number of offerings of regular S and micro S on a venue such as ebay, then correlate your findings with original mintage. If done properly, the number (a percentage of the total mintage) obtained for the micro mintage should be very close to the truth.

  • Options
    guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭


    I don't know,

    but I read somewhere important (can't remember where) that the Micro-S was one of those long term investment coins. That it has historically gone up in value every few years to warrant buying and keeping one.......so I did, and I'm hoping to buy a car with it in the year 2137.........



    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,326 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "but I read somewhere important (can't remember where) that the Micro-S was one of those long term investment coins. That it has historically gone up in value every few years to warrant buying and keeping one.......so I did, and I'm hoping to buy a car with it in the year 2137........."

    There's folks out there holding rolls of these. Interesting coin but not even considered scarce.

  • Options
    Correct. I don't have a number, but David Lange, in "The Complete Guide to Mercury Dimes" (1st ed.) calls it a R-2 in MS-60-65, and at the time the book was published (1993) the combined NGC/PCGS mint state population was 886. Must be much higher now.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I think these all come from the same die. I don't know how long a die last. The 1916-D has a mintage of 264,000 from four dies pairs. So in Denver in 1916 there was an average fo 66,000 per die. One can only speculate that production was better 29 years later. So a guess could be anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 range.

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    coppercoinscoppercoins Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I think these all come from the same die. I don't know how long a die last. The 1916-D has a mintage of 264,000 from four dies pairs. So in Denver in 1916 there was an average fo 66,000 per die. One can only speculate that production was better 29 years later. So a guess could be anywhere from 60,000 to 100,000 range. >>



    Cent dies of that era (1945) commonly exceeded 250,000 strikes. Maybe useful, maybe not...but that's what I can add to the conversation.
    C. D. Daughtrey, NLG
    The Lincoln cent store:
    http://www.lincolncent.com

    My numismatic art work:
    http://www.cdaughtrey.com
    USAF veteran, 1986-1996 :: support our troops - the American way.
    image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file