Home Metal Detecting
Options

'Scuze me while I daydream. Here's some coinshooting milestones I'd like to cross in 2007...

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
I haven't made a coinshooting breakthrough in probably nine years, now. By "breakthrough", I mean crossing some sort of milestone, like finding my first example of a particular coin type, or denomination.

Oldest coin date: still at 1658, and likely to remain there for some time unless I get really lucky or travel overseas.

Mintmarks: something with a CC mintmark would be nice! While I'm dreamin', something with a C or D (for Dahlonega) would be mighty sweet, too. Hey, I live in the South. It could happen... maybe...

Here are some types and denominations I haven't found yet.

Classic Head large cent, and any pre-1800 large cent. My first large cent was a corroded Draped Bust that might've been from before 1800, but it's undatable.

A Flying Eagle cent or copper-nickel Indian cent. Though I have seen others find them, these elude me. My earliest Indian cent remains an 1868. (Well, I have one that I think is an 1865, but it's pretty dang nasty. Still a year too new to be a copper-nickel, anyway.)

A two-cent or three-cent piece. These have still eluded me, though I have watched others find them.

An early half dime, or any half dime without a hole in it. I have four half dimes (an 1829 Bust and three Seated), but all are holed. I don't mind the holes, really- I collect nondug holey coins- but I would like to dig an unholed one.

A mintmarked Buffalo nickel. I have found plenty of Buffaloes, including one Type 1 piece, but so far not a single one has been mintmarked.

A Bust dime or any early pre-Seated type dime.

A 20-cent piece. Yeah, I know. Dream on, right?

A Bust or early quarter. I only have one Seated quarter, so another of them would be fine, too. Actually, it has been some time since I found a silver quarter of any type. Y'know, I would settle for a Washington from the 1930s, as I have not found one of those yet- all my silver Washingtons have been from the '40s or later.

A Seated or earlier half dollar. In silver halves, I have an Oregon Trail commem, a Barber, two Walkers, and a Franklin. Found a Kennedy once, but it was clad.

A silver dollar of any kind. Two years ago I got my first and only dollar coin- a 2001-P Sacagawea.

A gold coin of any kind. Probably the dream of most detectorists, and a signature moment for the lucky few who've found one.

A Spanish colonial 4-reales or 8-reales piece. Spanish silver does come up around here. Even the big 'uns, sometimes. So far I have three half-reales, one 1-real, and one 2-reales, but no 4-reales or 8-reales.

Silver Quantity. I forget my overall silver count at the moment. It's still well below 200 pieces, I think. But one milestone would be to find more than five silver coins in a single day. I have achieved the five-in-one-day only twice.

There. I would like to cross just ONE of those milestones this year. Even one of the modest ones.

What are your coinshooting "New Years' resolutions"?

Be they lofty goals or humble, modest ones, it's fun to challenge oneself and try to cross those milestones. Even if you're just beginning, you can try for that first Wheat cent. Then maybe your first silver coin. Or your first coin from the 1800s. Or the 1700s. One by one, the milestones pass as you spend time in this hobby and do it long enough. Sometimes you'll get a surprise and make a quantum leap beyond your expectations, and achieve more than one milestone with a single find. In the first few years, I crossed several milestones per year. Then they got fewer and fewer as they got more challenging. Now it's been almost a decade since I crossed one, and I'm ready for my next one!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Options
    Well!

Good luck and I'm pretty sure some of those milestones will be possible!

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Well, sure- most of them are possible, but some of them aren't very probable.

A few are quite attainable, though.

The mintmarked Buffalo nickel or 1930s Washington don't even count as full milestones, but they're something I'd like to see. Also, a coin from the 1840s. I have most of the other decades from the 1770s up covered, except the 1840s.

I think if I were to pick a realistic milestone I would like to cross this year, it would be the two-cent or three-cent piece.

I think I said that last January, too. It hasn't happened yet. But I did not do much detecting in 2006.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    What is the best coin you have every dug up or best relic....etc..

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    Best coin? That's an easy one. (Not my most valuable coin, but my "best" and my oldest.)

Best relic? A War Of 1812 US Light Dragoons belt plate, made in pewter. Corroded and bent, but rare, I sold it for $990 on eBay several years ago. The winning bidder later told me he would've paid up to $1250 for it. It was possibly only the second or third intact specimen known. The reference book on such plates only showed pictures of some fragments of one- they didn't even have an intact one to photograph for the book!

• Options
    if i had my choice, it would be either and 1871 or 1873 CC dime. i actually have an 1871 cc, but it has a hole in the date.
  • Options

<< <i>What are your coinshooting "New Years' resolutions"? >>

#1. Silver half dollar....want a Barber really bad , but I will not cry if a Walker or Franklin comes along.

#2. Tokens...Love 'em! Would like to add a few more to my total of 3 so far.

#3. Large Cent...any variety!

#4. A civil war artifact...anything! ( tho it's not coinshooting really)

#5. More buttons...I have dug so few.
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087
    What are your coinshooting "New Years' resolutions"?
    Something like this...
    and a tree coin.

Relic: Early silver buckle, a US box plate, and an engraved silver baby spoon from the 1600s.

Wildcard: Large Native artifact.

• Options
    My wish list is easy: Anything!! I just need to find time to get out and hunt!
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,748 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would like to find some more One Room School sites that no one has hunted.
  • Options
    That is a long list of goals. Good luck LM. I wouldn't say that list isn't accomplishable. It all depends on time committed and the venues.
  • Options
    Well, those aren't all for one year!

I would be happy to accomplish just ONE of the big ones, or one or two of the small ones!

• Options
    My goals...

1. Find a Wheat Cent

2. Find a silver coin (One that hasnt been planted by LM...)

That pretty much sums up my goals for this year... but I have a feeling, that I very well might cover those, and blow them away with one of the sites I am planning on visiting.
  • Options
    I would like to silver again in 2007. A Standing Lib quarter or a anything Barber would be cool.
  • Options
    I would like to find one of the following:

gold piece
    Bust coinage
    trade dollar
    half cent

Any american coinage prior to 1824.......
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    Silversanta- good to see you again. It's been a while?

• Options

<< <i>I would like to find one of the following:

gold piece
    Bust coinage
    trade dollar
    half cent

Any american coinage prior to 1824....... >>

Keep going to where you went for VTH and youll kill that.