Home U.S. Coin Forum

NP/Cherry VAMs

Nice little set that more than pays for themselves. (Raw grades are my best shots.)

1878-S VAM-91 MS61
1879 New Find MS62
1880 VAM-11 MS64
1900-O VAM-15A MS64
1904-O VAM-33 MS63
1921-D VAM-8A VEDS AU55
1921-S VAM-15A AU58
1921-D PCGS MS63 JOH-10 (I think that is a VAM now.)

The 8A is interesting as it has no cracks whatsoever except the one in the left wing. I hadn't realized it preceeded all the rest of them. Wonder if this is VAM-8 (probably is technically) and all VAM-8 specimens have that crack.
Select Rarities -- DMPLs and VAMs
NSDR - Life Member
SSDC - Life Member
ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Comments

• Nice finds.
    Vam's Give Free drug like rush when you find something . What is the 79-P ?
    Viet Nam Vet 66/67.
    Retired Coin Shop Owner .
    Still Collecting
    Love my Grandkids and my German Shepherd Dogs . Kind of like my wifes Cat.
  • CoxeCoxe Posts: 11,139

<< <i>Nice finds.
    Vam's Give Free drug like rush when you find something . What is the 79-P ? >>

It is clashed, with a clashed M and double clashed n (second discovery for me with a doubled clashed n for the date). 1879/1879 duobled date. DDR with prominent die scratches as well. I am sure Leroy will designate it unless someone found it in 2006.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • Nice assortment and grade of VAMs... If you don't mind me asking, what's the 78 S VAM 91 and what did you use for a reference? I've recently taken up pursuing Morgan VAMs and trying to broaden my knowledge about these.

Thanks,
    Ray
    Semper Fi,
    Ray

MGySgt USMC(ret)
    1979-2003
    Aviation Radar Technician
    Communications & Electronics Chief
    I use the guide Craig Lickenbrock and Leroy Van Allen put out last year. I highly recommend it. PM if you want Craig's email address to see about getting it. Can also get the info from here for that guide as well as other useful ones.
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member
  • I think the guide had an update not too long ago. It seems a couple of VAMmers have added to the list since the first guide was released (one of them was named Coxe). . . image
    Jeff

Semper ubi sub ubi
    I think I was a little hard on the grades for some of the picks. For instance, here was the 1900-O VAM-15A. I estimated the grade to be 64 in the car reviewing them after the purchase. Looking at it now, I cannot imagine it not getting 65 at PCGS and one or two grades possibly higher at NGC. The shots are a little blurry because I had to take them obliquely in the low light of the room here without getting a camera shadow. Strike is full and the only noticeable marks are the clashes, which are entirely dismissable in the grading.

imageimage
    NSDR - Life Member
    SSDC - Life Member
    ANA - Pay As I Go Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file