Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I sold my 1874-CC dime today and...

BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
...the new owner is a board member. I'll leave it up to him, if he wants to identify himself.

For those of you that don't know Seated Dimes, the 74-CC is the key to the series and is truly a rare coin. There are probably 50 or so in existence, and I've owned 7 of them over the years (and 5 at one time, several years ago.) This one is the highest graded, circulated piece. There are 3 MS coins - one 63 and two 62's. This one next, an AU53 which stands alone at #4. Not more than 10 or so, including the 3 MS coins, are problem-free. Most have corroded surfaces, theorized as being caused by rusty dies and/or Comstock Lode silver not alloyed properly. I have yet to hear a reasonable explanation how the 10 that have decent surfaces managed to do so.

Adios 74-CC, I'll miss ya... image

image

Comments

  • Options
    JJMJJM Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    guess you'll be going to the bank in the a.m. ! image
    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37,Waverly, justindan
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭


    << <i>guess you'll be going to the bank in the a.m. ! image >>


    No, the money was wired.

    RYK - this one made me think of your car thread...
  • Options
    Awesome coin!!!
    Did you receive an offer you couldn't refuse?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Shuckins. I'm selling my Bust and Seated Dime sets. Though I haven't listed them yet, word spread fairly quickly among dime guys and I've sold a number of coins in the last few week or so. It was a fair offer, though not one that came out of the blue for a coin I wasn't thinking of selling.
  • Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 7,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The holy grail of seated dimes. Lovely. Thanks for sharing, Barry. image

  • Options



    beautiful coin. i wonder who bought it. do you think they will step forward? or should we just guess who it is? was it laura??????image
  • Options
    oops!!!!! sorry. you said him so it must be russ. image
  • Options
    NicNic Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great coin Barry. Congrat.'s to the new owner. K
  • Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very neat coin and story.
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin. Obviously nicer than the one that seateddime offered on the BST...or was it eBay?image

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
    I guess it will come out sooner or later.

    Barry offered me a coin I just could not pass up.

    It is a package I can't wait to get.

    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Congrats seateddime - when a coin like that comes calling, you have to let in.
  • Options
    goregous coin
  • Options
    coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I guess it will come out sooner or later.

    Barry offered me a coin I just could not pass up.

    It is a package I can't wait to get. >>



    image WHOOPS! hope I didn't steal your thunder seateddime. Great catch!

    "Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.american-legacy-coins.com

  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats to Seateddime.

    It's all downhill from here image
  • Options
    Awesome coin!

    Sad to see it go but probably found a good home amoungst one of us.

    Congrats Seateddime.

    I am sure we will all be looking for the next coin(s) you will list Barry. Good luck!

  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Now that's a rare coin! Sweet!

    Congrats to seateddime. That's one that anybody would be proud to own.

    New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Now that's a rare coin! Sweet!

    Congrats to seateddime. That's one that anybody would be proud to own. >>



    Indeed!
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,669 ✭✭✭


    << <i>I guess it will come out sooner or later.

    Barry offered me a coin I just could not pass up.

    It is a package I can't wait to get. >>

    I suspected it was you.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
    One a new note this coin came from Barry over the weekend. As nice as I would have hoped it to be.

    Thanks again Barry.

    My set on NGC
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Rookie question. What price range is a 74 CC? Over $50k?
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Looking at your Registry set, you need to fill that 71-CC hole. I have an NGC VF-35...
  • Options
    mcheathmcheath Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭
    the 2006 blue book lists an au50 at 11k.image However that is about what a problem free vg8 would auction for.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,180 ✭✭✭
    I think of the cc's the 74 is still the strongest. I have seen a lot of weakness and coins not selling in the other dates. I think a lot of the people who had to have them now do.
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

    Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

    Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭
    Great story and collector coinimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file