ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Chuck I halfcrown.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    nicholasz219nicholasz219 Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭
    I don't think that people in Europe realize how sick they make us by living on top of 30 centuries of ruins and history and potential coin finds and don't do anything about it.

Hell I am happy to find a freaking Wheat penny in change or on the ground much less English hammered coinage.

Jeez
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

What you just said.

I remember reading somewhere about a pair of English detectorists commiserating with one another about the lackluster finds of the day. Apparently they were disappointed to not find any hammered silver. "Just two or three small Romans," moaned one to the other.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ColinCMRColinCMR Posts: 1,482 ✭✭✭
    those must have felt great to dig up and brush off!!!
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭
    If I could go out and dig hammered coins, or even junky late Romans I'd never get anything else done!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you could go out hammered and dig coins? image

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    AethelredAethelred Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If you could go out hammered and dig coins? image >>

That too!
    If you are in the Western North Carolina area, please consider visiting our coin shop:

WNC Coins, LLC
    1987-C Hendersonville Road
    Asheville, NC 28803

wnccoins.com
  • Options
    Hubba Hubba! image

Wish I lived in either US or UK, I can actually metal detect.....Kuwait is modern and all I can find is pulltab and 7up top.

TKC!
    Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wish I lived in either US or UK, I can actually metal detect.....Kuwait is modern and all I can find is pulltab and 7up top. >>

TKC, your island of Failaka was colonized by the Greeks under Alexander the Great! Geez, man... just dream of clay jars full of Alexander tetradrachms and Athenian Owls and stuff! Maybe that sort of stuff is hard to find and maybe such sites are not publicly accessible if they're out there, but the possibilities are rather interesting, if you're anywhere near the coast. Your coastline has probably been navigated by humans for most of the world's history, ever since boats were invented!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    As a matter of fact, I'm going to Failaka this Thursday for an International Award trip (Duke of Edinbrugh Awards)
    The thing is, most of the sites there have been excavated on and if I try metal detecting there....I'll probably be sent to prison, don't know about the law of detecting, I don't know of anyone who detects except for authorised excavation groups and I read an article in Kuwaits newspaper stating they found old colonial Indian coins used by traders, but unfortunately no Silver Drachms...

TKC!

Want List
    Proud member of the CUFYNA
    Need a Banner Made? PM ME!
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wasn't there a unique Royal ring found in some field a few years back, as well? I remember reading an article about it...
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I'd love to find a few myself.
  • Options
    TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,540 ✭✭✭✭✭