Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

How far do you sometimes go in your initial eBay imaging and description before inadvertently crossi

More than I'd like to think, I pause at certain times in the imaging/description process and wonder If I should try to hide a flaw revealed by an image I've taken.

Fortunately, I have yet to consciously deceive anyone or try to hide an obvious flaw in a coin- it's all about trying to keep good feedback while trying to remain honest and yet still be positive in description and image, which I think is one of the sellers jobs.

If a coin is softly struck, you gotta say so with a good description and especially sharp image, not a soft and fuzzy one that invites incorrect conclusions on the part of the buyer.

How far do you sometimes go in your initial eBay auction imaging and description before inadvertently crossing the line and then correcting?

One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato

Comments

• Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    Different angles show different things. Of course you want to photograph a coin at an angle that makes it somewhat appealing. Nothing wrong with that. It's when you make the leap to airbrushing portions of the coin or juicing the colors beyond what the coin actually looks like in hand, that something is wrong.

When I take my pictures, my goal is accuracy, not a selling pitch. I would rather underpromise and overdeliver, unlike some pictures I see. I would rather have the buyer be pleasantly surprised than disappointed.

As a general rule I do not describe the coins at all. I let the pictures speak for themselves and let the buyers draw their own conclusions. If I see a major flaw, even if it's not apparent in the images, I put it in the notes section of the auction.

In all the time I've been selling on Ebay, I've only had 1 coin returned. That was buyer's remorse on the part of a novice. No biggie.

Take your pictures as naturally and accurately as you can, showing the coin warts and all, and the buyers will be happy.
  • Options
    CladiatorCladiator Posts: 17,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I sell a coin on eBay I like the flaws to be very visible. That way I'm pretty well assured that the buyer won't be surprised by it and I won't be dealing with a return or possible neg situation.