Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

75 Pieforts (most with Essai) Listed on eBay--Link as Requested (Ending Tonight)

It was requested that I post a link to my eBay auctions when this lot was listed. So, here it is.

This week I've listed 75 Pieforts (just about all with Essai) on eBay. They are from an old collection and have been together a long time. Well, it's time they find new homes, so here's your chance to pick some (or all image) of them up!

75 Pieforts at Auction

Thanks for looking!

Jeremy
JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Comments

• Options
    JZraritiesJZrarities Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭
    That's a lot of Essai's.....!
  • Options
    DorkGirlDorkGirl Posts: 9,994 ✭✭✭
    So lovely...Do we get to know who's collection they are from? I always like to know the pedigree.imageimage
    Becky
  • Options
    StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow! How long did it take the consinger to put those together?

Cathy

• Options
    spoonspoon Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭
    Thanks! My watchlist is full image

Whatta collection! These are all the coins I was going after two years ago--in proof!! :imageroooool:: image
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So lovely...Do we get to know who's collection they are from? I always like to know the pedigree.imageimage >>

The dealer who consigned this lot asked that I don't get name-specific, but wanted me to post the following:

The coins are from the estate of a longtime collector. He started buying these coins in the early 70's.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    PBRatPBRat Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭
    Can you educate me? I know what a Piefort is - what does "with Essai" mean?
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pattern coins of France and of French-speaking countries are described by the French term essai.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    These end tonight, so get your bids in if you want any image
  • Options
    I do and I did, but I don't think I'm going to get any!

Cathy

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what does "with Essai" mean?

The coins have the word "essai" on them.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Yep, totally spanked. I imagine you are getting pretty happy with some of these numbers?

• Options
    They look like they did well. image
    Terry

eBay Store

DPOTD Jan 2005, Meet the Darksiders
  • Options
    mrearlygoldmrearlygold Posts: 17,858 ✭✭✭
    Dam! Got nipped on the last two.image
  • Options
    coinpicturescoinpictures Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭
    $12,912 for the 75-piece collection. Nice!
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $12,912 for the 75-piece collection. Nice!

I'll bet it would take a few years of serious effort to duplicate that collection for that amount of money.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    I won the only lot that was really important to me. After 28+ years of searching, I now have a complete 9 coin set (It was only 6 coins when I started) of the coinage of Saint Pierre and Miquelon. This isn't an especially popular nor expensive set but it has been a difficult set to complete:

1948 1Fr Aluminum business strike Mintage: 600,000
    1948 2Fr Aluminum business strike Mintage: 300,000
    1948 1Fr Copper-nickel - Essai Mintage: 2,000
    1948 2Fr Copper-nickel - Essai Mintage: 2,000
    1948 1Fr Aluminum Piefort with Essai Mintage: 104
    1948 2Fr Aluminum Piefort with Essai Mintage: 104
    2004 1/2 Euro Silver - Essai Mintage: 2,000
    2004 1 1/2 Euro Silver - Essai Mintage: 2,000
    2004 20 Euro Gold - Essai Mintage: 50

My quest began in 1978 while I was assigned to the Air Force Data Services Center in the Pentagon. I worked for a Major who, like me, collected coins. Occasionally we'd bring a few coins to work for a "Show & Tell" and during one of these sessions I happened to show him the 1Fr and 2Fr Saint Pierre & Miquelon business strike coins I had in my collection. His response was that I should try to assemble a complete set of the coins that Saint Pierre & Miquelon had minted, a set of six coins all dated 1948. His challenge became my quest, one that has at last been achieved with the addition of the the 1948 1Fr Piefort w/Essai that I just won.
  • Options
    That's some SERIOUS dedication, USAROK! I'm really glad you got the piece image
  • Options
    USAROKUSAROK Posts: 887 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jeremy! I was begining to think I'd never finish the set. This is the first 1Fr Piefort w/Essai and only the second 2Fr Piefort w/Essai that I've seen offered for sale (The first 2Fr is in my collection).