Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Advice needed about autographed Mantle ball

I have the oportunity to purchase an autographed Mickey Mantle baseball but I am not sure of its authenticity.

The ball is apparently one that was sold about 20 years ago on the The Shopping Network. According to the current owner Mantle was on the program signing the balls in person and then they were sold. I have not seen the signature myself. It has some letter of authenticity but who knows...

Does anybody know anything about these balls. Are the sigs real? Any idea of value?

Thanks. Eyebone
"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough

Comments

• << <i>I have the oportunity to purchase an autographed Mickey Mantle baseball but I am not sure of its authenticity.

The ball is apparently one that was sold about 20 years ago on the The Shopping Network. According to the current owner Mantle was on the program signing the balls in person and then they were sold. I have not seen the signature myself. It has some letter of authenticity but who knows...

Does anybody know anything about these balls. Are the sigs real? Any idea of value?

Thanks. Eyebone >>

Who is the LOA from? Also, IMO I'd only buy it if I had a good clear image of the baseball itself.
  • You know it's BS, so pass on it.
    Running an Ebay store sure takes a lot more time than a person would think!
  • storm888storm888 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭
    SMR says a nice one might retail for $600.00.

Real ones are often on EBAY for much less than that.

If you have a scan of the ball, post it here.

You can get a quick-opinion from PSA/DNA for cheap.

I recall seeing MM on tv signing balls, but I cannot recall
    when or on which channel(s).

I would not pay more than $200 to $300 for any MM ball that
    was not "event tied." Also, I would want PSA/DNA to cert
    any ball, before I bought it. If you pay big money for one,
    you will probably have to enjoy owning it for a long time
    before you can get your money out.
    Folks Who Bite Get Bitten. Folks Who Don't Bite Get Eaten.
  • Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,393 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eye

I have a lot of Mantles I've bought over the years - mostly from Scoreboard and B&J collectibles who were a big source for his autos. Are they real? I don't know since Marino and clan were almost as good as Mantle in signing.

A scan would be nice - here's one that I know is good - he signed these FOR the book maker and it's PSA/DNA authenticated - so it makes a good exemplar for you.

The problem, depending on signing situation, is that there are some variations in his signature.

This week's SCD has a really good article on Mick autos.

Good luck
    mike
    Mike
  • RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭
    Authenicated Mantle baseballs with a grade usually sell for $450-$600 on ebay (with premiums for the "Mickey Charles Mantle", "HOF 1974", "568 homeruns", etc versions). I think PSA/DNA charges $75 to authenticate Mantle autographs. They charge more for him because he signed so many and as a result there are a lot of fakes out there with good forgeries.

If you want a Mantle baseball I would definitely suggest paying a little more and buying a PSA/DNA ball or one otherwise authenticated by someone reputable.