Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

New Pictures - Full Step Jeffersons

It was over 2 years ago when I first posted my Jefferson pictures. I finally went out and purchased a new camera and macro lens. These pictures are far superior but the lighting is still not perfect.

The link below has the start of the new pictures from 1938 - 1945. Over the next week I will upload the remaining pictures to this set. Hope you like them.

Frank
(The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

My Jefferson Full Step Variety Set (1938 - Current)

My Jefferson Proof Variety Set (1938 - Current)

Comments

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will say you did real good . Nice set of coins and great job on the pictures. Wish I could do nearly as well. And thanks for going to the effort to post the images.
  • Options
    Real nice job

Glen
    I don't buy slabs I make them
  • Options
    They're great! Can't wait to see the rest, esp 1965-date.
  • Options
    cointimecointime Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good job! I think sharing pictures make the set come alive image

Ken
  • Options
    CocoinutCocoinut Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new pics are great! What kind of camera are you using?

Jim
    Countdown to completion of my Mercury Set: 2 coins. My growing Lincoln Set: Finally completed!
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. That is an incredible set of Nickels.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    Frank, thanks for sharing
  • Options
    All

Thanks for the comments. Pictures are now updated through 1962. It certainly is taking much longer than I anticipated to crop and edit the raw photos.

Jim

I purchased a Nikon D80 with a Sigma 150 Macro lens - using a copy stand with NIkon camera control software to view pictures real time on my PC. Special thanks to Mark Goodman for posting his how to for coin photography.

Frank
    (The Corso Collection) Always looking for high quality proof and full step Jeffersons - email me with details

• Options
    I REALLY want to see your 68-S.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank

I'd say you have alot of guts showing all those nicked up and weakly struck coins! image Of course, you know that I'm only kidding. image It's a shame your pictures don't show the stunning eye appeal most of your coins possess. I've tooked the liberty in doctoring up a couple of your coins in the following link. You might try those pointy frosted chandelier bulbs for your lighting. And learn how to photoshop away some of those distractions that are not that evident in person.

On another note; I'm surprised that you haven't upgraded those coin that have less than a full strike.
    Are you still stuck on the idea that the steps are the only thing that matters in collecting high quality coins? Compare the following coins and tell me which has the greatest qualities in strike, grade, eye appeal and steps. The other two coins are both PCGS MS66 without the FS attribute. The first has a nick in the upper left quadrant that prevents a FS desig but the entire coin is fully strucked and has superb eye appeal. The last coin's steps are fairly represented but also include a larger nick but again, the strike, grade and eye appeal far surpassed any coin that I've ever have seen until another collector showed me the first coin.
    imageimage
    imageimage
    imageimage

And don't tell me my coins look better because I'm a better photogragher!

Regards, Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Awesome set and thanks for taking the time to do the pics!

But I gotta wonder, with the change in the FS standard that occured a couple of years ago, what percentage of those coins would not grade FS if submitted raw today??
    "Wars are really ugly! They're dirty
    and they're cold.
    I don't want nobody to shoot me in the foxhole."
    Mary

Best Franklin Website
  • Options
    nice job, frank. i'd love to do that myself. i'm thinking of pasting in a close up of the steps below the obv and rev. of each coin. it shouldn't take more than the rest of this year to figure it all out.
  • Options
    Leo

Over the last few years I have been able to upgrade probably 6 – 10 coins per year. With the new pictures I’m hoping this number will increase. Since all of my coins are in a safe deposit box they are not readily viewable. So while I have a fairly detailed inventory list it has not been possible to distinguish between “in grade upgrades” vs. coins graded at a higher level.

Clearly there are some coins that can be upgraded. The new photos are an attempt to further upgrade this set. I still consider this set work in progress.

BTW - I’m sure your coins look better because you are a BETTER photographer!

Frank

• Options
    leo, how much would you start the bidding on e-bay for that first coin?
  • Options
    Frank.

Nice set. Beautiful pictures.
    I just love to look at these top sets when I have
    a slow evening.

Difficult to see why that 48-S isn't a 67FS,
    and that 54-S isn't a 64FS?

Keep on upgrading.

Regards, Steve K.
  • Options

<< <i>Leo

Over the last few years I have been able to upgrade probably 6 – 10 coins per year. With the new pictures I’m hoping this number will increase. Since all of my coins are in a safe deposit box they are not readily viewable. So while I have a fairly detailed inventory list it has not been possible to distinguish between “in grade upgrades” vs. coins graded at a higher level.

Clearly there are some coins that can be upgraded. The new photos are an attempt to further upgrade this set. I still consider this set work in progress.

BTW - I’m sure your coins look better because you are a BETTER photographer!

Frank >>

image I guess I'll take that as a compliment!

Leo

• Options

<< <i>leo, how much would you start the bidding on e-bay for that first coin? >>

Hi Larry

Probably a couple of bucks, Corso didn't seem too impressed with it. Imagine an entire set of high quality, fully struck to early die state examples where the emphasis/quality of each coin was based on it's strike, condition and eye appeal. And of course, there would be some focus on the steps but I wouldn't sacrifice the overall quality of the coin just to have any coin with 5 steps. For instance, my 1952-S has a decent strike but has only a 5335 QSC. Corso and Jazzy Jeffs have respectable coins for that date.

Leo

• Options

<< <i>Special thanks to Mark Goodman for posting his how to for coin photography >>

Frank, do you happen to have the link to Mark Goodman's posting?
    The impossible just takes longer.
  • Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frank, An unbelievable set that puts the bar very high for the rest of the Jeff enthusiasts. Jefferson Gems
    just un-obscured his set and rumor has it that he is going to sell in Baltimore. I think there may be some
    upgrades for you in that set. A number of extremely low pop coins. Thanks for the pictures as I know it
    was a lot of work on your part to share them with us. Shagnasty
  • Options

<< <i>Frank, An unbelievable set that puts the bar very high for the rest of the Jeff enthusiasts. Jefferson Gems
    just un-obscured his set and rumor has it that he is going to sell in Baltimore. I think there may be some
    upgrades for you in that set. A number of extremely low pop coins. Thanks for the pictures as I know it
    was a lot of work on your part to share them with us. Shagnasty >>

Mel

Have you seen this collection? I would really question the integrity of anyone's collection when they manage to somehow add 7 upgrades in one shot. Who is Jefferson gems? How did he get his coins? There are a number of unknowns out there who have done nothing but outbid their way to a high GPA without regards to the quality of the coins. IMO, this is not coin collecting. It's not a mystery that the coins that PCGS graded early on wouldn't grade the same today to their tighter grading standards.
    But on the other hand, this collector could have made most of his coins from being a collector of Jefferson nickels for many years. This is what I'd like to believe. How else does one locate high quality material unless this is nothing more than a checkbook assembly. The other telltale story is, why don't I know who this guy is? Of course, there are collectors out there that I have never crossed paths with but you would think otherwise if they've been collecting for a number of years. I know about another 100 Jeff collectors who don't even grazed these boards, if it were one of them, I'd think that I would know. I've known Frank, Ray, Al, about a dozon Steve's including yourself Mel for years as collectors of Jeffersons but here's a guy I don't know. Does anyone know who this guy is? Please tell me this guy does indeed have unquestionable high quality coins that can be vouched on by others. Maybe I'm missing something here, please clue me in.

Leo

• Options
    bolivarshagnastybolivarshagnasty Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Leo, I no nothing of this individual, other than what I have already stated. He has not added to his set
    for a couple of years, until recently. ( probably preparing for the sale of his set) Who's to say he's not a
    longtime collector that has had a great raw inventory? It appears from looking at his set though, that he
    was not settling for easier to find Jeffs. A lot of low pop coins including at least 1 pop 1. On another note,
    I searched all of the Jefferson catagories looking for your set. I must have overlooked it. Surely, if you have
    been willing to berate other collections for the last few years, you must have an outstanding Jefferson
    collection of your own you'd be willing to share with us. Please let all of the Jeff enthusiasts know what
    category your set is in so that we may view it. image Mel
  • Options
    Surely, if you have been willing to berate other collections for the last few years, you must have an outstanding Jefferson collection of your own you'd be willing to share with us.

Perhaps I should join the rest of the patsies on these board and just ooh and aah whenever we see numbers we like. image
    As for a registry set, I pulled it months ago. But the "Jefferson nickel" link in this post will show you exactly what's in my collection in over 250 pics.
    As a Jefferson nickel berator (hey, I like that), after seeing Nevadaman's collection and watching the results of SAJ's colllection, flying to Florida to see Frank's collection and buying the #1 non FS collection of 2004 and I've seen about a dozen other collections over the last 16 years, I guess you can call me the "king of berators" if you prefer. Anyway, have you checked your PM's lately, I have money burning in my pocket for you.

Leo