Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Thank you OnlyRoosies!

BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
Public shout out of appreciation to Nick!

In another thread, I asked which coins would be the toughest for a silver Roosie set.
Seems my son has gotten a tad of a liking to them since getting some toned ones last year.

So, as he is getting a bit older and more involved with our collecting, I decided to start looking at a Roosevelt set with him. Toned is preferable, but you never know what you like until you see it, so why exclude things, right?

Anyway, we have been poking around on ebay this week, looking at toned roosies, and seeing some familiar names. Nothing was bid on yet. Get home from a hard week (he was sick last week and with the snow/weather we have had up here, it was a strain on many people to keep "happy"), and get the mail. He spies a bubble envelope and says "That's mine!".
I say, "yeah, right. There's nothing for you"....ooops, it was his! It was from his "buddy, Nick" (he can recognize Nick's name by the spelling now and that is his "coin buddy".

Nick sent a jumpstart of 2 PCGS roosies and "they change colors when you move them!!!" (they are toned and, unlike the ones he has in the albums, he can hold these and move them around in the light). He was smiles from ear to ear!!!

Nick, sincere thanks for what you did and the smiles that I was able to see all night (including when Mommy got home and he grabbed the coins, ran downstairs, and put them in her face before she was all the way through the garage door....and, she HAD to hold them in the light and move them image ). She thinks he is getting as crazy as I am now, but it is all good.

We owe you!

Ron

Edited to add: Only #72 right now image, so no one has to worry image
We will be doing it, as suggested, slow and easy, getting nice coins that he likes, and if we can, making some of them ourselves. I still have trouble in grading roosies, but I am trying to learn so I can teach him

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Comments

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read my sig line it says it all!

Nick will always be #1 in my book.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    dcgolferdcgolfer Posts: 253 ✭✭
    What a great guy! Way to go, Nick!image
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm sick and tired of hearing how nice Onlyroosies is!!!!!!! He hasn't bought me a decent dinner since FUN...(King Crab!!)image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options

<< <i>I'm sick and tired of hearing how nice Onlyroosies is!!!!!!! He hasn't bought me a decent dinner since FUN...(King Crab!!)image >>

That bum has NEVER bought me a dinner! image

He just gives me coins!image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Ok, I was out for most of the day and then the wife was having her girlfriends over for a "tea party" so things were crazy, but I wanted to try to get some photos of these badboys.

Since they are toned, and I don't have the setup that some do, please bear with me. I used my dual ott lights, my Nikon on a tripod, a black background, macro mode, and to keep some of the glare away, I used a piece of paper inbetween the light and the coin. It made it a little dark, but it really allowed me to show the color as I could have the coin tilted to catch the light.

I did have to use "brighten" on these a little bit.

Nothing fancy...no merging or anything, I will work on that.
    For the 1959, the reverse is silvery white, no color tint (that is the blocking of the light making it darker image )

imageimage

For the 1956d, the center has just the lightest of toning to the naked eye. The camera really picked it up more due to the shading from the paper under the light image
    imageimage

I've got a lot of imaging practice/work to do, but I did want to start putting images in the registry and these kick off my son's Roosie registry set, so I wanted to get working on these first.

Edited to say: MS66FB

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    Those are very nice Roosies.

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    Thanks, Paul.
    I agree. And, my son loves to grab them and move them around in the light to see all the "pretty colors" image
    They are his so I let him and I sit back and enjoy watching him and his reactions to them. Makes me feel very good watching him enjoy something like that!

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165
    Well I'll be! I just learned something that I should've known years ago.

Thanx Boch & Yep, Nick is one cool dude. image
  • Options
    What'd ya' learn, Boom?

• Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Onlyroosies, the man is a true GEM. Here's the last coin he sent me:

Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Craig,
    is that coin in a holder???image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Yep, a white one with a star.....
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    MarkMark Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's always nice to open threads concerning dimes because they are inevitably uplifting...no complaing about modern clads versus classic bust dimes! Now, to the topic at hand, I think it's been said before and will be said again, but "What a truly kind gesture by Nick!"
    Mark

• Options
    BoomBoom Posts: 10,165

<< <i>What'd ya' learn, Boom? >>

Darn! Hollywood = Silver Screen image

You, Bochi, just reminded me of something I totally knew about but forgot I knew!image

Started with indirect sunlight but had to manipulate the coin's angle in relation to the camera's eye much as we do when we examine coins under a light to grade. Same principle.. Works OK if you get the right angle but basically a lot of headache and a small window of opportunity to work with.

I've tried Reveal 100 Watt Bulbs, alone, in tandem, threesomes and even 4 staggered, 2 to a side- too bright, so I tried to even used them to surround the coin instead of direct lighting. Both/ all worked "OK" but not good enough, particularly with truly nice NT coins with vibrant yet subtle nuances of color.

Tried the same with lower watage clear bulbs. Worked fairly well but not good enough on beautul, colorful coins.

Tried the Glass setup with horizontal lighting - lamp pointed back towards the camera, of course. Too much trouble - still not quite right! Went to OTT and learned about different camera settings and adjusting White Balance, EV Balance etc BUT NEVER thought about screening or filtering the light source, Silver Screen = Hollywood. Good trigger. Thanx Bochi image

I've always marveled at the intensity of some photograpers' colors without light shining directly onto the coins. I can't wait to try it. Some beautiful pix seem dimmly lit yet the colors are VERY accurate and certainly NOT dim or dark. Filtered light, huh! image

Photoshop, I do not use nor care for personally because it's too much, too phony. No editing or saturating for me. No thank you. image