Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

is this attractive toning?

i'll admit, i'm new to the whole toning "game". Would this be considered attractive and acceptable toning?

Comments

• Options
    laurentyvanlaurentyvan Posts: 4,243 ✭✭✭
    And how!
    One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics
    is that you end up being governed by inferiors. – Plato
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭
    I don't want to sound flippant, but it is attractive if you like it. If you're asking if *the market* thinks it's attractive toning, yeah, probably so.

But just because the market doesn't think it's "attractive" doesn't mean you have to dislike it, and just because the market likes it doesn't mean you have to.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508

<< <i>I don't want to sound flippant, but it is attractive if you like it. If you're asking if *the market* thinks it's attractive toning, yeah, probably so.

But just because the market doesn't think it's "attractive" doesn't mean you have to dislike it, and just because the market likes it doesn't mean you have to. >>

good points! I was just wondering whether this is a common toning pattern, and whether it is "market" acceptable. Let's face it, the coin may be resold some day to buy another one (LOL!)

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It's a nice coin, if it weren't for all that unsightly tarnish. image

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    koincollectkoincollect Posts: 446 ✭✭✭
    I like it a lot!
  • Options
    BSBS Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I like it.image
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    You bet it is. Very nice photo as well.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    Rickc300Rickc300 Posts: 876 ✭✭
    Well, here goes my personal rating down the tubes... I do not like the looks of the coin. I want either blast white or an even rainbow toning. The spots turn me off (a lot) I would rather have a modern coin like that in pure blast furnace white or soft rainbow toning from the edges. If it were mine I would dip it. But, knowing each has their own likes and dislikes and if you are happy with it keep it as it is. I myself would not buy it for a premium and would not pay more than melt for it. The spotting to me reminds me of the egg and dipped silver coins of yesteryear. But that is just my two cents worth of opinion...
    Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Freedom is a well armed lamb contesting that vote. Benjamin Franklin - 1779

1836 Capped Liberty
    dime. My oldest US
    detecting find so far.
    I dig almost every
    signal I get for the most
    part. Go figure...
  • Options
    MesquiteMesquite Posts: 4,075 ✭✭✭
    Rickc,

I agree that the splotching is not attractive. However, the toning is gorgeous. If I ran across that coin I'd buy it in a NY minute. It would end up in an Airtite and be put on display. More often than not we run across material that has a mixed bag of attributes about which we can do nothing. For me that toning is great and it gives the coin character. I can do nothing about the splotches. Net: I like it very much. Perhaps I'd locate a splotchless example down the road that I liked better.
    There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.
    –John Adams, 1826
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's up to you to decide if it's attractive or not, as Ziggy mentioned.

For me personally, it is not 100% attractive because of the interruptions (the untoned blotchy areas). However, the colors are nice.

Many (perhaps most) fans of toning don't care about the distribution of the toning- they're all about the colors. So that coin would be attractive to most, I think. As I said a moment ago, I think it has nice colors even if the toning leaves a little to be desired.

But I wouldn't dip it- nosiree. A coin would have to have ugly toning for me to want to dip it. And that one isn't ugly to me- just "slightly nice".

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    DoogyDoogy Posts: 4,508
    oh what the heck, i went ahead and gave in and bought it. It arrived yesterday, and looks cool "in hand"! The strike is razor sharp, the reverse almost looks to be high relief. I guess i can say i have one toner in my collection now image
  • Options

<< <i>It arrived yesterday, and looks cool "in hand"! The strike is razor sharp, the reverse almost looks to be high relief. >>

What a shame that it's tarnished so heavily. image
    Roy