Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

A coin from my first Roosevelt submission. Need objective opinions. 2nd Submission results also.

What do you think of this coin. Is the tone too thick and sort of out of the realm of market acceptable in reguard to eye appeal. During my short span of collecting roosevelts I have noticed that coins with tone like this one do not get very high grades at all. Please give your opinions or experiences.

Personally I like the coin. The luster is great and the coin is as mark free as some 67's that I have.

imageimage

With light on coin differently...

imageimage

and one more of the reverse and tilted obverse....

imageimage

My second submission results came through today. All went FB. What a deal. The 46D, 47P, 48S, 49D and 51P all are 66FB. A 46S went 67FB.

Thanks much.

Ken

Comments

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    How is the lustre? For a coin like that to grade high, the lustre must be strong through the toning, perhaps stronger than a white example. My gut tells me that went into an MS65 slab.
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The luster is close to the booming level and shows through the deep tone very nicely and is why the coin was sent in.

Ken
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    If the pictures are accurate, the toning has negative eye appeal for me

the reverse looks luster dead to me, and I have a couple like that that couldn't get higher than 65 FB at Pcgs

even though I have seen similar in 67 FB in NGC

possibly a case where a quick dip adds a point or 2
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    Roosies giving you a bit more trouble than Mercs? image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ken

What did this coin grade???

Just curious.

Jon
  • Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Ken

What did this coin grade???

Just curious.

Jon >>

Jon lets just say it is not "Registry Worthy" but certainly "Collection Worthy" for me.....image

Tony the tone patterns throw me for a loop when trying to figure out what is considered market acceptable or eye appeal acceptable when sending the roosevelts in for grading. This one really surprised me with the grade it received.

Ken
  • Options
    PCGS has been brutal on Roosies as of late.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I haven't tried too hard on Roosies. I have had a few grade high, a few grade low, a few grade no band, and a few grade FB. My guess is they didn't like the toning pattern. I think the color looks acceptable.

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay