Home Metal Detecting

I'm thinking about starting detecting...

and you all can help me!
Yes, I could search threads forever... but its more fun to interact a bit.

So, here is the deal. I am an avid collector who would love a little treasure hunting. Especially fun with my son who is 8 and would LOVE the whole thing.

The questions:
1. What is a good detector at a good price? I don't want to spend a ton, this is not something I'd use a lot. I'd love to spend less than $200 if possible... I want one that gives some info on what it detects (is it a coin or a can), can get wet, etc. Ideas?

2. What are the 'rules' about public places? Can you detect in parks? State forests...? Anywhere (besides private property, obviously) where you just CANT detect?

Anyone want to help?
I'll be offline for a few hours so be patient... I'll be back on in about 4 hours to see what you all have to say and respond!

Comments

• << <i>and you all can help me!
    Yes, I could search threads forever... but its more fun to interact a bit.

So, here is the deal. I am an avid collector who would love a little treasure hunting. Especially fun with my son who is 8 and would LOVE the whole thing.

The questions:
    1. What is a good detector at a good price? I don't want to spend a ton, this is not something I'd use a lot. I'd love to spend less than $200 if possible... I want one that gives some info on what it detects (is it a coin or a can), can get wet, etc. Ideas?

2. What are the 'rules' about public places? Can you detect in parks? State forests...? Anywhere (besides private property, obviously) where you just CANT detect?

Anyone want to help?
    I'll be offline for a few hours so be patient... I'll be back on in about 4 hours to see what you all have to say and respond! >>

Welcome to the forum and to the hobby.

I'm not the best person to ask about detectors and I know there are folks here that can answer that for you.

As for your other question;

Most public places such as parks, medians, playgrounds etc are ok to detect but there are exceptions. Remember to keep your own (and the public) safety in mind, properly dispose of any trash you find/dig and clean up after your digs. A sure way to have a public place put off limits to detecting is to leave it in worse condition than when you arrived ie; un-filled holes, diggin up trash then tossing it back on the ground etc...

The typical no-no's are State Parks, National Parks, National Monuments, State or National Battlefields, Military Bases (some exceptions).

Private property is not strictly off-limits and many people will give you permission to hunt on their land if you simply are polite and ask. Keep in mind that if a private property owner knows their land may have significant potential for treasures, they may want to be in control of your finds.

A good source for information as to places ok to hunt and places off-limits is a local treasure hunting club.

Have fun!!

Danny

• If you looking to spend in the $200 range... bump up a little... I got my Garrett Ace 250 for $212. Its the best thing for your buck without spending over $500.
  • Check for a local dealer. Look at what is going to fit your needs.
    I just got a White's Prizm 2 ($200 New) for the grand kids to use. The 9 year old has a hard time with it.
    The 11 year old does fine.

Good Luck

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Thanks for the replies! Do any of these machines give information on depth, metal content, size of item, or any of that, or is that for the 'upper end' machines?
  • Mine had depth, tells you "what it is" based on its reading, you can choose to ignore anything within the reading (therefor if your in a high trashy area, you can ignore certain things... a typical one for me is ignoring the nickel because it is USUALLY a pull tab... however that also eliminates gold). Its great... I simply put batteries in it, turned it on, and was off. Its idiot proof... (not implying anything here)

• << <i> Its idiot proof... (not implying anything here) >>

Then I may figure it out...image
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can add a second vote for the Garrett Ace 250. I think it would be hard to beat at the price.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • I see the Garret Ace 250 for $212 an Amazon... I can definately go a bit above $200 if it gets me a better machine!
    Thanks for the input.
  • Now, if you would all be so kind as to list for me EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU HAVE ALREADY WORKED I'd appreciate it.
    Make it much easier to not waste time on tapped out locations image

• << <i>Now, if you would all be so kind as to list for me EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU HAVE ALREADY WORKED I'd appreciate it.
    Make it much easier to not waste time on tapped out locations image >>

no such thing as a tapped out location image
  • bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with all above, for the beginner, the garrett ace is probably your best bet.

• << <i>

<< <i>Now, if you would all be so kind as to list for me EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU HAVE ALREADY WORKED I'd appreciate it.

no such thing as a tapped out location image >>

Very very true. Ask lordmarcovan about the Median strip the "newbies" he takes detecting tear up time and time again.

• << <i>Now, if you would all be so kind as to list for me EVERY SINGLE PLACE YOU HAVE ALREADY WORKED I'd appreciate it.

well.....how much time do you have????
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.