Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

Type set by century question

I love the new 18th & 19th century type sets! But a vexing problem has arisen. When a coin type overlaps two centuries, the set only accepts a date from that particular century, not any coin of the design. For example, the draped bust large eagle dollar would require a 1798-99 coin AND an 1800-1803 coin to complete the two type sets.

I can see this from both sides: side one is that the coin must be from the century - side two is that the design is from that century but any example of the design can fill the slot. Any thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    It's the same for the 20th Century Type Set. For example, you can't use Liberty nickels or Barber dimes/quarters from the 1800s.

You're forced to collect by date and not design.

Edited to add...

It also looks like you're not penalized for adding BN coins... yet.
    Dan
  • Options
    Well you are in set type that is for coins within a specific century, so I have no problem with the restrictions.

Dan
    The glass is half full!
  • Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What about Fractional gold? Both 19th century and 21st century?image
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    I agree that an 18th Century Type Set is a very cool idea and have no problem requiring the coins in the set to actually be from that century.

Who is John Galt?
  • Options
    Dennis88Dennis88 Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Well you are in set type that is for coins within a specific century, so I have no problem with the restrictions.

Dan >>