Home Sports Talk
Options

Will Marty be fired before the AFC title game?

The NFL frowns on negative news or anything football wise that will detract from the super bowl in the period between the conference
championship games and the super bowl (sort of an unwritten rule I guess) which leads me to believe that if the Chargers plan on firing
Martyit will be sometime this week. Just a guess anyway.

Comments

• Options
    Apparently not. Looks like he is returning for '07. Refused an '08 extension...
    Next MONTH? So he's saying that if he wins, the best-case scenario is that he'll be paying for it two weeks after the auction ends?

Forget blocking him; find out where he lives and go punch him in the nuts. --WalterSobchak 9/12/12

Looking for Al Hrabosky and any OPC Dave Campbells (the ESPN guy)
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Chargers aren't the first good team to get bounced because they had to learn to win in the playoffs (or to get over a hump).

Can't really equate losses by Byner's fumble or Elway's drive to this team, but it is possible that this applies to Marty as well as his team.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,587 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think Marty should have been fired after the game, why on earth he ran LT more in the first half than the second is beyond me. Lt should have had 30 + carries and at least 5-7 catches.
  • Options

<< <i>I think Marty should have been fired after the game, why on earth he ran LT more in the first half than the second is beyond me. Lt should have had 30 + carries and at least 5-7 catches. >>

Martyball=Losewhenitcounts

Is it really any suprise they lost? Not to me, I won a cool c-note on the game with a buddy of mine. Fact is, it's double or nothing on the Indy/NE game. He's going with Indy, I couldn't put money on Manning. Just like I couldn't put money on Marty. He should've been fired, and I would've like to have seen Dennis Green get that job.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

Bullcr*p about Marty not winning the big games!

How about Peyton Manning? Would you trade him because he never wins the 'big game'? Who would you get instead?
    How about Elway before his last two years? How about Dan Marino or Jim Kelly? Sh*tcan them because they were losers? Who was better?

How about Bill Cowher? A perennial choker until he 'won' last year's Super Bowl? Fire him if he hadn't gotten so freakin' lucky on that one day?

Some of you need to watch one he11 of a lot more NFL football over a long period of time.
    Not just when your team playing, but all the games. Then come back here and shoot your keyboards off condemning one of the best coaches in NFL history ... image

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Wolf,

I was with you until you mentioned the "one of the best coaches part." I think Marty is a good coach maybe great but not sure about one of the best part.

T
  • Options

<< <i>Bullcr*p about Marty not winning the big games!

How about Peyton Manning? Would you trade him because he never wins the 'big game'? Who would you get instead?
    How about Elway before his last two years? How about Dan Marino or Jim Kelly? Sh*tcan them because they were losers? Who was better?

How about Bill Cowher? A perennial choker until he 'won' last year's Super Bowl? Fire him if he hadn't gotten so freakin' lucky on that one day?

Some of you need to watch one he11 of a lot more NFL football over a long period of time.
    Not just when your team playing, but all the games. Then come back here and shoot your keyboards off condemning one of the best coaches in NFL history ... image >>

You can't compare Marty to Cowher. Even with subpar teams(uhh Kordell Stewart as the QB for example; Neil O'Donnell, Mike Tomzak?); Cowher was 8-9 before the 2006 postseason; now he's 12-9 in the postseason. MARTY IS 5-13!!!!!

Come on Wolf, I watch a helluvalot of football. I wouldn't trade Manning, I'd just have a different approach in the postseason. He's this generations Marino. Tons of stats. And that's it. But you know what, you can't take the Coach out of the game, unless ya fire him. Marty is a good coach, but he can't push his teams to victory when it matters most. 5-13. One of the best coaches? Wolf, come on now. I guess your right in comparing him to Manning, great until the playoffs.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards

Looking for Topps rookies as well.

References:
    GregM13
    VintageJeff
  • Options

Here's a well written Marty in the playoffs article.

Dude has 200 wins in the NFL. How many teams have a better coach?

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    Wolf, Marty is a decent coach for sure, but he did a horrible job in the most important game of the year for the Chargers. He blew the game IMO. Throwing a challenge on an obvious play? Going for it 4th and 11 instead of using a great kicker for a 48 yarder? Not uising the best player in the NFL to sit on a lead to grind out yards and chew up the clock? I meen all year long he pounds LT late in games to chew up clock and add late meaningless TDS with him and in this game he uses him less in the second half? Marty blew the game and should have been fired, The playoffs might not be there next year for San Diego, who knows.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Every coach has different strengths and weaknesses. From appearances at least it seems that Marty's greatest weakness is his in game management, especially in post-season games. If you watch a Belichek coached team they seemed to be prepared for every possible situation. When I saw the Chargers waste so much time between the snaps on the last drive, particularly before and after the 3 yard catch by Gates I was shocked. That would never happen to a Belichek coached team.

Obviously, Marty has many strengths. He does have over 200 career coaching victories and has been successful in the regular season wherever he has been. Unfortunately a 5-13 post season record tarnishes everything. It is made worse by the fact he is 4-6 at home in the play-offs, when they have had the superior team, and in his last four play-off appearances his regular season record was 52-12 and his team lost in their first play-off game all four times. From a .813 winning percentage to .000.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    Marty is a good coach, unfortunately his game calling abilities are so conservative at times that when it matters most and there is little room for error, he blows it. I can recall several times when he was in KC he would just run the ball on 3rd and 10 to gain as many yards as possible before punting. He was good for it about 4-5 times per season.

When you get to the playoffs, and the quality of opponent is increased, that kind of mentality can kill you. Playing not to lose. The loss to NE seemed just the opposite, almost that he was triyng not to do what everyone expected to the point he was making stupid decisions. Going for it on 4th & 11 in field goal range would have sent half of KC into shock 10 years ago.

I'd say you can call him the Dan Marino of coaches. He has been great in the regular season but just can't seal the deal, and it's unfortunate because he'll always be (for now at least) a "yeah but" guy.
    Travis
  • Options

Okay, here's a pic for all you 'blame Marty' guys ...

Pix of 'My Kids'

• Options
    image ok that may be a lttle harsh!