Home Stamps Forum
Options

Post Office Cabinet

Hi y'all,

I don't know if anyone here knows a lot about older post offices as well as stamps, but I thought I'd post this and see if I got any more info.

This is an old cabinet from a post office in NC. My great-grandmother ran the local Post Office and she took this cabinet when they were shutting it down to move to a new building. I believe this would have been in the 50s or 60s, but I'm not sure. I'm fairly certain the box is much older than her retirement date. My father inherited it from her, and I got it from him. He hasn't told me much about it, so I was wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me exactly what it was and anything else they know.

The cabinet is really cool. It's solid wood construction with three drawers and a locking hinged panel on the front. The key is really worn down with use, and I'd like to get a duplicate made but nobody I take it to has a suitable blank. The top drawer is separated into 9 compartments: 6 square-ish ones in the front for coin and 3 longer ones for bills. The middle drawer is a simple large space - until you pull it all the way out, revealing a secret compartment for hiding valuables. The base has a small partition which is missing the original thin dividers, as well as a separate solid wooden tray meant to hold more change. All of the fixtures are original. The finish is also original, although I am sad to say that as a child, I put some marks on it. All in all, it's a beautiful piece, if I may say so myself - and a wonderful heirloom that will never leave my family if I have anything to say about it.

Can anyone tell me anything else about it?

Hope you enjoy!

Front of cabinet; inset of key, back of lock panel, and with drawers open:

Top drawer:

Middle drawer; inset of secret compartment:

Bottom Drawer:

...larger photos on demand image

Comments

• Options
    dougwtxdougwtx Posts: 566 ✭✭
    That is pretty neat. Are there any trademarks/manufacturere's stamp on it? Sorry, I can't provide any info on cabinets, but thanks for showing it. I would probably show it(pics) around some antique shops or if one of those Antique Roadshow guys have an office in your area, have them look at it.
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    I'm at work right now, but I'll look around for manufacturer's marks when I get home. I got an email from my father today saying he'd first seen it in place at the PO in Summerfield, NC back in 1960, when he was 9 years old. His grandmother gave one to him and one to his brother when the PO was abandoned and another one built. He said it was used to store money and stamps at the PO.

Glad you enjoyed the pics. image
  • Options
    What a neat thing to see! Thanks, but can't help on any info.

Jerry
  • Options
    pendragon1998pendragon1998 Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭
    Okay! I've just finished taking out all the drawers and flipping (gently) this bad boy upside down. On the outer surface of the bottom of the cabinet, I found the following information:

Stamped in ink:
    ------------------------
    INSPECTED

JUN - 8(?) - 1950

R.(?) P. WOODY

POST OFFICE DEPT.
    ------------------------

Burned on:
    ------------------------
    National Cabinet (logo)

L. I. City
    N. Y.
    ------------------------

Stenciled on:
    ----------------------------------------
    PROPERTY OF THE POST OFFICE DEPT

309 STAMP CABINET 1950

NATIONAL CABINET CO. L. I. C. N. Y.
    ----------------------------------------

Here's the logo:

I can't find anything about National Cabinet Co. on google. Anyone have any leads?