Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

BULK COIN SUBMISSION PROGRAM

I recently recieved a copy of the guidelines for bulk submission and thought it may be helpful to pass them on to this board.

PCGS GUIDELINES

BULK COIN SUBMISSION PROGRAM

Effective October 16, 2006

The PCGS Bulk Coin Submission Program provides a low-cost way to have larger quantities of inexpensive coins graded and encapsulated. This program is especially popular with submitters of BU roll deals, government-issued Mint and Proof sets, 50 States Quarter Dollars, and roll and bag deals of Morgan and Peace Silver Dollars (to name a few). PCGS also offers special pricing for bulk submissions of world coins and circulated coins – call for details.

1. Only PCGS Collectors Club members or Authorized Dealers may submit coins to PCGS. To become a Collectors Club member, please visit our website at www.pcgs.com or call our Customer Service number at (800) 447-8848.

2. All coins must be submitted on properly completed PCGS submission forms.

3. Minimum of 100 coins per submission form; maximum of 200 coins per submission form. Mixed dates are acceptable. All coins must be of the same denomination and type.

4. Maximum value of $300 per coin. Coins valued above $300 will be submitted under the regular grading services for individual coins (minimum $25 per coin).

5. Only one minimum grade per invoice. No minimum MS- or PR-70 orders will be accepted. If you will accept any grade, please note that on the submission form.

6. Coins that are encapsulated will be billed based on then-current Bulk Pricing sheets.

7. If less than 60% of the order meets the minimum grade, a $2 reject fee will be applied to each coin that is not encapsulated. If at least 60% of the order meets the minimum grade, there will be no reject fees.

8. All coins must be submitted in tubes or original mint packaging. Loose coins or coins in individual flips will not be accepted.

9. After the order is completed, our representatives will contact you with the total fees for the order. No orders will be shipped until payment is received or credit terms are in place. Credit cards may be used to pay for submission fees up to $2,500 per person per month. Submitters will be responsible for all return shipping charges.

10. If you have any questions about submitting bulk coins, please contact us at (949) 567-1216.

Comments

• Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    To get an idea of the savings, what kind of price are we looking at for sending in 100 statehood quarters? Do you know?
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    TTT
  • Options
    What was nice about it was that my submission came in at 65%, so I did not have to pay anything for the 40 coins that did not grade. The catch they don't tell what is wrong with them either.
  • Options
    Is there any break in submission cost? Or is $14 per coin the minimum?
  • Options

<< <i>Is there any break in submission cost? Or is $14 per coin the minimum? >>

It is $8 per coin up to a certain grade (depending on the coin type). Then it goes up.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    From what I understand when I inquired about some IKE's (and it may be different for other denominations) the grading cost was dependent upon what grade each coin ended up being. The higher the grade, the more the cost. So it was not a specific flat rate.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    Thanks for info. I'm going to call, I'll let you know what I find out.
  • Options
    Whoa! Now THAT's what I'm talkin bout! Makes more sense to hold off for one big submission. NGC only allows dealers to do this.
  • Options
    Prices for bulk submissions vary depending on the coin type. Collectors Club pricing is higher than Dealer pricing, as is the case with regular submissions.

If you have a potential bulk submission, please contact us as follows:

Collectors Club - call Stephanie Robinson at (949) 567-1216

Dealers - call Miles Standish at (949) 833-0600 ext. 309
    Ron Guth
    President
    PCGS CoinFacts - the Internet Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins
    www.CoinFacts.com
  • Options
    Thanks CoinKing.

Learned exactly what I needed to know.

State Flags $10 per 69, $15 per 70, no charge for those that don't meet minimum grade. Put "flags" on form.
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    how does bulk submission work on circulate type coins all of the same type for example 200 seated dimes?
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    I was going to send 36 1967 SMS for bulk grading. Most of the sets (33) have never been opened. What should I pick as my minimum grade? ms64 or maybe ms65?
  • Options
    TTTimage
  • Options

8. All coins must be submitted in tubes or original mint packaging. Loose coins or coins in individual flips will not be accepted.

Do you mean plastic tubes or paper wrappers like I can get from my local bank?

Also, I was reading some posts referring that the 'bulk' slabs were different from the regular production slabs. Is that still true?

Thank you, Bob
    Newbie to the hobby! Please feel free to prevent me from getting 'turf toe'.
  • Options
    I am replying to myself here. I received a phone call from the 'bulk' department. Tubes actually refers to plastic tubes. Modern nickels are $10 for 66 full steps and below and a ms70 nickel (ha, like I have the luck!) is $60 per coin.

Please ignore previous forum entries regarding the slabs or holders, they are exactly the same as the regular production holders. The only diff is state quarters and flags are mounted backwards so the 'money' side (all puns intended) is facing front.

Newbie to the hobby! Please feel free to prevent me from getting 'turf toe'.
  • Options
    compromonedascompromonedas Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I am replying to myself here. I received a phone call from the 'bulk' department. Tubes actually refers to plastic tubes. Modern nickels are $10 for 66 full steps and below and a ms70 nickel (ha, like I have the luck!) is $60 per coin.

Please ignore previous forum entries regarding the slabs or holders, they are exactly the same as the regular production holders. The only diff is state quarters and flags are mounted backwards so the 'money' side (all puns intended) is facing front. >>

$60 per coin!!! That's cheapimage
  • Options
    What is the chance of a coin remaining a MS70 if you put it in a tube with a bunch of other coins?
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    Thanks for posting this TG
  • Options
    seateddimeseateddime Posts: 6,169 ✭✭✭
    I had called and emailed on this a few times to submit type coins. I never did get any response.

If anyone know how this is done - do tell
    I seldom check PM's but do check emails often jason@seated.org

Buying top quality Seated Dimes in Gem BU and Proof.

Buying great coins - monster eye appeal only.
  • Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reviveing this post, very useful info.
  • Options

<< <i>What is the chance of a coin remaining a MS70 if you put it in a tube with a bunch of other coins? >>

Well I guess you should submit your MS70 candidate as a separate submission then.

<< <i>I had called and emailed on this a few times to submit type coins. I never did get any response.

If anyone know how this is done - do tell >>

See item 3.

<< <i>3. Minimum of 100 coins per submission form; maximum of 200 coins per submission form. Mixed dates are acceptable. All coins must be of the same denomination and type. >>

I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>What is the chance of a coin remaining a MS70 if you put it in a tube with a bunch of other coins? >>

Well I guess you should submit your MS70 candidate as a separate submission then.

>>

Duh?

I was hoping to hear from someone that actually has an idea about this, or who has done a bulk submission and knows the answer.
  • Options
    Well if you truely believed that the coin would grade MS70, then why would you include it on a bulk submission? I thought it was a very reasonable answer to a strange question.

Bulk submissions are not intended to be sight unseen submissions. You really need to have an idea on what you are submitting before just sending them in. The whole point behind the bulk submission program is to offer low cost grading services on mainly modern coins as nothing over $300 should go into the submission.

Sure, its a lot of money up front but the end result is an $8.00 grading fee vs a $14 to $50 grading fee.

So to answer your original question, the chances of an MS70 going into a tube of other coins and still coming out a 70 are pretty slim. Not impossible, but slim.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    BECOKABECOKA Posts: 16,957 ✭✭✭

Slim, why would you put it in a tube? Most bulk coins get sent to PCGS in their original mint capsules and many MS70's graded this way.
  • Options

<< <i>

Slim, why would you put it in a tube? Most bulk coins get sent to PCGS in their original mint capsules and many MS70's graded this way. >>

Ahhh, an answer! Thank you.

Why you ask? As I understand the submission rules as outlined in the thread on this site pertaining to bulk submissions, that is how bulk submissions are submitted as written earlier in this very thread by the president of PGCS.
  • Options
    There is a trick to this. Use your kitchen table for best results. Now as you always should, handle your coins with cotton gloves. Now, place your coins in a very neat straight up and down stack, as however many you want graded. Then, place your tube down over the top of your coins very slowly until they are all in the tube. Then gently slide the tube off the table, making sure your other hand is ready to hold the coins from falling out of the end of the tube. Then just flip it over and cap it. NO DINGS!

This has been brought to you by, ME! LOL. This is what I always do anyways. Let me know how it works out for you.
    Having Fun At Other Peoples Expenses, One Day At A Time!
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    3. Minimum of 100 coins per submission form; maximum of 200 coins per submission form. Mixed dates are acceptable. All coins must be of the same denomination and type.

I was just told by Staphanie that there was a max of 4 Dates/MM.

Is this true?
  • Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭

<< <i>There is a trick to this. Use your kitchen table for best results. Now as you always should, handle your coins with cotton gloves. Now, place your coins in a very neat straight up and down stack, as however many you want graded. Then, place your tube down over the top of your coins very slowly until they are all in the tube. Then gently slide the tube off the table, making sure your other hand is ready to hold the coins from falling out of the end of the tube. Then just flip it over and cap it. NO DINGS!

This has been brought to you by, ME! LOL. This is what I always do anyways. Let me know how it works out for you. >>

Then they receive it, dump it out from 4 feet in the air, and you have a bunch of nice chattered up coins. LOL

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please help me understand this.

If the 2005 or 2006 Uncirculated mint set in Satin Finish is submitted and it contains 22 coins, does it only take 5 of these sets to get the 100 coins minimum that it takes to obtain the bulk rate , or do all of the coins need to be the same denomination ?
  • Options
    57loaded57loaded Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Please help me understand this.

If the 2005 or 2006 Uncirculated mint set in Satin Finish is submitted and it contains 22 coins, does it only take 5 of these sets to get the 100 coins minimum that it takes to obtain the bulk rate , or do all of the coins need to be the same denomination ? >>

same denomination and type

• Options
    holeinone1972holeinone1972 Posts: 5,348 ✭✭✭
    You can do bulk submittals of Presidential proof sets though. 25 sets (4) 1 dollar coins = 100 coins

• Options

<< <i>Please help me understand this.

If the 2005 or 2006 Uncirculated mint set in Satin Finish is submitted and it contains 22 coins, does it only take 5 of these sets to get the 100 coins minimum that it takes to obtain the bulk rate , or do all of the coins need to be the same denomination ? >>

Max 4 dates and or mintmarks per submission. If you send in the set with 22 coins it will get broken up into different submissions.
  • Options
    Sounds like this is heavily leaned toward dealers.
    How many collectors have 25+ of the same coin.
    With a limit of 4 different dates/mm, there has to be at least 25+ of the same coin.

Oh well, sounded good while it lasted.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you Becoka and 57 Loaded.
    I appreciate the response on my question.
  • Options

<< <i>I had called and emailed on this a few times to submit type coins. I never did get any response.

If anyone know how this is done - do tell >>

seateddime: i can`t sat for sure but i would say its $8 or so a coin in bulk. unless you expect ms69`s and 70`s it should be about $8. i have done bulk without any phone calls or emails. 100 coins and most graded 65(modern stuff) and cost $8. remember if you send in a coin valued at over $300 it has to be under another submission level. if you have that many send `em in, they won`t do you wrong. you`ll be happy with 200 slabs in front of you image
    my ebay items BST transactions/swaps/giveaways with: Tiny, raycyca,mrpaseo, Dollar2007,Whatafind, Boom, packers88, DBSTrader2, 19Lyds, Mar327, pontiacinf, ElmerFusterpuck.
  • Options

<< <i>Sounds like this is heavily leaned toward dealers.
    How many collectors have 25+ of the same coin.
    With a limit of 4 different dates/mm, there has to be at least 25+ of the same coin.

Oh well, sounded good while it lasted. >>

duh! of course it is for the dealers. I don't understand the surprise that there would be a different rate structure for those entities that submit the most coins, especially the type of coins that would fall into a bulk submission.

And for the guy asking about type coins, are you really saying that you have 100+ coins that are all the same type and denomination, with a limit of only 4 date/mm combinations, and there are no coins in the group worth more than $300?!? While it is possible, it is also VERY unlikely.
    "From Time to Time the Tree of Liberty Must be Refreshed with the Blood of Patriots and of Tyrants"

--Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    I don't understand the surprise that there would be a different rate structure for those entities that submit the most coins, especially the type of coins that would fall into a bulk submission.

I would guess that would be moderns, right?

Too bad as I have my 100+ IHC, Lincolns,Jeffersons, Roosevelts, Mercuries and Washingtons ready to go.
    That's 600+ that I would send in (maybe not all at once, but would be priority #1) if bulk submissions were based on denomination, not 4 dates.

I do wonder though if this rule will change if submissions fall.
    Wasn't there already 'feelers' about grading problem coins?
    Isn't NC authenticating/(net) grading problem coins?

Who's leading & who's following?
  • Options

<< <i>Can I submit 50 2008 Bald Eagle Proof Silver Dollar Coins and 50 2008 Bald Eagle Uncirculated Silver Dollar Coins and still qualify for a bulk submission?

Inquiring minds want to know!

image >>

YES
  • Options
    Can I submit 50 2008 Bald Eagle Proof Silver Dollar Coins and 50 2008 Bald Eagle Uncirculated Silver Dollar Coins and still qualify for a bulk submission?

Inquiring minds want to know!

• Options
    Hi BECOKA, if you don't mind me asking, did you in fact do this very thing?

• Options

<< <i>Hi BECOKA, if you don't mind me asking, did you in fact do this very thing?

image >>

I have done the same thing with Silver Eagles proof and UnC and commemoratives proof and Unc. As long as they are the same series you should be OK. Heck I have even done it with Silver and Gold on the commemoratives.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Is there any break in submission cost? Or is $14 per coin the minimum? >>

It is $8 per coin up to a certain grade (depending on the coin type). Then it goes up. >>

$8 and up if you're a dealer.

$10 and up if you're a collector.
    Best Regards,

Rob

"Those guys weren't Fathers they were...Mothers."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file