Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

coins i presume are roman found going through collection

weathers nasty here, so i started going through things. lot of this stuff is accumulated
from collections and flea market finds. i've bought a few lots of unsearched roman coin
on ebay and soaked them in olive oil but i'm sure these aren't from that.
any idea what time period i.e.. b.c, a.d.?
some of them i thought had descent detail.

Comments

• BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    The one with the eagle on the reverse is pretty cool.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • thanks blackhawk. it's the thickest one too.
    maybe some olive oil and qtip surgery can take off some of that green

what are we talking about here, ad 200-350? no idea here.
    i wish some of them were b.c.
    no dates, but i've always
    heard to stay away from coins dated b.c. image
  • BlackhawkBlackhawk Posts: 3,898 ✭✭✭
    I wish that I could help with the dating...I've got a bunch of ancients myself that have no IDs. I saw one with a reverse something like that eagle yesterday on Ebay, but can't find the auction now.
    "Have a nice day!"
  • STLNATSSTLNATS Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭
    Upper left mid-late 300s, can't make out the emperor. Center top row looks like tetricus but can't quite make out the legend 260s. Upper right is a tetradrachm of Alexandria Egypt under Probus, 276-282; looks like year 3. Lower left is a follis of Maxentius 306-312. Lower right is a bronze of Constantius II, commemorating taking of vows for 30 years: late 330s-340s. All roman and all AD.

Always interested in St Louis MO & IL metro area and Evansville IN national bank notes and Vatican/papal states coins and medals!
  • very much appreciated info stlnats. i'll put that info on some cards and label them.

• SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mostly what STLNATS said, with a couple of additional points:

Coin 1: small bronze of Constantine the Great or one of his relatives; looks like London mint (PLN mintmark) to me, which would date it to sometime between 300 and 325 AD.

Coin 2: bronze antoninianus of Tetricus I, usurper emperor based in France and Britain 271-274 AD. Looks like reverse type VICTORIA AVG, winged Victory walking left holding wreath and palm-branch (Sear#11254 or 11255).

Coin 3: what STLNATS said. Looks like year 3 (278 AD) to me, too.

Coin 4: follis of Maxentius, reverse type FIDES MILITVM, Fides (Faith) standing between two legionary standards.

Coin 5: what STLNATS said.

Coins like #1 and #2 are commonly found in Britain. Coin 3 is probably one of the most numerous ancient coins on the market. Overall, not a bad "Roman starter set".
    Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)

• << <i>Overall, not a bad "Roman starter set" >>

and i could get used to collecting these and learning more.
    probaby priced out of seriously nice ones.
    but may try to track down some 1st century b.c and
    first century a.d. coins.
    that's the time in roman/jewish history i'm most interested in.
    thanks for the info.