Home Metal Detecting

Off on my first outing of 2007

lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
... and to dig what may very likely end up being Round 1 of VTH3.

Wish me luck! If it turns out to have been a total skunkfest (which could happen on this site), then I will eliminate the round using the "best 2 out 3" clause in VTH3, which will mean my next two rounds will count regardless of what is found.

But it could be a good spot for a relic or two. It IS a good spot for relics- an old plantation near my house that was shelled by Union gunboats in 1864. Nothing remains of any buildings- it's all woods and semi-cleared land now. Just timber.

Some nice early coins have been found there, all by my friend Billy Ridenour. The best I've managed personally on the site so far is a 1918-D Merc dime.

Here's a previous Digger's Diary story about the site.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Comments

• Good luck!!
  • ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If it turns out to have been a total skunkfest (which could happen on this site) >>

VTH3 support staff performing clean-up activities on LM's site... image

Good luck!!!
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • phutphut Posts: 1,087
    imageimage
    Can I borrow that team in March?

image Rob
  • Weeeellll????

Since it a potential VTH3, I guess I can only ask:
    Was it a stinker or keeper hunt?!

• lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No skunks were seen! image

However, the site I provided a link to was a no-go. I got out there and was just about to start detecting when a truck pulled up and stopped. I said hi and asked the fella if he was working on the site. (Timber crews sometimes do.) He said no, he was one of the people leasing it, and they were a hunting club. He wasn't at all huffy about it but he did mention they were hunting out there. Not wanting to detect with bullets whizzing by, I said I guessed I didn't need to be there and I moved on.

Found another freshly-cleared relic site but only dug a few targets there. It is interesting and probably at least 100 years old but I will leave the finds to be announced later. Suffice it to say there was nothing spectacular, but one relic worthy of keeping as a VTH3 target showed up. I realized it was gonna take me all day to find twelve nontrash targets on this rather sparse site, so I moved on and will likely check it out the next time I'm in relic mode. I wanted to get some coinshooting in so I went to Old Town Brunswick and worked the sidewalk strips and medians.

OK, I will drop two hints.

Hint #1: the first target (the one I dug out in the boonies on the relic site) was something that matches a forum member's name.

Hint #2: though I found Indian Head cents in both VTH1 and VTH2, I never got silvered in either. That trend will not continue in VTH3. image

(Whether the Indian Head cent trend continues or not remains to be seen.)

That's all I'm sayin' fer now, and I probably said too much. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

<< <i>image >>

• Hint #1: the first target (the one I dug out in the boonies on the relic site) was something that matches a forum member's name.

You found a petrified rat?? image
    No. I found a somebody's phut. And I said "phut the wuck?"

Actually, I found a Zot. But then the aliens took it away in their spaceship.

• << <i>Hint #1: the first target (the one I dug out in the boonies on the relic site) was something that matches a forum member's name. >>

<< <i>Hint #2: though I found Indian Head cents in both VTH1 and VTH2, I never got silvered in either. That trend will not continue in VTH3. >>

Now let's not give it away before it's started. imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage

• << <i>
    Hint #1: the first target (the one I dug out in the boonies on the relic site) was something that matches a forum member's name.
    >>

Your kidding me... you found a 1997 30th Anniversary Camaro? How in the world did you dig that up?

On a side note... im thinking of coming down there to do another round. I wouldnt mind going out with you again to any of those sites. Just let me know.

William
    I hunted your Magic Median Strip again today, William. image

Another newbie detectorist outdid me on that same strip, just like you did, but almost a year ago.

It seems to have some special mojo for young, visiting detectorists.

PS- if you ain't gonna sell me that 1927 Brunswick chauffer badge, at least get us a picture of it! Sheesh!

Since you didn't have it imaged in time for the December polls I am sure it would be all right to put it in the January polls.

• << <i>Hint #1: the first target (the one I dug out in the boonies on the relic site) was something that matches a forum member's name. >>

<< <i>Hint #2: though I found Indian Head cents in both VTH1 and VTH2, I never got silvered in either. That trend will not continue in VTH3. >>

Hmm....Interesting.....no clue.

<< <i>Now let's not give it away before it's started. imageimage >>

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Uh oh... we better get this going quickly before LM leaks more clues... image

Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro

• << <i>Uh oh... we better get this going quickly before LM leaks more clues... image

image >>

Somebody let Phut out of the bag!
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Im going to keep it. Finding that really sparked an interest for me with things like that. Before finding that... I had no desire. I caught myself going through logging areas afterwords near Charleston after that night with you... lol.
    Good, I'm glad it sparked an interest with you. I am envious of the find.

(For those reading, William came down to visit me and we did a brief night hunt. In that one particular traffic island, I did a little sleight of hand and planted a crummy, dug-lookin' 1907-O Barber quarter in one of his holes while he was diggin'. An exciting find, though hoaxed. But right after that he dug up 1927 Licensed Chauffer badge #114 from Brunswick, GA- which I hadn't planted! I 'fessed up to the hoax after he made the "real" find.)

You gotta post pics of that thing. I have never found one, though I have seen some from other cities posted by other detectorists here.

• Now I am wondering if you ever hoaxed me???????..You sneaky rascal!

Nah, I always 'fess up in the end, when I've hoaxed somebody.