Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1796 vs 1804 Quarters

bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭
I think the 1796 is perceived to be scarcer.

But at the last several major auctions or even on the bourse I see more 1796's.

I didn't see any nice 1804's for sale.

Any thoughts?
I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
I give away money. I collect money.
I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

Comments

• Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275
    I'll agree with everything you've said.

I think I've seen one raw 1804 Qaurter at a show in Colorado. I don't usually look for the 1804, it's more the 1796 therefore, I think the 1804 coin that gets severely overlooked. Those two quarters should have a similar pairing as the 1796 and 1797 Halves do.-IMO.
  • Options
    mirabelamirabela Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Doesn't the added pressure on the 1796 probably have something to do with type collectors? As the only small-eagle quarter, I can intuitively understand why it is more heavily sought after than the 1804, which is important only to date or date/variety collectors of early quarters.
    mirabela
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe there are fewer 1804s. However the 1796 will always be more popular.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    As a one year type the 1796 is in much higher demand than an 1804.

Also, I would guess there are at least 5 times more 1796 than 1804s. That's for sure in mint state and many even a higher multiple in circ. grades.

I would assume that the 1796 was recognized early on as a one year type coin and pulled out of circulation.
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • Options

<< <i>Doesn't the added pressure on the 1796 probably have something to do with type collectors? As the only small-eagle quarter, I can intuitively understand why it is more heavily sought after than the 1804, which is important only to date or date/variety collectors of early quarters. >>

I think that is probably true.....but still where are all the 1804 quarters?

I am talking more about availability than collecting for type reasons.

• Options

<< <i>As a one year type the 1796 is in much higher demand than an 1804.

Also, I would guess there are at least 5 times more 1796 than 1804s. That's for sure in mint state and many even a higher multiple in circ. grades.

I would assume that the 1796 was recognized early on as a one year type coin and pulled out of circulation. >>

So you would agree that in fact the 1804 is scarcer?

• Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Doesn't the added pressure on the 1796 probably have something to do with type collectors? As the only small-eagle quarter, I can intuitively understand why it is more heavily sought after than the 1804, which is important only to date or date/variety collectors of early quarters. >>

Bingo - I think this is a huge factor in the pricing difference.

As for pricing being similar to that of the 1796 / 97 half dollars (from a later post in this thread) - while I'd like that to be the case, there is no way that is about to occur as the 96 / 97 half dollars are very limited in availability. While I've seen many 1796 quarters at shows over the years, I have yet to see a 1796 or 1797 half dollar at a show with the exception of a display coin that wasn't for sale (at that time).
  • Options
    I checked the combined pop reports before I made my comments.

The 1796 outnumbers the 1804 in MS by 5x; in AU by 8x, and in XF and below just slightly.

Looks like the 1796 was saved more often.
    Don Willis
    Premium Numismatics, Inc.
    myurl
    800-596-COIN
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both years have that aura around them, but I believe that that 17 at the beginning had more of these held onto. Good detective workimage
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    notwilightnotwilight Posts: 12,864 ✭✭✭
    Great thread guys. thanks. --jerry
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,788 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1796 25c has a lot going for it, IMO. First year of issue for the denomination, 18th century date, one year type and they come prettier. Usually, I prefer the rarer coin. In this case, if I could have but one of the two, it would be the 1796.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The 1796 and 1804 issues had nearly identical production numbers, but the 1796 was saved in high grade much more extensively than the 1804. Therefore, in high grade the 1796 is encountered more readily than the 1804. In fact, the 1796 is more often encountered in most grades than the 1804 and much of this may be attributed to its one year type status and the fact that it was the initial twentyfive cent offering from the US Mint. I don't think the date pressure of the 1804 will overtake the date and type pressure exerted on the 1796. Both coins are tough, and if you can find an attractive, problem-free example of either coin in a "collector friendly" grade, say VG8-VF35, then you have found a treasure.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can someone please tell me as to why the Mint stopped making quarters after 1796 for a few years?

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    The answer to that question is due to the lack of popularity with the general public, and the production problems that arose from having to roll the planchet stock so thin.

I have an extensive chapter about the 1796 quarters in my book titled "Henry Voigt and Other Involved with America's Early Coinage". There's more accurate information about this issue than has ever been presented before in any text. There's also a wonderful color image of the finest 1796 quarter from the Col. Green hoard, which is also described in detail.

The book goes on sale at the 2007 ANA show for $79. The price after the show is $95. Copies can be ordered from:

Karl Moulton
    PO Box 1073
    Congress, AZ 85332

PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Can someone please tell me as to why the Mint stopped making quarters after 1796 for a few years? >>

Demand was low since there were a sufficient number of Spanish 2 Real pieces in circulation.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    firstmintfirstmint Posts: 1,171
    This over-simplified and worn out response is only partly correct at best. Yes, there was foreign coinage circulating, with the Spanish pieces seen primarily in the southern regions. Unfortunately, there is no way to accurately validate and document the amount of coins in circulation of Spanish two bit pieces from this time frame.

However, with that being said, the general populace never used the quarter dollars, they didn't know how to figure the math to correctly make change, and they didn't really understand what the coins were meant to be - as there was no denomination found anywhere.

There's much more to the story than just saying the Spanish two bit pieces covered the need for quarters in circulation from 1796 to 1804.
    PM me if you are looking for U.S. auction catalogs
  • Options
    ColonialCoinUnionColonialCoinUnion Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭

<< <i>However, with that being said, the general populace never used the quarter dollars, they didn't know how to figure the math to correctly make change, and they didn't really understand what the coins were meant to be - as there was no denomination found anywhere. >>

That's pretty interesting stuff -
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great information.

The 1796 quarter is at the top of my wish list.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file