Home Sports Talk
Options

I feel real bad for LDT

gosteelersgosteelers Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭
May be the greatest RB of all time when all is said and done and this may have been his best shot to win it all. What a great competitor he is.

Comments

• Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    Just wondering, why was he so upset at the end of the game? He always seems like a class guy, but something really caused him to flip out at the end, as players were trying to congratulate him on his season. Seemed odd to me.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    He took offense to the early celebrating by some of the Pats players (like the 3 seconds left really would have made a difference to Bolts at that point).
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just wondering, why was he so upset at the end of the game? He always seems like a class guy, but something really caused him to flip out at the end, as players were trying to congratulate him on his season. Seemed odd to me. >>

I think he wasn't happy about some of the celebrations of the Patriots players in "his house." Could be wrong, but that's what was being speculated and it seems to be the explanation that makes the most sense.
  • Options
    That's kind of what I thought - but like Brian48 said, would 3 seconds really make that big a difference? I think he overreacted a bit.
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They did the "Lights Out" dance at midfield. LT felt dissed. Marginal move by some pats, but marginal of Merriman to do that dance after hitting brady after the ball was out of his hands (not even a sack). What comes around goes around I guess.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    He picked the wrong thing to complain about. I'd like to know how that late hit on Rivers near the end of the game wasn't a penalty?
  • Options
    Yeah, it's a bit of poor sportsmanship perhaps, but it shows he's a competitor to the very end. It's better than those jackoffs that immediately after the game that they lose are seen hugging and lauging with the opposing team.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, it's a bit of poor sportsmanship perhaps, but it shows he's a competitor to the very end. It's better than those jackoffs that immediately after the game that they lose are seen hugging and lauging with the opposing team.

True point about LT, but the truth is that most of these guys aren't as fierce about hating the opposing team's players as the fans are. Many of these guys are close off the field, even if they're from different teams. The NFL is a small fraternity in that sense.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    What was with the slam on Bellichek by LT after the game? Said that the players were not showing class and that they probably get it from their coach. I can think of far less classier coaches than Captain Sweatpants.
    Travis
  • Options
    emotional statement which i dismiss
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    One of the good things that comes from this (from a non-pats fan's point-of-view) is that there might be a reduction in the number of people who play as the chargers online in madden. I have a hard time believing that 60% of all the assclowns online in madden are bolts fans.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He picked the wrong thing to complain about. I'd like to know how that late hit on Rivers near the end of the game wasn't a penalty? >>

looked to me that the Patriot defender was steered into Rivers, so no foul.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>What was with the slam on Bellichek by LT after the game? Said that the players were not showing class and that they probably get it from their coach. I can think of far less classier coaches than Captain Sweatpants. >>

That was out of line. Bellichick would be the LAST coach in the NFL to encourage excess celebration. LT was acting like a baby, which is out of character for him.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gimme a break LT, I think its sweet justice for all those meaningless late in the 4th quarter TDS that LT was allowed to smash in from the five yard line on opposing defenses a few times this season. Hey, I got no problem with a guy being angry but screw San Diego, I was told they were not selling tickets to Patriot fans? Anyone got anything on that? It might have been a drunken rumor I heard so Im not sure about that one...

At the end of the day, LT is the best running back in the NFL and had an incredible season crushing the TD record...my hats off to him, that being said....WHATEVER!!!!! The Patriots are going to the AFC championship game, LT have a nice offseason. Thanks.
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭

<< <i>emotional statement which i dismiss >>

count me in
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>But to your point, this happened after "the very end." The game was over. No point in being bitter at that juncture. There are TONS of competitive players who congratulate the winning team after a hard fought loss. It shows character and good humanity. If you think being angry about football forever because your team lost is a good thing, then you and I just completely disagree on this issue. >>

Forever? As you stated it was "the very end" of the game. How does that translate to forever?

If you think that you can go from full tilt to being OK with a playoff loss within a matter of seconds, I would have to gather that you never played competitive sports beyond little league.

It's a battle out there, and when the game is over some guys handle disappointment differently. I have lost no respect for LT. I am neither a SD or NE fan, nor did I see what set him off as none of you did either. The sportscasters always put their input on things and that then, is assumed as fact. Either way, LT is a helluva player and a class act.

When TO did a dance on the Dallas star a few years back, people applauded the Cowboy that took him down. What's with the double standard?
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    I didn't hear him slam Bellichick, but that was clearly something he'll regret saying. Anyone who follows football knows that Bellichick is the last coach to encourage any type of excess celebrating and taunting. I still can't believe he acted the way he did - I always assumed he was a quiet and gracious player. But, due to the circumstances, I am inclined to give him a pass as well.
  • Options

<< <i>I thought that was really poor sportsmanship on his part. If the roles were reveresed, I'm sure many of the Chargers would be doing the exact same thing. It's an emotional game and at the very moment you realize that you've sealed a spot on the AFC championship game, obviously you're going to be very excited, sometimes uncontrollably so. >>

Yes, he got mad because three dumb pats players decided to hold him on the field, he wanted to get off, leave, he just lost let him go, he gave some hand shakes and wanted out, but pats players felt it neccessary to hug it out for some reason, OBV he didn't want that and when they held him, he shouldve popped them upside the head, you don't hold a guy on the field that just lost a playoff game against his will.
  • Options

<< <i><<Yeah, it's a bit of poor sportsmanship perhaps, but it shows he's a competitor to the very end. It's better than those jackoffs that immediately after the game that they lose are seen hugging and lauging with the opposing team. >>

First off, it's just a game. Yes JUST a game. There are SO many more important things in life. But to your point, this happened after "the very end." The game was over. No point in being bitter at that juncture. There are TONS of competitive players who congratulate the winning team after a hard fought loss. It shows character and good humanity. If you think being angry about football forever because your team lost is a good thing, then you and I just completely disagree on this issue. >>

This is the mans livelyhood, he does this for a living, for him its not just a game. Just because you watch this game that he plays doesn't mean its the same for you as it is for him. You played sports in high school right? After getting beat in the playoffs my senior year(2 years ago) knowing it was over and feeling awful, I sure didn't want to be on the field.
  • Options
    Lothar52Lothar52 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭
    anyone got a link to a story about it or a youtube link?

Loth
  • Options
    He's a sore loser! He got beat and cried like a baby. So what if guys were dancing on the Charger logo.....you didn't see any of the other Charger players crying about it. He'll do the same thing every other athlete does. He'll come back the next day an issue an apology that's meaningless......saying something like it wasn't in his character and he didn't mean any disrespect. Kind of like the lineman stomping the other guy's head earlier in the season. ESPN will keep showing it over and over. Dan Patrick will talk about it for three hours on his radio show. Then finally, they'll stop talking about it and get back on the subject near and dear to their hearts.......Barry and his roids!!!
  • Options
    This is a one day story if it's even that.
  • Options
    LaDanian Pujols anyone?
    Travis
  • Options
    Here is something i found:

Once it was over, Tomlinson, like Brady one of the most laid-back superstars in any sport, lost his cool. He went after an unidentified Patriots player and had to be restrained by a teammate and former Charger Reche Caldwell, who had a huge game for the Patriots.

Tomlinson yelled and pointed at the Patriots player, upset that some Patriots were dancing on the Chargers logo at midfield after they had silenced the record crowd of 68,810 at Qualcomm Stadium.

''I would never react in that way. I was very upset,'' Tomlinson said. ''When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for, that is disrespectful. They showed no class and maybe that comes from the head coach.''

Merriman, nicknamed ''Lights Out,'' did a spasmodic dance to celebrate each of his NFL-high 17 sacks.

''We lost to a better team today,'' Tomlinson said. ''Hopefully the next opportunity we have we'll learn something from this.''

Tomlinson ran for 123 yards and two scores, and caught two passes for 64 yards.

• Options
    Randy... what you see in the short time obviously doesnt tell the whole story why LT was upset...lol.
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>''We lost to a better team today,'' Tomlinson said. ''Hopefully the next opportunity we have we'll learn something from this.'' >>

True dat. They lost to a better TEAM. Not necessarily to a team with better athletes or a team which dominated the game save for mistakes. But a better TEAM because they just don't beat themselves.
  • Options

<< <i>Randy... what you see in the short time obviously doesnt tell the whole story why LT was upset...lol. >>

Right it was also a reason he was mad though....

Hey the pats coach did this too to his former Head coach who beat him, when you play sports you don't want to lose. I know all Pats fan think there team is class and all that but they aren't. Tom Brady complains too. The better team did not win, the team with god as their QB won.
  • Options
    This pic of LT "staying classy" posted on profootballtalk.com

• Options

<< <i>This pic of LT "staying classy" posted on profootballtalk.com

image >>

Everybody has that shirt, though...image
  • Options

<< <i>LaDanian Pujols anyone? >>

Funny, I was thinking the exact same thing!

Actually, I still can't believe his actions. I was listening to NFL Radio this afternoon, and they interviewed one of the Patriots DB's. When asked about LT's temper tantrum, he replied "Funny, they (meaning the Chargers) did the exact same thing on our field after the game when the Chargers beat us in the regular season - and, we had gotten word that the Chargers had already planned their victory parade before the game, and had scouts at both NFC games scouting possible Super Bowl opponents".

Then, during the post-game comments, LT actually has to tell us - "I'm a classy guy". Well, if you're a classy guy, you don't have to tell people...they just know. Apparently, like Pujols, the bloom is off the rose for LT.
  • Options
    Merriman can go do his little dance at espn the weekend, or at the steroid shop, or at the golf course, or anywhere else the woulda-coulda-shoulda's are meeting.

I give LT a pass on this one. He did a heckuva job Sunday, and all year, only to see his teammates screw it up. No need to build him up then tear him down.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Interesting how that is about the only thing I remember him saying all year, and it was sour. Like the earlier poster said, what goes around comes around. If you dont like others doing that to your team, tell your team to stop doing the same.
  • Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭
    Damn good player, but man-up and quit whining.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭

<< <i>''I would never react in that way. I was very upset,'' Tomlinson said. ''When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for, that is disrespectful. They showed no class and maybe that comes from the head coach.'' >>

This seems to be getting a lot of play time with the press today. I guess there's not much to report until we get closer to this weekend. Anyway, my 2 cents - when I first heard him say this, my initial interpretation was:

"They are taunting us with the same taunt that we (Merriman) use to taunt them. They got no class."

Eh?? Now that may not be the point that LT was trying to make, but it certainly sounded like it and did nothing but make him look like a whiner. There's something to be said about being able to take it as well as dish it out.
  • Options

<< <i>''I would never react in that way. I was very upset,'' Tomlinson said. ''When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for, that is disrespectful. They showed no class and maybe that comes from the head coach.'' >>

The other part that bugs me about his quote is "I would never react in that way"

Well, LT, obviously you would because you just did.
    Travis
  • Options

Obviously an emotional statement that has now snowballed. He doesn't seem to want to take it back.

Punishment for being stupid?

Maybe next season he should be required to say "I play for the Whale's Vagina Chargers" whenever he is interviewed.

Now that is staying classy. image
  • Options
  • Options
    softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>and had scouts at both NFC games scouting possible Super Bowl opponents". >>

Jerry,

EVERY team does that.

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I give LT a pass on this one, too. He said what he said right after a crushing defeat that his team totally blew despite him playing a whale of a game, and he reacted in the moment. I'm sure most of us say things we don't really mean when emotions run high. Fact is, LT is the best football player on the planet and has been a class act throughout his career. This is much ado about nothing, IMO.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>I give LT a pass on this one, too. He said what he said right after a crushing defeat that his team totally blew despite him playing a whale of a game, and he reacted in the moment. I'm sure most of us say things we don't really mean when emotions run high. Fact is, LT is the best football player on the planet and has been a class act throughout his career. This is much ado about nothing, IMO. >>

You know - I completely agreed with that assessment right after the game ended. But, LT hasn't backed off from his comments two days later, in fact - he reiterated them again. He also made sure to comment about Belichick again on Tuesday, when asked about him -

<< <i>Tomlinson was asked about the possibility of being coached by Belichick in the Pro Bowl, which could happen if the Patriots lose the AFC Championship game.

"It will be pretty interesting," he said. "I don't know how that would go over, but obviously I probably wouldn't say two words to him. I definitely wouldn't. In the heat of the moment and competitive nature, sometimes you say things. I don't know if that's where they get it from, the coach or not.

>>

• Options
    dirtmonkeydirtmonkey Posts: 3,048 ✭✭

<< <i>I give LT a pass on this one, too. He said what he said right after a crushing defeat that his team totally blew despite him playing a whale of a game, and he reacted in the moment. I'm sure most of us say things we don't really mean when emotions run high. Fact is, LT is the best football player on the planet and has been a class act throughout his career. This is much ado about nothing, IMO. >>

As already indicated, the problem I have is that he's still pounding his fists on the floor like a spoiled child. Boohoo buddy. Let it go. He's had time to think about it and he's still crying about it.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    << Tomlinson was asked about the possibility of being coached by Belichick in the Pro Bowl, which could happen if the Patriots lose the AFC Championship game.

"It will be pretty interesting," he said. "I don't know how that would go over, but obviously I probably wouldn't say two words to him. I definitely wouldn't. In the heat of the moment and competitive nature, sometimes you say things. I don't know if that's where they get it from, the coach or not.

>>

He doesn't need to say anything to Belichick. If he's smart he'll shut up and listen to him. Unless he likes losing to less talented teams (and I mean that in the best way image)
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    Funny how the Pats fans come out in force. The only thing I disagree with is the talk about it since the game. If I was on the Chargers and it offended me, then I'd do the same thing that happened to TO when he posed on the star. I wouldn't care what fine was levied against me I'd let them know that chit don't fly in my stadium.

To all you Pats fans, deal with it. A few of your very own "Patriots" showed that they don't have class, and that's the truth. It's one thing to win, it's another thing to showup an opponent you already defeated. Now, yes the Patriots organization, well I don't look at it as classless. But every organization has some classless individuals, and it showed on the field postgame.
    Collecting;
    Mark Mulder rookies
    Chipper Jones rookies
    Orlando Cabrera rookies
    Lawrence Taylor
    Sam Huff
    Lavar Arrington
    NY Giants
    NY Yankees
    NJ Nets
    NJ Devils
    1950s-1960s Topps NY Giants Team cards