Home Sports Talk
Options

Pats are just amazing .... year after year

softparadesoftparade Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
They keep this up and they will have haters nationwide just like the Yankees image

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

Comments

• Options
    Well as a Jets fan I'm not exactly in love with them.
  • Options
    Brian48Brian48 Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭
    Un-friggin-believable! I was convinced they were probably going to lose the game based on the slow start, BUT SOMEHOW, they clawed back and WON!! INDY, here we COME!! image
  • Options
    ziggy29ziggy29 Posts: 18,668 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Un-friggin-believable! I was convinced they were probably going to lose the game based on the slow start... >>

I NEVER believe the Pats will lose in January. Ever. Even when I think they are the inferior team, or at least have far less talent.

Never, never, NEVER bet against the Pats in January. Ever. Even if all logic says they should get killed. And even in games like this one, where they logically had no business being close, let alone winning. It almost seems like they made a deal with the devil, their dependability and (arguably) good fortune is that consistent.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Pats had to win this game, now it sets up for Manning's redemption.image
  • Options
    ctsoxfanctsoxfan Posts: 6,246 ✭✭
    What a game - and a fantastic comeback. But, it almost seemed like we were just waiting for the Patriots to come back.

Big props to Troy Brown - he made a huge play that helped save the game. He never gets the press, but he has been a big asset to Brady and the Patriots for years now.
  • Options
    "They keep this up and they will have haters nationwide just like the Yankees"

With JS as their leader image
    give me liberty or give me death
    my hotelsimage
  • Options

<< <i>What a game - and a fantastic comeback. But, it almost seemed like we were just waiting for the Patriots to come back. >>

The last five years have spoiled you. image

I don't know if there's ever been a team in NFL history so seemingly destined to win playoff games that seem like they should be lost. I don't mean to say that dismissively or as pure luck, either. Maybe they've had some, but you don't do it THAT consistently year after year and chalk it all up to being lucky.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    F%&$ New Englandimageimageimageimage

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>F%&$ New Englandimageimageimageimage >>

Heh. But you should be saving that for the guy who intercepts (and fumbles) a fourth down pass he should have knocked down. Or the moron who head-butted a Patriots player and gave them a stupid first down. Or any number of San Diego players who, despite looking like the superior cast of characters on the field, endured a mental lapse which led to any of the Patriots' points or cost the Chargers a chance to score some of their own.
  • Options
    I guess this sort of makes up for the mental lapses the Pats made last year with Denver image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>F%&$ New Englandimageimageimageimage >>

Heh. But you should be saving that for the guy who intercepts (and fumbles) a fourth down pass he should have knocked down. Or the moron who head-butted a Patriots player and gave them a stupid first down. Or any number of San Diego players who, despite looking like the superior cast of characters on the field, endured a mental lapse which led to any of the Patriots' points or cost the Chargers a chance to score some of their own. >>

You're exactly right Ziggy, I should!imageimageimage

Steve
  • Options

<< <i>F%&$ New Englandimageimageimageimage

Steve >>

Steve - are you upset about something?
  • Options
    YES, How'd you notice?imageimageimage

Steve
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gostkowski showed me something.
    Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We are amazing, but I just gotta say we really were lucky enough to poop in a swinging jug with the way Bellichek and the Whole system has fallen into place for us, being a Red Sox fan and dealing with letdown after letdown this whole Patriots team seems sureal to me, heck Im still in amazment we beat the Rams, let alone the other 2 rings we got.
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>They keep this up and they will have haters nationwide just like the Yankees image >>

Sort of. If they find a way to build a payroll that's 5 times higher than the league average THEN they'll have haters nationwide just like the Yankees.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>They keep this up and they will have haters nationwide just like the Yankees image >>

Sort of. If they find a way to build a payroll that's 5 times higher than the league average THEN they'll have haters nationwide just like the Yankees. >>

Exactly! I think it's a bad comparison - the Patriots have a "lunch-pail" work ethic, not a lot of big names, and not a lot of flashy overpaid stars. What they do have is a great system, coaching, and the right team of players to consistently win.

The Yankees are nothing like this.
  • Options
    The Pats play a kind of old time smash mouth football. Belichek was known for that when he
    was defensive cord. for the giants. I was a darn close game, but you could see the Pats experience
    show as the game wore on.
    my hotelsimage
  • Options
    "That was as tough a game as I can remember playing," said Brady, who was 11-of-19 for 145 yards and a touchdown in the fourth quarter. "We were doing everything we could to gain five yards out there.
    my hotelsimage
  • Options

<< <i> Exactly! I think it's a bad comparison - the Patriots have a "lunch-pail" work ethic, not a lot of big names, and not a lot of flashy overpaid stars. What they do have is a great system, coaching, and the right team of players to consistently win.

The Yankees are nothing like this. >>

The Yankees have had their share of your "lunch pail" teams . The 1996 team especially. Even 1998 GREAT team had this so called "lunch pail" quality. The payroll angle holds no water. Yankee haters hate the Yankees because they are good almost all the time. The payroll angle has just been too convienient to lean on since 1999 or so. Haters have been across the country forever.

The Patriots are awesome ..... and growing a nice base of haters all around. image Good job by them!

ISO 1978 Topps Baseball in NM-MT High Grade Raw 3, 100, 103, 302, 347, 376, 416, 466, 481, 487, 509, 534, 540, 554, 579, 580, 622, 642, 673, 724__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ISO 1978 O-Pee-Chee in NM-MT High Grade Raw12, 21, 29, 38, 49, 65, 69, 73, 74, 81, 95, 100, 104, 110, 115, 122, 132, 133, 135, 140, 142, 151, 153, 155, 160, 161, 167, 168, 172, 179, 181, 196, 200, 204, 210, 224, 231, 240

• Options
    Although it may sound strange coming from a Red Sox fan, I'd have to agree. The "high payroll" thing is generally an excuse used to diminish what the Yanks have done. A high payroll allows you to buy more talent, but it guarantees nothing. Look what Detroit did. Also, the Sox have the second highest payroll in the league. There is not a single team in the league who would not do what the Yanks do if they can manage it. Personally, I would rather have an owner who would stop at nothing to get this team the tools to win than a penny pinching loser who puts the bottomline above all else (Bruins tickets anybody? No thanks). You gotta give credit where credit is do. As contradictory as it sounds, you have to be held in relatively high regard to be hated nationally. That's what it means to be the top dog, even when you not actually the top dog.

Back to the Patriots, I thank I God that this incredible run of theirs is happening in the prime of my adult lifetime. Without sounding like a homer, what they've done in the last 5 years in this era of the salary cap and league parity, is just unbelievable. Even if they don't win the SB this year, the core talent is still there for next year and there is no reason to believe that they won't be right back in the thick of it. I have no delusions. The run WILL end eventually, but for now, I'm enjoying every minute of it. Go Pats.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yankee haters hate the Yankees because they are good almost all the time >>

nope. It's genetic. I grew up hating the Yankees. My mom grew up hating the Yankees. My grandmother grew up hating the Yankees. Got to be in the genes.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh yeah, so as not to derail: Yes, the Patriots are amazing. Three Superbowl victories in my lifetime is two more than I needed.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I for one typically get tired of the same teams winning all the time. I loved the Red Sox when they beat the Yankees and now I can't stand either.

However, I continually root for the Pats because I love the way they do it. Ego's checked at the door, and everyone contributes.

That and I love watching the Colts lose. image
    Travis
  • Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,537 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those Yankee teams of 1996 etc. are an excellent comparison to the Pats. Brosius, O'Neill, Bernie, etc. could beat you on any given day - like Caldwell, Gaffney, Gostkowski, and Troy Brown have been keys thus far. Lunchpail is dead-on.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think what the Pats are doing is much tougher than in any other sport. The high payroll of the Yanks may not buy a trophy every year, but it always buys a ticket to the dance. How many times have the Yanks missed the playoffs under the current wildcard format?

The NFL with the salary cap and player movement every year makes it much harder to be competitive as long as the Pats have done it. They have pretty much been a contender every year since 2001, which is just amazing. No other team has been so good for so long under the salary cap. Plus they lose assistants every year that become head coaches.

I unfortunately get to follow one of the worst run organization in sports - The Detroit Lions. I am actually hoping for the day that the Ford family loses their money and has to sell the team.
    Mike
  • Options
    Looks like a Pats hater go on Wiki, look at the 2006 season summary about halfway down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots
    Mike
  • Options
    BigRedMachineBigRedMachine Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Looks like a Pats hater go on Wiki, look at the 2006 season summary about halfway down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_England_Patriots >>

A Pats hater????

Read the first paragraph on the Colts

Not a big fan here, huh??
  • Options
    Gotta love Wiki sometimes. I remember that somebody posted under Scientology that L. Rom Hubbard has a 3" wanker. I almost cried when I read that one......the internet sometimes is has the true pulse of the people.
    Mike
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭

<< <i>Gotta love Wiki sometimes. I remember that somebody posted under Scientology that L. Rom Hubbard has a 3" wanker. I almost cried when I read that one......the internet sometimes is has the true pulse of the people. >>

The dimensions of L. Ron's phallus notwithstanding, you have to hand it to anyone who can go from being a cut rate sci-fi writer the founder of a viable religion. Say what you will about the Bible, Koran, etc., but at least none of them involve aliens. Which gets me to thinking-- maybe I've hit upon the candidate for my next avatar!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yankee haters hate the Yankees because they are good almost all the time >>

nope. It's genetic. I grew up hating the Yankees. My mom grew up hating the Yankees. My grandmother grew up hating the Yankees. Got to be in the genes. >>

Yup, same here.

• Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

<< <i> you have to hand it to anyone who can go from being a cut rate sci-fi writer the founder of a viable religion. Say what you will about the Bible, Koran, etc., but at least none of them involve aliens. >>

Pix of 'My Kids'

"How about a little fire Scarecrow ?"
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

nope. It's genetic. I grew up hating the Yankees. My mom grew up hating the Yankees. My grandmother grew up hating the Yankees. Got to be in the genes. >>

Yup, same here. >>

True, same with Yankee fans. I would love nothin other then a B-52 strike on Fenway image Not during a Yankee / Sox game of course image

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Yup, same here. >>

True, same with Yankee fans. I would love nothin other then a B-52 strike on Fenway image Not during a Yankee / Sox game of course image >>

Mustard gas would be my option during the yankees pre-game warmup.
  • Options
    Actually I wish no harm to Yankee players, I get a bigger kick out of watching them fail in the playoffs.