Home Metal Detecting
Options

2 Pfennig - Beach Find

Found this on the wind blown beach. Top layer of sand has been moved and coins are right on top of the sand.

Don't know much about this coin. :-| Has a little rim ding.

Jerry
CROCK of COINS
imageimage

Comments

• Options
    That's a west German 2 Pfennig coin. Back when east and west Germany were separated. That's an interesting find from a California beach. Back in the 70s it was approx equal to .1 cents

Garyimage
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    Some interesting find. That will be a good best foreign coin entry.
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Back in the 70s it was approx equal to .1 cents >>

Make that 1 cent.

Mintmark D stands for Munich.

From Krause:
    2 Pfennig, KM#106
    Composition: Bronze
    1966D: Mintage 65,077,000 (highest mintage for the type)
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Thanks for the info Mr. Zot.
    Kind of a strange find for this area.

Jerry
    CROCK of COINS
    imageimage
  • Options
    ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Unusual find for a US beach, indeed.
    However, for some reason these German small denomination coins are relatively common finds abroad.
    I've found at least 5-6 of them in Finland (2, 5 and 10 Pfennigs), and also some in Ireland if I remember correctly.
    Fortunately you found a bronze example. Later dates were made of bronze clad steel and tend to be in horrible shape...

Cool find. Always good to get more competition in the non-US finds category. image
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • Options
    Obviously it fell from the pocket of a East German agent of the STASI as he came ashore after leaving a submarine one dark moonless night on a clandestine spy mission during the cold war. His mission was probably to take photos of and monitor ship movement at the Port Hueneme Naval Station. He carried West German money so in case he was caught he could declare he was simply a tourist enjoying the beaches of sunny So. Calif.

Or not. image
  • Options
    Hey, thats cool! Looks waaay better than my post 1948 1 Pfennig.

<< <i>Later dates were made of bronze clad steel and tend to be in horrible shape... >>

imageimage
    Analog Rules! Knobs and Switches are cool!
    imageimage
  • Options
    phutphut Posts: 1,087

<< <i>Obviously it fell from the pocket of a East German agent of the STASI ..... >>

Cool US beach find Jerry!