Home PCGS Set Registry Forum
Options

My P01 Chain Cent Loses Me Points Since it is BN? ** Fixed by BJ **

Since deductions are subtracted from the grade, and my chain cent is P01.... they take 1 minus 3 equals negative 2, then score it!

I just confirmed it by looking at my score if the Chain Cent is removed.... my score improves!!
Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!

Comments

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    hhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
  • Options
    STONESTONE Posts: 15,275

I'll take it then image
  • Options
    DrizztDrizzt Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
    Must be they think it's a below par coin image
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Buy yourself a shiney RED PO1 image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's completely silly. NO chain cent should realize a deduction for not being red. I'm sure they'll fix that.
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I e-mailed BJ. I hope they make a change to phase out the non red bonus below upper AU.
  • Options
    Red should be a bonus, not a deduction.... for just this reason.
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Brian,

You get a bonus from me just for find one that graded, and affording it. image
    Having to get an 03BN just to break even. image
  • Options
    DAMDAM Posts: 2,410 ✭✭
    That's funny. I would consider a Chain Cent to be among a few cornerstone coins, for almost any set, regardless of grade of color. Under that scenario, an AU50 coin is reduced to XF status.

I tend to agree with TDN. Perhaps management will review the issue.

Dan
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is another way to look at it. Everyone in the set will probably have a BN Chain Cent simply because there are very few of these in red to begin with and who has the $$$ to spend on a full RD Chain Cent? image

Later, Paul.

Later, Paul.
  • Options

<< <i>There is another way to look at it. Everyone in the set will probably have a BN Chain Cent simply because there are very few of these in red to begin with and who has the $$$ to spend on a full RD Chain Cent? image

Later, Paul. >>

Even if one has the money, they simply aren't available!
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Bingo.

That's my my Pocket Piece 1792-1964 Registry set has an average grade of .86.........all my large Cents are grded PO01 BN. The deduction for BN effectively (as you note) reduce the value, thereby actually deducting points.....works for low down guys that are trying for the lowest possible average grade set.

PS: Brian, I believe I made that coin - I'm assuming its the one that Tom sold recently (I had 3 of them at one point).
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    Yes, I bought it from Tom back in the fall.
  • Options
    BJ Fixed this. Early Copper now gets a bonus for RB and RD, not a deduction for lack of RD. SCORE UP!
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Speaking of chain cents.... I just found one in the shared submissions, a 1793 with periods that someone recieved in the grade of VF30 BN. Now that friends is a big dollar coin.
    Congrats to the owner of this coin. image
    Dan
  • Options
    ColorfulcoinsColorfulcoins Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭
    Ahhhhhh.......now all my grades just went up! SUCKS
    Craig
    If I had it my way, stupidity would be painful!
  • Options
    I added an MS65RB 1803 large cent to my type collection - and got penalized for not being red. I can see a penalty for an IHC or Lincoln cent, but a turn of the 18th century coin? image

It really should be a bonus for red, rather than a penalty for not red.
  • Options
    Let's not knock lincoln cents. Keep us out of this conversation. We have a tough enough time getting red in any grade! Brown should be the standard for any copper coin. RB or RD should receive a bonus. There should never be a deduction for having a lesser color.! Now that we fixed the coin world, let's talk politicsimage
    Scott
    Dr. Scott A. Blum
    drblum@comcast.net
  • Options
    It's my VF30 chain cent. Thank you for the congrats. It took me a week to say thanks because I had to register for the message board. I was so happy with the grade that I put it in the shared submissions because I never got PCGS to upgrade a coin before (out of about 20 tries), but they sure picked a good one to do it to!
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome to the boards!
  • Options
    Dan50Dan50 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards, and nice going on the chain cent. image
    Dan
  • Options
    Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm looking forward to being able to participate in, instead of just being able to read, some of the discussions.
    I am not kidding,

G99G
    I collect 20-slab, blue plastic PCGS coin boxes. To me, every empty box is like a beating heartimage NOT.

People come up sometimes, and ask me, G99G, are you kidding? And I answer them no, I am NOT KIDDING.

Every empty box?
    C'mon!