Home U.S. Coin Forum

So-Called Dollar Mini-Hoard...........................And still more pictures added!!!!!

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Earlier this week I was contacted by the local dealer about a small hoard of approximately 100 medals he purchased as part of an ongoing collection that an area collector is slowly selling. He was able to identify several of them from the SC$ book the seller included but asked me if I'd help with the identification and perhaps the selling, allowing me access to buy whatever items I chose first. I went to his shop Wednesday after work and brought the two Dansco World Coin Albums home with me, finally getting a chance to dig in to things this afternoon. What I found was pure delight!!!!! To be sure, some of the medals have problems ranging from hairline evidence from improper cleaning to outright polishing/plating on a couple, but overall it's a nice group. The bulk of the items are listed by Hibler-Kappen as RARE with some unlisted alloys, also.

In the end there were close to 40 individual HK numbers in the collection.

HK-4: 1826 U.S. SemiCentennial-----White Metal.
HK-13: 1870 Pilgrim Jubilee Memorial-----Silver plated bronze.
HK-16: 1875 Battle of Lexington Centennial-----Silver.
HK-19: 1876 Nevada Dollar, 2 pcs.-----Silver.
HK-20: 1876 U.S. Centennial Exposition-----Silver.
HK-59: 1876 Liberty Seated Dollar-----White Metal.
HK-121: 1878 Wyoming Battle and Massacre Centennial-----White Metal.
HK-125: 1881 Battle of Groton Heights Centennial-----White Metal.
HK-138: 1882 Pennsylvania Centennial-----Brass.
HK-142: 1885-86 World's Industrial and Cotton Exposition-----White Metal.
HK-154: 1893 World's Columbian Exposition-----Brass.
HK-156: 1892-1893 Declaration of Independence Dollar, 2 pcs.-----Silver.
HK-222a: 1892 Liberty Head Dollar, low relief-----Silver, unlisted.
HK-268: 1895 Cotton States and Industrial Exposition, 2 pcs.-----Gilt Bronze.
HK-292: 1901 Fort Sumter Dollar-----Silver Plated Copper.
HK-296: 1902 Wells Fargo and Company SemiCentennial, 2 pcs.-----Silver.
HK-300: 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition-----Gold Plated Bronze.
HK-306: 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition Coin of Admission-----Brass Octagonal.
HK-333b: 1905 Lewis and Clark Centennial Exposition U.S. Government Building Dollar-----Silver, unlisted.
HK-336: 1906 Pikes Peak Southwest Expedition-----Silver, gray oxidized finish.
HK-369: 1909 Hendrik Hudson Daalder-----Silver.
HK-420: 1915 Four Portraits Dollar-----Silver plated, antiqued.
HK-454: 1926 U.S. Sesquicentennial Exposition, 2 pcs.-----Nickel.
HK-461: 1932 William Penn 250th Anniversary of Arrival in America, 2 pcs.-----Silver.
HK-463: 1933-34 Century of Progress International Exposition-----Bronze.
HK-507: 1950 Washington D.C. Sesquicentennial-----Silver, gray oxidized finish.
HK-510: 1954 Cradle of the Union Celebration-----Silver.
HK-542: 1959 Colorado Rush to the Rockies-----Silver.
HK-552: 1959 Nevada Silver Centennial-----Silver.
HK-582: 1960 Pony Express Centennial-----Silver.
HK-586: 1961 Kansas Statehood Centennial-----Silver.
HK-587: 1961 Mobile 250th Anniversary-----Silver.
HK-588: 1961 Pont Express Termination Centennial-----Silver.
HK-852a: 1961 Continental Dollar Restrike, Bashlow/Bowers restrike, 2 pcs.-----Silver.
HK-870: 1933 Colorado Century of Progress Dollar, Type IV-----Silver.
HK-901: 1919-20 World War I Victory Medal, loop removed-----Bronze.
HK-910: 1945 World War II Victory Medal, no loop attached-----Bronze.

There were also a couple of large Washington Monument Association Medals in the group and a few others which were similar in design to either the obverse or reverse of a listed HK number and for a related event. When I have time I'll try to track down and identify some of the unfamiliar items such as a "Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence" medal still in an airtight and another related to womens suffrage. It's been fun thus far climbing into this fellows head, if only for a few hours, to see what direction his interests took. Thanks and enjoy, I'll answer any question you might have if I can.

Al H.

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You SUCK! How about pics?

The Mecklenburg medal is almost certainly a US Mint medal. It was struck in silver and copper, about 1000 each (I think). The silver one was struck on planchets intended for half dollars, an unusual situation for mint medals -- they were under time pressure and used what was available.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    This thread is useless without pictures!image
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Wow! That must be a fun grouping to go through. Are all the ones with duplicates commons?

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    image Great way to spend some free time ! Pics , need pics !! image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surprisingly, most of the duplicates are NOT commons.
  • keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    some will not grade but i talked with Brian Silliman this morning to get some idea of how we should proceed. the HK-4 appears to have had some rim damage repaired and is polished, the Lexington looks to be either polished or plated.imageimage several exhibit what look like hairlines but it's kind of hard to tell.

on the bright side, the HK-125 Groton Heights is a coppery and faint blue toned Cameo and the HK-142 Cotton Exposition is a white DCAM with only slight imperfection on the reverse which looks like a contact in the field. the Pilgrim is a bit dark but nice and clean, the Gold plated LPE is about MS65, the Octagonal is a gem Cameo and the Four Portraits is nicely toned. one of the Nevada's will probably grade as will one of the Declaration of Independence Dollars. also, the newer silver issues from the late 1950's and on have toned at the rims from the Dansco's they were in.

unfortunately there's the problem of rub/hairlining on several, some looks to be intentional and some is accidental rub from the folder plastic. my job today was to get them in flips, inventory the group and try to get an idea/make a judgement of what needs to go to NCS, what will go directly to NGC and what we should sell raw. keep in mind that the bulk isn't for my collection since i'm helping my pal, but i'll grab a few if they "fit" somewhere.image this is where i need to think like a woman who absolutely needs to have those shoes, the ones that are just a half-size too small,image tomorrow i meet with the dealer and discuss what we'll do. after that i'll have a chance to get a few pictures and i'll try to link them in with this thread.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    great story. Are you accepting PM's yet saying "I want XX" for my collection? image
    hey now, i'll do that at the BST after i get a chance to take some pictures to share here. what's exciting is the fact that most of these are rare issues which, well, are rarely seen!!! several are medals i haven't yet encountered for sale. still otherwhich are listed as scarce are just nice gem examples. on top of that, the tone on some is nice and leads me to believe that the collector placed them all in the Dansco at approximately the same time, if not all at once. he had to get different diameter page openings---34mm, 36mm, 38mm and 40mm---to accomodate the size range, even had to cut one 40mm opening bigger for the HK-507!!

one thing about these SC$'s that came into focus with this group is the range of thickness. for example, the HK-4/SemiCentennial and the HK-16/Lexington are very thick, probably 1/8 inch, while the Fort Sumter is quite thin, closer to 1/32 inch. while i had seen pictures or slabbed examples of almost each represented HK number in the group, it's truly eye opening to have things in front of you at the same time. much like looking in a dealers case at a show, a few of the items jumped out at me when i first saw them. the most impressive would be the HK-142 in White Metal, perhaps my favorite alloy for the older metals. i had flipped past that listing in the "bible" numerous times, but seeing a gem example in-hand reveals a beautiful medal reminiscent of the era it came from, 1885-86. my first thought was that it looked a bit like the 1890's Educational notes with the allegorical figures.
  • BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just ordered the Julian book from Stack's. Very interesting niche of numismatics I have started to explore.
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good work, Keets! You got good results by having your local dealer looking out for things you're interested in, congratulations!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Please, please, please excuse my poor quality and hastily taken pictures.................

HK-4 which looks to have been polished/whizzed and had some rim repai done at 8 o'clock on the reverse.

HK-13 with PL fields and blue-black tone overall.

HK-19 that's clean overall but looks to have had the fields wiped, no hairlines on the devices, though. perhaps someone can opine on the "look" which appears not as true die polish but as though the dies may have been wiped lightly with a rag or something. the medal itself if white with only faint color, unlike my poor picture.

HK-125 which is actually more white with only faint brown/gold/red tone on the devices and almost white fields. the Cameo is nice with bright mirrors that the picture seems to falsely suggest are hairlined.

HK-142 which is a white gem except for the damage over the reverse building. there also appears to be strike through at the letter "D" just above that.

• MrSpudMrSpud Posts: 4,498 ✭✭✭
    Nice medals. Too bad about the hairlines.
  • tmot99tmot99 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭
    Cool! Thanks for sharing pictures! Some of those would look good in my collection. image
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    Rretty good condition as SC$'s go . Great pics ! Have you guestimated total value of the collection ? image
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,250 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What fun! Wish I could have been there to look over your shoulder.

Thanks for posting the pics - I have never seen most of those SCD's.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

HK-121: 1878 Wyoming Battle and Massacre Centennial-----White Metal.

HK-156: 1892-1893 Declaration of Independence Dollar-----Silver.

HK-420: 1915 Four Portraits Dollar-----Silver plated, antiqued.

HK-292: 1901 Fort Sumter Dollar-----Silver Plated Copper.

HK-156: 1892-1893 Declaration of Independence Dollar-----Silver

HK-300: 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition-----Gold Plated Bronze.

HK-306: 1904 Louisiana Purchase Exposition Coin of Admission-----Brass Octagonal.

HK-369: 1909 Hendrik Hudson Daalder-----Silver.

HK-552: 1959 Nevada Silver Centennial-----Silver.

ttt for Kevin.
  • coindeucecoindeuce Posts: 13,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kevin? Is that code for how to change the red X's to images?

"Everything is on its way to somewhere. Everything." - George Malley, Phenomenon
    http://www.americanlegacycoins.com

• You do realize that this thread is over a year and a half old. Internet images are notorious for turning to red x's over timeimage

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file