Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1982 Fleer Ripken 1/1?

I posted this on another board and thought it was worth mentioning here. This seller has a signed 1982 Fleer RC of Cal Ripken Jr that was sent and authenticated by PSA/DNA. Before sending the card for authentication, they put a 1/1 on the card. Here's the result:

LINK

Nothing ceases to amaze me.

Comments

• Options
    NickMNickM Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭
    If it's an authentic Ripken autograph (and I have no good reason to believe it's not), what else should PSA/DNA have done with this card?

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options

<< <i>If it's an authentic Ripken autograph (and I have no good reason to believe it's not), what else should PSA/DNA have done with this card?

Nick >>

I am not concerned about the fact that the autograph was graded, I'm concerned at the fact that the seller is attempting to pass off a serial numbered 1/1 on ebay.
  • Options
    zef204zef204 Posts: 4,742 ✭✭

<< <i>If it's an authentic Ripken autograph (and I have no good reason to believe it's not), what else should PSA/DNA have done with this card?

Nick >>

They should have rejected to grade the card because it is a blatant attempt to decieve. They should have the integrity of the hobby ahead of making ONE authentication fee.
    EAMUS CATULI!

My Auctions
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    well now it is kinda hard to tell from the pic but what if the knucklehead wrote 1/1 on the HOLDER after he got it back? doesn't strike me as logical otherwise
  • Options

<< <i>well now it is kinda hard to tell from the pic but what if the knucklehead wrote 1/1 on the HOLDER after he got it back? doesn't strike me as logical otherwise >>

no, thats just silly. Its on the card.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>well now it is kinda hard to tell from the pic but what if the knucklehead wrote 1/1 on the HOLDER after he got it back? doesn't strike me as logical otherwise >>

no, thats just silly. Its on the card. >>

as silly as writing 1/1 on what perceivably could be a rare item?

i'm just tryin' to stir the pot, and regardless of what it is it don't look right, JMO
  • Options
    zef - PSA didn't grade the card. It has an "Authentic" on it, which is also issued to autographed cards that wouldn't grade because they're trimmed (or other alterations not affecting the signature). Since the 1/1 wouldn't prevent the card from grading, but give it a MK qualifier, I'm not sure why PSA/DNA should be expected to reject it.

But I'm certainly not happy with the seller's behavior, and I'm glad the cheap modern serial numbered card I bought from him a while back was machine-numbered.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

Need to buy something for the wife or girlfriend? Check out Vintage Designer Clothing.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Nick >>

They should have rejected to grade the card because it is a blatant attempt to decieve. They should have the integrity of the hobby ahead of making ONE authentication fee. >>

Agreed 100%
  • Options
    SheamasterSheamaster Posts: 542 ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there's people bidding over $100 for that card...it's way off-centered and not even a nice auto.
  • Options
    tennesseebankertennesseebanker Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭
    I agree the auto looks like crap and the card does as well. Probably just the HOF hype raising the card price.

• Options
    Its the type of quality and shenanigans you can expect from the seller.....
  • Options
    An ugly card made even uglier. I would never want to own that off centered piece of cardboard.

But it has a bunch of bids.

Dave D.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I saw a 1995 Bowman Andruw Jones PSA/DNA that was marked 1/1..........
  • Options
    julen23julen23 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭
    1/1 .... yea right

and if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.

julen
    RIP GURU
  • Options
    athleticsfanathleticsfan Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    On Jan-12-07 at 09:16:42 PST, seller added the following information:

THIS ITEM WAS PULLED OUT OF A FLEER PRODUCT AND SENT TO PSA FOR AUTHENTICATION. THE NUMBERING WAS DONE BY FLEER BEFORE THEY PUT IT IN THE PACK OF CARDS IT WAS PULLED OUT OF! GOOD LUCK THANKS

A's World Championships-1910, 1911, 1913, 1929, 1930, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1989
  • Options
    RipublicaninMassRipublicaninMass Posts: 10,051 ✭✭✭
    well since Ripken did NOT write 1/1 on the card, I feel it should have been rejected. I have a really old Clemens AUTO call where I WROTE the number 21 next to his sig. I have debated sending it in since I believe "ink was added" to the auto. WHich I believe it says on PSA/DNA's site this "ink added" will prevent an auto from being graded.
  • Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I'm not aware of any Fleer Buyback autographed rookie cards, nor does one appear in the Beckett OPG. Anyone else aware of such an item?
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    Could be a buyback. I know they had a Griffey Fleer RD buyback Auto. Bowman Originals has a ton of those Auto buybacks avail. in packs now. Hopefully it has some sticker or something on the back to help deter fraud. If it is one PSA should of noted buyback on the flip IMO
    imageimageimage
  • Options

<< <i>Could be a buyback. I know they had a Griffey Fleer RD buyback Auto. Bowman Originals has a ton of those Auto buybacks avail. in packs now. Hopefully it has some sticker or something on the back to help deter fraud. If it is one PSA should of noted buyback on the flip IMO >>

It could be, but I'd like to think a seller would mention that. I can always send him a question.

Might as well issue another online counterfeit Ripken minor league card alert as well while I'm here.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭
    That particular seller's reputation is known to be questionalbe...................................

Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options
    seller is questionable? how so..

As far as the card in question goes, It looks like it was Authenticated only because it would have received a low grade or a OC Qualifier.....

i think its a legit buyback...
  • Options
    BINOCULARS

Same seller-Since no one has sold a pair recently on ebay they are labeled 1/1 in title. Geez. Adds 1/1 to a few that items that are not.
    imageimageimage
  • Options
    I think that 1/1 on the Ripken card looks like the real deal....i have a lot of cards with the same style/penmenship....

a lot of people put 1/1 in the titles of auctions, doesnt mean this ripken is doctored....
  • Options
    I asked him a question through ebay, and he said the card was pulled from a pack
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    I don't think it is from any pack. Fleer wouldn't use such an o/c card for a buyback anyways. Also as they said it would be noted on the flip.
  • Options

<< <i>I don't think it is from any pack. Fleer wouldn't use such an o/c card for a buyback anyways. Also as they said it would be noted on the flip. >>

Oh I agree completely. I dont believe the guy one bit. Just wanted to post what he actually told me about the card.
  • Options
    "Ink Added" is when the signature has been traced over, filled in, or otherwise altered. It's not used for ink somewhere else on the card not impacting the signature.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options
    As far as I remember, Fleer has always either crimped, embossed, or put a sticker on the back of a card. No way would Fleer take a card that badly offcenter and use it as a 1/1. I'm suprised the seller didnt trim it down and send it to Beckett for a BGS 10 like he usually does...............
  • Options
    Buyback autos are not done in fountain pen. The card companies pay the player to sign them (usually in front of a company representative), and even if the card is not so nice, they want a bold, clean Sharpie signature.

Nick
    Reap the whirlwind.

• Options

<< <i>As far as I remember, Fleer has always either crimped, embossed, or put a sticker on the back of a card. No way would Fleer take a card that badly offcenter and use it as a 1/1. I'm suprised the seller didnt trim it down and send it to Beckett for a BGS 10 like he usually does............... >>

funny, beckett gives out 10's like candy nowadays...

Remember, this is Fleer we are talking about, the company went out of business for a reason....i bet this IS a buyback, and the reason it is 1 of 1 is because its the only Ripken Fleer RC they got back that was signed....

• Options
    schr1stschr1st Posts: 1,677 ✭✭
    I too doubt that a Ripken buyback auto would be signed in anything but a Sharpie. If it were a new UD/Fleer buyback, it would have a serial # hologram on the back and a matching UD authentication card (like the new 89 UD Griffeys have). Otherwise it would be listed somewhere in the Beckett On-line Price Guide, which it is not. I'll check with some of the Beckett Staff members to see if they've ever heard of a Ripken Buyback Autograph 1 of 1.
    Who is Rober Maris?
  • Options
    This card is a 1982 Fleer rookie card that was signed by Ripken. Somebody either took the card from the slab, wrote 1/1 on the card and resealed it (if that's even possible) or wrote 1/1 on the card before sending it to PSA/DNA for authentication. If the card was a Buy Back it would have some sort of authentication with the card. In addition, why send a card to PSA/DNA if it was authenticated by the company?
  • Options
    And while on the subject of questionable items on ebay, allow me to present this nice piece of counterfeit memorabilia

LINK

Disappointing.
  • Options
    lostdart58lostdart58 Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And while on the subject of questionable items on ebay, allow me to present this nice piece of counterfeit memorabilia

LINK

Disappointing. >>

WOW....pretty big ebay seller there................Do ya thing he knows it is no good?? He guarentees it though!
    Collector of:Baseball
    1955 Bowman Raw complete with 90% Ex-NR or better

Now seeking 1949 Eureka Sportstamps...NM condition
    Working on '78 Autographed set now 99.9% complete -
    Working on '89 Topps autoed set now complete

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>And while on the subject of questionable items on ebay, allow me to present this nice piece of counterfeit memorabilia

LINK

Disappointing. >>

WOW....pretty big ebay seller there................Do ya thing he knows it is no good?? He guarentees it though! >>

I informed him of my concerns and gave him a link to the site. Initially the card was pulled while there was an attempt at verifying authenticity. Either he found someone that would tell him it's legit or decided to sell it anyways.

I have done three interviews about the counterfeits and the first one that I can confirm the date for comes out in a week. Granted, you have to do your homework, but too bad the article did not come out while the auction was running. For the record, I've given ebay more than enough evidence to warrant the auction getting pulled.
  • Options
    The highest I've tracked one of these fakes at selling is $919. At $857 with a little under 2 hours remaining, this has potential.
  • Options
    No additional bids, $857 to the unlucky winner.