Home Sports Talk
Options

Congratulations Michelle Wie!

8 over par......in sole possession of 142nd place in the Sony Open. Somebody remind me again why she's playing men's events. Better yet, how is she even on the women's tour?

Comments

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 over par......in sole possession of 142nd place in the Sony Open. Somebody remind me again why she's playing men's events. Better yet, how is she even on the women's tour?

Hype, that's the main reason. Nike and the media machine wanted her to be the female Tiger. Looks like they may be in for a reality check.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>8 over par......in sole possession of 142nd place in the Sony Open. Somebody remind me again why she's playing men's events. Better yet, how is she even on the women's tour? >>

she is playing men's events on sponsor exemptions, nothing more and nothing less. Sponsors make more money (so far) when Wie plays. She is on the women's tour because of her performance. Was it 2005 when she was in the top five of all four or three of the four women's majors? Or something like that, at least. She's got game, albeit developing, but nowhere near enough to compete with the men on a course laid out for men.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    She's getting worse at every men's tourney she plays in now. It's probably hurting her performance on the ladies tour as well.
  • Options
    rbdjr1rbdjr1 Posts: 4,474 ✭✭
    she's a 17 year old girl (with a taped-up hand injury!) give her a break!

She said that playing with the men is helping her game a lot.

Let's give her the benefit of the doubt that this will help her when she finishes college at Stanford, and joins the LPGA tour full-time after graduation, in four years!

IMO, she will be a ladies champion, winning some LPGA events, including some majors.

Just one man's opinion!

rd

edit: I think I heard she hurt her hand from "too much text messaging with her friends". Just a girl with lots of talent "living a dream"!

• Options
    Looks like she's has been hitting the happy meals lately...

Am I speaking Chinese?

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If all else fails she could always play quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and be an improvement over what they have now.
  • Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If all else fails she could always play quarterback for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers and be an improvement over what they have now. >>

Travis
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    IMO, she will be a ladies champion, winning some LPGA events, including some majors

Let her win a few of those first. She cannot compete on the PGA tour, and the whole thing is getting really old.

Enough already.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    I have not been a Michelle Wie fan ever since I saw her on a "60 minutes" interview a few years ago - very arrogant and full of herself, not likeable at all
    IMO.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    agreed ... she appears to be a spoiled brat, and continues to take away a spot from a PGA tour player.

collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    BarndogBarndog Posts: 20,461 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>agreed ... she appears to be a spoiled brat, and continues to take away a spot from a PGA tour player. >>

sponsor exemptions are not reserved for PGA Tour players. They are reserved for whomever the sponsor wishes to place in the tournament. PGA Tour players (those who have earned their card) don't have to go up against Wie or other sponsor exemptions for a slot in the tournament. The only group she takes a spot from is males who didn't earn their card.