Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1810,The next bust half thread.Join in!

General guidelines:

1. Members can simply post pictures, or include pertinent information like Overton marriage and diagnostics, or just ask for information about their pictured coin from other members. Please keep picture file sizes within reason for dial up members.

2. Ultimately, we would like to see at least one example pictured for each Overton marriage.

3. Thread starts are only on Thursdays and Sundays.

Link to all prior year threads

YOU CAN POST TO THESE THREADS ANYTIME...IT IS NEVER TOO LATE!!!

PLEASE CONTRIBUTE: Post bust Half pictures with or without descriptions, or just make a comment indicating an interest. ALL INPUT IS MUCH APPRECIATED!

1810:

There was a total of 1,272,276 busties minted ,using 9 obverse dies and 10 reverse dies,for a total
of 10 separate die marriages.Weak struck coins are the rule for this year.Die cracks are also abundant.

This is a good example of a weak strike.O-102a,R2.Notice the obv. chin strike,a diagnostic point along with the die crack, and the rev left wing detail,again with a die crack that almost circles the rev.

imageimage

I picked up this example of 1810 O-108a,cheap on ebay.Despite the square hole,the strike is strong on this one.

These dies had to be on their last legs when this coin was made.

imageimage

imageimage

Sorry for the late start,thanks mozin for the reminder.image

Ok I know you guys have some better coins than these.Lets see yours!!!
computer illiterate,becoming coin literate with the help of this forum.

Comments

• Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another 108 a...One wonders what was holding the reverse die together.

imageimage

brightened to show the die cracks.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    I don't see an 1811 thread anywhere? Did we skip it?
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    mgoodm,thats what almost made me miss the start on 1810.I think the 1811 thread is on hold ,to start on

the 15th?
  • Options

<< <i>I don't see an 1811 thread anywhere? Did we skip it? >>

The scheduler thread says that the 1811 thread has been postponed until the 15th. (I wondered too until I looked it up.)
  • Options
    mgoodm3mgoodm3 Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭
    Well then, continue on.image
    coinimaging.com/my photography articles Check out the new macro lens testing section
  • Options
    Man, first Mepot post a 108 before I stick mine up there then he answers a question before I can finish typing my answer...image

• Options
    mepotmepot Posts: 585 ✭✭✭
    okbustchaser,I only beat you with the O-108 because I started the thread.Believe me,my typing skills

leave a lot to be desired.image
  • Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys threw me with the 1811........... I thought it was my old age kicking in...sheeesh..

Here is an 1810 O-109
    It utilizes Obv 8 with Rev I
    Obv- Mouth well open, date is wide and evenly spaced and the milling is weak
    Rev- all the crossbars over run the shield line, milling is light to none, Fine cracks are usually seen from feathers at the right of the shield to the claws crossing the leaves and wing tip joining a crack from the edge that curves under UNI, another crack through NITED STA going along the top of the scroll to the field between AMER and the wing.
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is a wild one.... have at it guys!!!

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is another easy one.

Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Here is a wild one.... have at it guys!!!

image >>

Looks like O-102.

==============================================

mepot,

Thanks for starting this thread. It certainly got off to a flying start.image
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options

<< <i>Here is another easy one.

image >>

I quickly thought this one was O-101, but I can't see any die cracks.image

Is this one of those super rare 1810 O-101 EDS without any cracks, or are the cracks simply not showing through the toning?
  • Options
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1810 O-103 R2:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower edge of dentil. Star 12 is recut, showing on lower left point. Small date slants to left. Miss Liberty’s upper lip has a defect. On this LDS, the small crack under the date extending left, is now reaching right to star 11. This late die use also shows weakness of strike in neck and chin. (Obverse is LDS of O-102.)

imageimage

Reverse: There is a lump between “5” and “0” at their midsections. “A” and “M” are joined at base, and “E” is higher than “M” at base. (Reverse shared with 1809 O-107 & O-108.) Left sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    1810 Bust Half, Overton O-104, R.3

• Options
    Here is a later die state of the 1810 O-104.

Some diagnostics for 1810 O-104a R3:

imageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to upper edge of dentil. Star 7 points to lower half of dentil, and to center of curl. Star 13 points to center of dentil. On this LDS, a crack shows from end of bust, through first four stars, and into forecurl.

imageimage

Reverse: A die defect lump shows at upper edge of shield left of center, extending down to crossbar 3. Centering dot shows between crossbars 4 & 5 at left. On this LDS, there is a crack at top of “D STAT”, and little milling. Left sides of “I” and “T” are in line.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here is the O106, Diagnostic is the leaves on the reverse, single strands
    imageimage

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-101, R1

Hey Buddy! How about a coin with 3 dots and a dash below the eagle's left claw?

Well, here's one. The 1810 O-101. ...a great quick diagnostic for this die marriage.

The O-101 is one of four 1810 die marriages with a die crack below or at the date. ...but do not use this die crack as a primary diagnostic. The early die state of the O-101 exists without this die crack.

If you see an 1810 with the die crack below or at the date, grab your O/P book and check all of the diagnostics. You may have an O-101, O-102, O-103 or O-108.

The O-101's reverse has a die crack from olive leaves to top of UNITE to the edge above D. A second die crack through ES.

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-101a, R1

Same as the O-101 except this die state has additonal die cracks above the date running across the bust to star 1 with a die lump near the drapery edge.

The reverse die cracks are more extensive. You could probably not see them on the posting of my O-101's reverse scan, but they can be clearly seen on this late die state.

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-105, R2

An easy die marriage to attribute with line 1 of stripe 6 going up through 6 crossbars and and line 3 going up through 3 crossbars.

NOTE: Thanks to this CU Forum posting I am finally getting around to scanning all of my coins. (I procrastinate well.) On the reverse scan of this coin I see some green toning. (This cannot be seen with my naked eye.) This is PVC contamination. Time to bring out the Acetone. Acetone easily removes the contamination without harming the coin. ...you just have to be careful with this very nasty stuff.

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-107, R3

Small date, widely spaced with 18 the widest. The mouth is clearly open.

On the reverse the C of AMERICA recut at the bottom.

Note that on very late die states of this die marriage you can no longer see this recut C.

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-107a, R3

Same as the O-107 except for die cracks.

The obverse has two neat die cracks. One to the left of the second 1 into the drapery. A second one crosses the edge of the bust and runs into the first 5 stars on the left.

The reverse has several die cracks. These die cracks are detailed in the O/P book.

This example of the O-107a no longer has the recutting of the C visible.

• Options
    Photo 1810 O-110, R2

The milling on both sides of the coin is usually weak.

On the reverse the AM are solidly joined with the M higher. ME nearly touch. Right side of the coin is usually weak.

• Options
    JRoccoJRocco Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Once again - Welcome edmerlr... and let me just say for the records---I am in variety heaven...

Great pics, great coins, great TOUGH varieties....
    Very impressive to say the least.image
    Some coins are just plain "Interesting"
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Here's mine. It is in a PCGS XF-45 holder.

Tom

• Options
    Thanks for the comment.

I am in the process of adding additional comments to my postings yesterday. It is currently 9:39 AM PDT and I just now finished the 1809 O-115a.

I am a die marriage and die state collector of only the LECBH.

After I finish the comments, I will back off and give others time to contribute before I post more.

By-the-way, if you already have a specific date/die marriage posting in your threads, but are missing an example of the early die state or late die state of the same date/die marriage posting, let me know---I may have one to show you.

Regards
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, didn't read the thread title.image
  • Options
    Nope, no Overton numbers.

The Reeded Edge Busties have "JR" numbers.

I bought the book---first edition, 1988, mint state---I read it. It is Greek to me.

...besides I sold all of my Reeded Edges to help pay for more LECBH--none left in my Bustie Harem.

I guess its about time I put this "Variety Identification Manual for United States Reeded Edge Half Dollars" on eBay.

Regards
  • Options
    imageimage

Some diagnostics for 1810 O-108 R3:

imageimageimage

Obverse: Star 1 points to lower half of dentil. Star 7 points to upper edge of dentil, and to lower half of curl. A tiny dot shows in the field below the inner point of star 7. A vertical die crack shows from milling left of date, and into drapery. Mouth is open.

imageimageimage

Reverse: A small tine protrudes into the field from the left shoulder of the eagle. “50” and “C” are widely spaced. There are many severe cracks. “I” is centered under right side of “T”.

Note: A still earlier die state exists with no reverse die cracks.
  • Options
    FEVERFEVER Posts: 232
    Here's a nice 1810, O-101, R1. Especially if you like crusty pieces that jump right out at you. I wish I had 50 pieces with this look.

Edgar

• Options
    1810, O-103, R1. This one has some pretty old album toning (someday I'll set up my copy table and shoot this one to capture the color better).

Edgar

• Options
    1810, O-108, R3. Bisecting crack on reverse now starting to weaken the die with two different heights severly weakening the Eagle's left wing strike. Half is slightly oversize.

Edgar

• Options
    edmerlredmerlr Posts: 563
    Many thanks to Mozin for expanding the Threads to include die STATES.

Let me, please, be honest with you, I discovered die states because of die cracks. To me there is nothing sexier on a Bustie than an awesome die crack. Not those die cracks that are so hairlined that it takes a 10x and/or tilting of the coin in the light in order to see them, but those thick wide die cracks that can be savored and enjoyed with the naked eye. Thanks to Mozin expanding to die STATES, we all have a chance (and excuse) to show more die cracked coins.

It is hard for me to imagine the "state" that the Mint must have been in almost two hundred years ago when the Coiners had no choice but to strike coins with cracked dies. It was either strike these coins with "damaged" dies, or strike no coins at all until new dies were ready.

Following is one of the missing die STATES. The coin's grade is not my favorite for my collection, but the die cracks make it a "Keeper."

This is the Late Die State of the 1810 O-109a, R4. There is a die crack from the edge thru star 1, curving through the portrait's eye, and then to star 9 and the edge. A second die crack starts at the edge (where the first die crack started) and continues to the top of the first 1 in the date going to the 8. Another die crack (hairlined) appears above the 10 and below the bottom curls.

I am not sure how tough this die state is to find. The rarity rating is R4 for "very scarce," but the Overton/Parsley books states: "...this late die with the obverse die crack is RARE." (the CAPS are Overton's, not mine.)

Any feedback on rarity or anything else, would be appreciated.

I did not mark the die cracks on the reverse. ALL die cracks are exactly as described in the O/P book for the O-109 die state's reverse. My O-109a also shows (hard to see in the photo) the die clashing of the portrait's hair under the scroll on the reverse and the die clashing of LIBERTY under the eagle's right wing.

Photos of the 1810 O-109a, R4:

• Options
    Edmerlr,

It is sure great to have you back and recuperating safely at home. Yes, I too love cracks.

I cannot offer any insight into the true rarity of the late dies state 1810 109a, in fact, I am missing the O-109 marriage.image
  • Options
    23Pairer23Pairer Posts: 911 ✭✭✭
    Just got it, and have to attribute yet

• Options
    123cents123cents Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭
    Nice one 23Pairer. Looks like a 101a.
  • Options
    23Pairer,

I like the toning colors. This O-102a R2 normally comes with weak centers on both obverse and reverse.

Years ago I submitted an 1810 with weak centers to PCGS, came back VF 30. The coins had plenty of luster, so I sent it to NGC. Came back properly graded at AU 50.
  • Options
    Following will be a hint to help you attribute the 1810's you find on eBay, at coin shows, etc.

Last night for bedtime reading I again chose the Leaman Gunnet treatise on the Emission Order of Capped Bust Halves. I was reminded in the 1810 section of the following facts:

The OUTSIDE point of star 13 is scalloped on the O-101, 102, 103, 104, 106, 107, and 109.

The UPPER INSIDE point of start 13 is scalloped only on the O-105, 108, and 110.

Why can't I remember these simple three numbers: 105, 108, 110?

(...and what do you read at bedtime? Smile. Grin. Smile.)

Regards,

Ed R.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    New image of this 106

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    LindeDad,

Welcome to the CU Capped Bust Half Dollar series. I could be wrong attributing from pictures, especially with no dentils showing. Your coin could be O-106, likely the LDS.
  • Options
    Rhedden,

Yours looks like O-101. Hard to tell positively because I cannot see the obverse cracks that are usually present in this marriage.
  • Options
    There is such a thing as the 1810 O-101 Prime with no obverse die cracks.

Little is known about how many of these Primes exist.

There are just too few of us die state Nuts out there looking for them.

Herrman lists the 1810 O-101 Prime as R7 with a question mark. I don't believe the rarity is that high.

Rhedden, check your coin again with a strong loop, try to find the obverse die crack at the base of the date and another joining the end of the bust running thru all the stars on the left.

If you find just 5% or a hint of any part of these diagnostic die cracks, then the coin is NO longer the O-101 Prime.

Regards,

Ed
  • Options
    Here is another missing die STATE: The 1810 O-106a, R3:

This is the same as the O-106 except there is a flattening of the rim that took place during the minting process.

On the obverse the O/P book advises: "[The flattening] has been obversed near stars 1, 5-6, 6-7, 11-12-13 and it no doubt occurs in other positions.

On the reverse, the book adds: "...flat rim areas have been observed near the leave, OF, TED, and CA."

Photos of my 1810 O-106a, R4: (Note the obvious flattening on the rim at stars 4-5 and in other areas.)

• Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mozin thanks I missed the missing leaves. I can't really see the die crack mentioned but wear could of obscured it. Will change my comments.

OK found that die crack with the help of pictures by edmerlr.

Revised comments to this:
    1,276,276 Minted with Ten varieties. This is a 106. "The 18 is wider than 810. The two inner leaves, of the center pairs, are missing except for a thin line of each." This is a R.4 coin.

Note to self find yourself a better magnifier to play this game.image
  • Options
    busco69busco69 Posts: 815 ✭✭
    Looks like Santa
    ''Coin collecting is the only hobby where you can spend all your money and still have some left''
  • Options
    FinallyHereFinallyHere Posts: 822 ✭✭✭
    Here's an 1810 I sold mid-year last year.

Mike Printz
    Harlan J. Berk, Ltd.
    https://hjbltd.com/#!/department/us-coins
  • Options
    FinallyHere:

This is an absolutely gorgeous 1810 O-105.

Normally this would be considered a R2 die marriage. ...but coins like this with full milling are scarce and therefore considered, in this case, a R3.

Regards,

Ed
  • Options
    busco69,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. Neat Santa!image

-----------------------

FinallyHere,

Welcome to our Capped Bust Half Dollar series. That is a luscious 1810.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file