Home Sports Talk
Options

Isn't it Time They Put Art Monk in the Hall of Fame

The finalists are out for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Art Monk is once again on the list. Isn't about time they stopped screwing around and put him in. Art Monk is the only eligible player, at least as far back as Don Hutson, who retired as the all-time leader in receptions that is not in the Hall of Fame. Monk was the first guy to get to both 800 catches and 900 catches. He gets overshadowed by guys that came after him because of the passing explosion in the late '90s and '00s. For example, at one time Monk had the NFL record for catches in a season at 106. At that time only about 3 guys had every gotten more than 100 catches in a season. Now guys do it regularly. It is worth noting that Monk did it for a team that was known for its running game. I would like to hear other opinions on this.

Comments

• Options
    kcballboykcballboy Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭
    I had to take art in college and it sucked.

But I think Art Monk should be in the HOF.
    Travis
  • Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    Monk should be, and eventually will be (in my opinion), in the HOF. He is not one of the greatest HOFers of all time, but that is not the criteria to get in. I think a good comparison for him is someone like Dave Winfield. Nobody would confuse him with Mickey Mantle, but his body of work makes him a HOFer. Monk's body of work, as Reiny says, appears less impressive because of the era subsequent to his and all of the rule changes designed to aid the passing game. I do think the Football HOF's voting system, though I don't understand it completely, has hurt him some. But I hope he is voted in before the players with bigger statistical totals (diluted though they are, in comparison) become eligible.
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options
    I also agree. It is strange that someone like Art Monk would be left of the ballot. Tell Madden about it and I bet they would here a few run on sentences.

Clear Skies,
    Mark
    Collecting PSA graded Steve Young, Marcus Allen, Bret Saberhagen and 1980s Topps Cards.
    Raw: Tony Gonzalez (low #'d cards, and especially 1/1's) and Steve Young.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Absolutely he should be in.

The arguments against him, as I understand it, are:
    He had no "defining" games
    He was never considered a dominant or feared player
    He only made it to three Pro Bowls

Still, his career is undeniably HOF-caliber. Not only did he reture with the all-time receptions record, he performed in the post-season too. He had over 1000 post-season receiving yards, including 113 in his second Super Bowl victory.

Joe
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    estangestang Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭
    I've lot a lot of respect for the Pro Football Hall of Fame as ex-Viking, Randall McDaniel didn't even make the 17 finalists to be voted in. That's fine to not let him in as a first ballot (although it is warranted), but it's insulting for him not to be among the finalists.

He played 12 years and went to 12 straight Pro Bowls as an offensive guard. He was named to the all-90s team. There are only 3 people that have played in more pro bowls --- Merlin Olsen, Ken Houston and someone else.

There is too much correlation to winning a Super Bowl and being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and not enough correlation for baseball.

Enjoy your collection!
    Erik
  • Options

<< <i>I've lot a lot of respect for the Pro Football Hall of Fame as ex-Viking, Randall McDaniel didn't even make the 17 finalists to be voted in. That's fine to not let him in as a first ballot (although it is warranted), but it's insulting for him not to be among the finalists.

He played 12 years and went to 12 straight Pro Bowls as an offensive guard. He was named to the all-90s team. There are only 3 people that have played in more pro bowls --- Merlin Olsen, Ken Houston and someone else.

There is too much correlation to winning a Super Bowl and being elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame, and not enough correlation for baseball. >>

Art Monk won three super bowls and retired the all-time leader in receptions. He has been eligible for 3 years now and is not in. Harry Carson won a super bowl and it took a long time for him to get in. I don't think super bowl rings mean as much as you think. The problem is the election process which sucks even worse than Baseball's. They have a selection board that meets and discusses the players. Then they vote as to whether or not they should get in. If you do not have a voter to take up your cause you're screwed. This is why it took Harry Carson so many tries to get in. It is really stupid and very insulting to these great players. The Hall of Fame is supposed to be about how good they were at football not at kissing butts.
  • Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGREED 100 % MONK should be a HOF'er, I actually forgot he was not in.