Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Scarce '70s issue

Many are familiar with the World Series "cartoon" sets that Laughlin/Fleer produced in 1967 (B&W), 1970 (blue back), 1971 (gray back) and 1980 (sticker back.)

However, there are seven cards that are extremely tough.

The 1971 set included all World Series' up to 1970. However, Fleer released an updated World Series card at the end of the next seven years in very limited quantity. There was no set to complete from 1971-1977, so demand was very low. These are not to be confused with the very common 1971-1977 World Series cards from the 1980 sticker back set.

It took me awhile, but finally found the 1975 and 1976 cards (don't have a scan of this one yet)

“Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin

Comments

• Options
    Wow, that's pretty cool. How did Fleer released the updates, was it mail in offer or something?
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    Great question, one that someone else just asked. Bobsbbcards is an expert on these, so I hope he chimes in with the answer. Dave of Dave's Vintage indicated that this was the first time he'd seen one of these in his many years of collecting.
    “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.” - George Carlin
  • Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭
    Interesting. What did you pay for these?
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    Wow, those are pretty sweet looking cards.

Thanks for sharing image
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    ajwajw Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭
    Really interesting cards. I'd like to know more...hopefully someone else can fill in the blanks.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    These are tough. They have shown up on ebay. Sometimes the sellers know what they are, sometimes not. They are listed in the SCD Catalog. Mike Mosier at Columbia City Collectibles has them from time to time. I think they were inserts in later Fleer sticker and patches offerings
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    very cool looking cards
    Mark B.

Seeking primarily PSA graded pre-war "type" cards

My PSA Registry Sets

34 Goudey, 75 Topps Mini, Hall of Fame Complete Set, 1985 Topps Tiffany, Hall of Fame Players Complete Set
  • Options
    All but the '75 and '76 were purchased about three years ago:

1971 - $81
    1972 - $30
    1973 - $20
    1974 - $20
    1975 - $113
    1976 - $75
    1977 - $50

Bishop - any idea how they were distributed?
  • Options
    53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭
    Excellent. Thanks for showing these to us!
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I have several of the sticker backs. image i still like them just the same though. image

Scott
    Registry Sets:
    T-205 Gold PSA 4 & up
    1967 Topps BB PSA 8 & up
    1975 Topps BB PSA 9 & up
    1959 Topps FB PSA 8 & up
    1976 Topps FB PSA 9 & up
    1981 Topps FB PSA 10
    1976-77 Topps BK PSA 9 & up
    1988-89 Fleer BK PSA 10
    3,000 Hit Club RC PSA 5 & Up

My Sets
  • Options
    Hi. I was going through some old bookmarks on my computer and found this thread that I had saved.

I wanted to let everyone know that as far as I can remember this set was in 'regular' Fleer Sticker wrappers. There was nothing on the wrapper that designated them as a World Series set inside. I went crazy trying to complete this set when I was a kid and only the Good Humor Ice Cream truck in a friend of mine's neighborhood had them! No retail stores (at least in my area) had these cards because I asked and looked at the time. A ran around trying to catch the Ice Cream truck in order to complete the set and fell about 10 cards short. I don't have them any longer but it wouldn't have mattered because I loved reading the backs so they would only have been in VG condition at best.

It's probably one of my all-time favorite sets just from how much I learned from them. I used to have most of the world series teams and results memorized!