Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Beware of Triple Play Vintage?

I have a friend of mine who bought a few cards from Triple Play Vintage on Ebay, and sent them in with the recent special. Here are the results:

57 Yogi Berra Advertised as: NM Grade: Not holdered, evidence of trimming
61 Mays AS Advertised as: NM Grade: Not holdered, evidence of trimming
61 Johnny Klippstein Advertised as NM Grade: 5

Not familiar with this seller myself, but my buddy was not pleased. Take it FWIW, it may be another Waverly182 situation.

Ron
Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items

Comments

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ron

Did your friend contact the seller?

mike
    Mike
  • Options
    RonBurgundyRonBurgundy Posts: 5,491 ✭✭✭
    Yes. He's in the process of doing that (just got his grades yesterday). He's not a member of the board so I will post the reply (if any).

Ron
    Ron Burgundy

Buying Vintage, all sports.
    Buying Woody Hayes, Les Horvath, Vic Janowicz, and Jesse Owens autographed items
  • Options
    RipkenRipken Posts: 559 ✭✭✭
    It's been awhile, but I purchased a number of cards from them & they were always good about exchanges/refunds. Occasionally it took an extra couple of days, but I never had a bad experience.
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Wow, I have always had great luck with them. I have also never had a card come back as trimmed that I have purchased from them.

I think throwing a "guilty" verdict on the guy could be a bit unfair. There are many dealers who buy all kinds of collections. Often times trimmed cards are NOT easy to identify. Even the major grading companies have them slip past their "professional" graders.

A good number of dealers are no different than you and I. We can't always catch bad cards, especially when you do a huge volume such as Triple Play Vintage.

I am also sure he would refund if requested in an APPROPRIATE amount of time. Give the guy the chance to make it right. Because we also dont know if your friend tried to trim the cards himself...thats why I think this is an unfair statement.

Edited to add: RonBurgundy, Im not saying this as a personal attack toward you because I think this is important information to help us all be aware who we purchase from. Purchasing raw off ebay is always a risk.

I dont argue with the Waverly statement because we have seen MANY issues with them....this is the first I have seen anything on Triple Play Vintage and also going by my own experience.

Rock on image
  • Options
    I'm curious for those buying raw cards, is it normal practice to ask, before bidding or purchasing from a website, about a card it being trimmed? I would assume most sellers would say no, and if you submit it and it comes back as "trimmed", then I think as a buyer, I would have the right to go back to the seller and ask for a refund. Especially, if I've brought it up before the transaction has taken place, then it's in the seller's mind before and it's not an after-the-fact surprise.

I have interest in this, as there's a 68 Topps Plaks checklist on ebay that I'm interested in. First, I had asked for a larger image of the card, 3 days and no response. Now I've reminded him of that and asked if he knows if the card has been trimmed or if it appears that way (along with other questions about the condition of the card). I'm almost positive, if I get any response, he'll come back and say no and that's fair because I don't think I could tell. But still, I don't want to shell out $500-600 on a card unless I know the seller will honor a refund if the card comes back from a grading company, as being trimmed. I don't think I'm out of line for expecting that, am I?

Just for clarity, here's the image:
    68 topps plaks checklist
    kev

keeping my ears open for oddball cards of Rose from the 60's and 70's.
  • Options
    stownstown Posts: 11,321 ✭✭✭
    You are always taking a chance when purchasing raw.

I've never asked if a card was trimmed; only limit my questions to overall condition (i.e. creases, surface wear, corners). If I can make a good deal, then it's worth the risk IMO. Just remember and note the key word in that sentence because any time you purchase raw, you are taking one.
    So basically my kid won't be able to go to college, but at least I'll have a set where the three most expensive cards are of a player I despise ~ CDsNuts
  • Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    I bought a post card from him.. and it came back trimmed!!! it also came back graded.. lol
  • Options
    i have many 1960 topps from them (commons)...........several were not as advertised..........nm very iffy....a lot of things are NM, like ex-mt and ex+..........filed chargeback a couple of times. Overall had about a 75% success rate with them.
    "You must understand the difference in things that are similar, and the similarity of things that are different"