Home Coin Swaps, Tags and Giveaways
Options

New 'Personal Virtual' TAG

Only the coin(s) in the TAG will be shipped out, instead of a couple of PCGS boxes. This will save on the shipping.
Again, think of the transaction as a 'trade' between 2 parties, with what you send open as long as it meets the criterias below.
TAG will last 1 month, after which all coins will be shipped to their new owners.

1) Coins sent to me for this TAG's can only stay the same or go up in services. TPG order are: PCGS, NGC, ANACS, ICG, all others. This means if there is an ANACS coin you want, it can be replaced by another ANACS, or NGC or PCGS coin. If the coin you want is in a NGC holder, then it must be replaced by another NGC or PCGS holdered coin. Raw coins can replace other raw coins or lower TPG coins, under special circumstances I might be persuaded to accept raw coins for graded ones.

2) Coins to be divided into 2 groups, Silver (pre-'64s; Silver Proofs; SAEs; Commems; etc.) & Clad. Silver coins cannot be replaced with Clad coinage (unless approved by me). Clad coins can be replaced by Silver coins.

3) Coins over $50 in value (will be marked as such soon) can only be replaced with another coin of equal or greater value.
If you get more than 1 coin over $50, then you can use any combination to create the same value; in other words, if you want 2 coins worth $50 each, you can replace them with 2 coins- 1 worth $75 & the other $25.
Please do your homework when placing values to coins, think auction sites.

4) No TAG's using coins with the same grade (or lower) already listed in the TAG (I would be interested if the coin upgrades my registry set).
Last thing I need is 4 of the same coin in the TAG, or in my possession.

5) I will not 'veto' any TAG as long as it meet the criteria above, BUT, since this is probably helping other's out & not me, I will ask for shipping charges (depends on size of shipment) but expect anywhere from $4 to $10 IF there are no coins I can use for my registry sets. If there are coins being sent my way that I can use in my sets, then I would see this more as a swap & I would cover the shipping charges out.

6) Coins 'coming in' will be listed by current owner (i.e., 1957 Frankilin PCGS MS65 coming from JOE1234); coins going out will also be listed by who will recieve the coin (i.e., 1943 Lincoln PCGS66 going to JOE1234).
I will keep track of where these 'virtual' coins are going, if a coin going out is traded between parties BOTH parties have to relay this information to me. 'Virtual' coins coming in can be requested.
At the end of month time limit I will send out PM's to all involved, it is up to the individual to double check the list & give their OK.

These are my thoughts for the moment, more may be added later.
Sorry if they seem harsh, but I would like to set it up where it's a win-win & I don't have to worry about it.

TAG List by Denominations:
LINCOLNS
JEFFERSONS
ROOSEVELTS
WASHINGTONS
FRANKLINS
KENNEDYS
MORGANS
IKES
SBA
SACs
SAEs
Odds 'N Ends

Comments

• Options
    sounds good to me image

Ebay Seller I.D
    the_northern_trading_company
    ace@airadv.net
    imageimage
  • Options
    one idea Augie, and it's just an idea because i wouldn't be participating in a graded tag
    anyway since my collection doesn't contain that many.

but a sort of "virtual" tag, where the coins are listed, and only the coins being switched
    around would be shipped. maybe this doesn't make sense, but it's late.
    only disadvantage i can think of right now is being unable to view in hand, but being
    graded it would take away some of the need to do that anyway.
  • Options
    MillertimeMillertime Posts: 2,048 ✭✭
    I like the virtual tag idea. Everyone that wants to participate lists all their swap material and then the deals start to work out. Instead of a straight swap between two people you throw in a third or fourth (or any number) so that everyone can get what they want. Each person would maintain their lists to show what they are receiving and sending. After all the deals are worked out and agreed to then the coins are shipped by everyone. Their would have to be a great deal of trust between everyone because one person could potentially ship their whole inventory out waiting to receive replacements from multiple people.

This whole swap could be done in a few weeks, two weeks to deal and one week to ship.

Millertime
  • Options
    ajiaajia Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭
    Third, cost. I thought that having a nice variety and enough to go around would make this a nice TAG. In the end, having to pay $20 to have that option for coins that slowly turned into common coins worth about $20 was not what folks wanted.

cullenbryant,
    Yes, it was late & forgot to add that part in.
    When I wrote about the cost (see above), I meant shipping costs.
    My idea is to show all the coins I have available, then allow members to essentially trade coins, but without the 'this is what I want in trade.', as long as it meets the other requirements.
    As far as you participating......maybe I can add that raw coins are allowed, but only for other raw or lower TPG coins (think ACG, ICCS, etc.)

Millertime,
    Great idea in theory, might even work, but too big for me.
    A coin might go from one member to another multiple times.
    Someone needs to keep track. If a member goes on vacation, or deals are still being worked out the whole group needs to wait.
    And as you stated, 1 deal might bring the whole TAG crashing down.

These thoughts will be added to the list.
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>A few 'complications' arose with my TAG, IMO.

First & foremost, for me, was how to keep from getting common, low priced coins for decent mid-priced (relatively speaking) coins.
    I thought I had put in place a safeguard, but I didn't always feel great about the swap.
    Still, these were the rule I put in, & I felt if there was anyone to blame it was me.

Second, the time involved in having packages get from one member to the next. Sometimes it was quick, other times not so quick. Communication here was the rule. Keeping everyone informed on what the situation was was paramount.

Third, cost. I thought that having a nice variety and enough to go around would make this a nice TAG. In the end, having to pay $20 to have that option for coins that slowly turned into common coins worth about $20 was not what folks wanted.

So, here is my preliminary thought on a new TAG.

I will list all my dupes, from all the grading services & some raw SAE's (possibly raw silver too)

Only the coin(s) in a TAG will be shipped out. Again, think of the transaction as a 'trade', with what you send open as long as it meets the final criteria's (not there yet).

1) TAG's can only stay the same or go up in services (pecking order to be determined, but the top will be PCGS followed by NGC, then ANACS), meaning if there is an ANACS coin you want, it can be replaced by another ANACS, or NGC or PCGS coin. Raw coins can replace raw coins or lower TPG coins (list of these to be determined).

2) Coins to be devided into 2 groups, Silver & Clad. Silver coins cannot be replaced with Clad coinage (unless approved by me). Clad coins can be replaced by Silver coins.

3) Coins over $50 in value (will be marked as such) can only be replaced with another coin of equal value.
    If you get more than 1 coin over $50, then you can use any combination to create the same value; in other words, if you want 2 coins worth $50 each, you can replace them with 2 coins- 1 worth $75 & the other $25.

4) No TAG's using coins already in the TAG.
    Last thing I need is 4 of the same coin in the TAG, or in my possession.

5) I will not 'veto' any TAG as long as it meet the criteria above (once finalized), BUT, since this is probably helping other's out & not me, I will ask for shippping charges (depends on size of shipment) but expect anywhere from $4 to $10 IF there are no coins I can use for my registry sets. If there are coins being sent my way that I can use in my sets, then I would see this more as a swap & would cover the shipping out.

These are my thoughts for the moment, more may be added later.
    Sorry if they seem harsh, but I would like to set it up where it's a win-win & I don't have to worry about it.
    What do you all think? >>

My Thoughts Exactly

Jim
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options

<< <i>
    Millertime,
    Great idea in theory, might even work, but too big for me.
    A coin might go from one member to another multiple times.
    Someone needs to keep track. If a member goes on vacation, or deals are still being worked out the whole group needs to wait.
    And as you stated, 1 deal might bring the whole TAG crashing down.
    >>

Here's my response to your post ajia:

- It's not too big for one person because because one person isn't in charge. Each person agrees to each swap as it happens and each person is then responsible for shipping their coins out. I agree it could be somewhat time consuming because you could easily have multiple trades going on and all the communication necessary plus the shipping at the end.

- Coins probably would be 'traded' multiple times but only shipped once.

- Everyone would be tracking and updating their own list in the thread.

- Multiple trades could be done in the time that it took the package in the first TAG to get from one person to the next.

- TRUST and COMMUNICATION would be the key (nothing new here). I think there's an established base of swappers here that could be trusted in any situation.

- If something happened and deals couldn't be made or other problems arose the whole thing could be called off and all that's lost is time invested.

Millertime
  • Options
    Musky1011Musky1011 Posts: 3,899 ✭✭✭✭
    Why doesn't everybody post the coins the have to trade/swap in one post

We all can pick and choose from each other's lists
    and make trades/swaps accordingly

Ship out coins at our own costs

All agreed upon before shipping

All shipping to be usps/insured/sig. confirmation

All info to be posted on a single post

No time limits- this will be an on going tag/swap/trade

Everybody responsible for their own transactions

This could be fun!!!!!

Darksides included

Simple solution to a complex problem

Jim

"I will even start it if you guys want"
    Pilgrim Clock and Gift Shop.. Expert clock repair since 1844

Menomonee Falls Wisconsin USA

http://www.pcgs.com/SetRegistr...dset.aspx?s=68269&ac=1">Musky 1861 Mint Set
  • Options
    headsplitter2headsplitter2 Posts: 459 ✭✭✭
    Why doesn't everybody post the coins the have to trade/swap in one post

We all can pick and choose from each other's lists
    and make trades/swaps accordingly

Ship out coins at our own costs

All agreed upon before shipping

All shipping to be usps/insured/sig. confirmation

All info to be posted on a single post

Smashing good idea I'm up for this.
    "Only 2 things are certain
    Death and Taxes" ~~ Ben Franklin
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/u-s-coins/mint-sets/1945-mint-set/publishedset/21067
    Knutson's 45' Set 2009 Winner
  • Options
    headsplitter2, I may be wrong here, but what you're proposing is a trade, not a tag.

If 2 members come to an agreement on what they're going to send, that's a trade.
    If 1 member has the ability to pick any coin in the bunch & replace it with any other (of similar value & within the rules of the tag) this is different.

But, let's say you are talking about a TAG where everyone lists their coins that they are willing to TAG.
    Then, once there is a consensus on the 'rules', we can start saying, in essence, I will take those coins & send you these, without the other member complaining.

The mentality has to be, once the coins are listed as part of the TAG, they're community property (although you still have ownership). Once 'TAGGED', those coins can be 'tucked away'.

I'm game if others are.
  • Options
    Sounds good to me...how are we going to keep track of the TAGGED coins? You would have to keep going through the threads to keep it populated which would become an issue if you have 4 or 5 ppl tagging at the same time.
    This is a very dumb ass thread. - Laura Sperber - Tuesday January 09, 2007 11:16 AM image

Hell, I don't need to exercise.....I get enough just pushing my luck.
  • Options
    What about lurkers?
    Will this be 'closed' to others once started?
    Also doesn't seem fair to those not online 24/7.

If this is a 'virtual' TAG, then coins start disappearing once the member requesting them 'virtually' has them.

I do see potential issues, but I can also see this being loads of fun.

Should we come up with 'rules'?
    Biggest rule, IMO, is: IS this going to be a TAG or a TRADE scenario?
  • Options
    asnovellasnovell Posts: 415 ✭✭
    Great ideas! I would like in on the next tag if possible. Thanks! Andy
    Andy
  • Options
    If you take a look at my post earlier I mentioned that each person would update their 'inventory' in a single post so that at any given time a member of this tag could see what each member has in their 'virtual' inventory.

You could classify this as a trade but you could make 3 or even 4 way trades instead of the straight back and forth trade and the same coin could be traded many, many times.

Example: If ajia posts his coins from the previous tag he might not get too many hits from anyone in the previous tag. However, I might have something in my inventory that he wants and I want something from another member's inventory. He could trade that member for what I want and pass that on to me in exchange for my coin. Each member's inventory would then be updated with the new coins.

I think a core group should start this but then other TRUSTED individuals could join at any time, all they have to do is post their list. We probably should set a trade deadline for all deals to be completed (2-3 weeks) and then ship shortly after. We would have to work out how we keep track of who receives what. It's easy to keep current on your own virtual inventory but at the end we would have to have a master list of who's sending what where because one coin could changes hands many times and it will only get shipped once.

Millertime
  • Options
    You've got me interested now. I've seen most tags become diluted with common items that don't interest me.

I don't know if I like a virtual tag. A chance to upgrade a weak spot in my collections might tempt me to part with some top pops in my #1 or #2 sets. I've many coins in my #2 sets that I've been keeping for the day I win the lottery and can afford a submission for 100-200 regrades. I wouldn't want to publicly post pieces of my #1 or #2 sets as an available list. I get enough emails and PMs asking me to sell coins for ridicuously low offers.

David
  • Options
    David,

That's what has me worried. Someone lurking to see what others have to swap. They see something they like, swoop in & get something good, then 'POOF', are gone!
    You would have to join & list the coins available, IMO, although others might say if the owner of the coin is OK with the swap, then what's the difference?

Should there be rules, or should this be a 'free for all'?
  • Options
    My theory was that 'trading' is only open for a fixed amount of time and each trade is approved by the 'virtual' owner of the coin. After a set time period all coins are shipped from the original owners to the new owners.

Here's an example of what I was thinking:

Boom lists contains a 1952 PCGS MS66 quarter.

Ajia really wants Boom's but Boom doesn't want anything from ajia.

I have something in my list that Boom wants but I really wanted something from ajia and not Boom.

I could trade the coin Boom wants to ajia who would then trade it to Boom.

My new 'virtual' list would contain ajia coin, ajia's would list Boom's coin and Boom's would list my coin. The trade between ajia and myself would be agreed upon in whatever manner we chose. Maybe ajia would want some junk silver thrown in to make it fair or some extra money, whatever it was would be agreed upon. The same thing would happen between Boom and ajia and at the end we would each ship our coins to the new owners.

When the lists are first posted everything should be available but any new coins you trade for (between one or more people) can be noted that's it's not for trade. This would only apply for new coins, anything left in your original list should be available but since you approve any trade your whole list could be unavailable even though that would be defeating the purpose.

This is why anyone involved in this tag would have to be a TRUSTED and TIMELY member. In a way it would be a free-for-all because trades can happen between anyone within the time period but only well trusted individuals could join.

Millertime
  • Options
    'Personal Virtual' Started.
    TAG coins listed, more to come (raw coins).

If someone starts a new totally 'virtual' TAG I am sure I'll join, but for now I'll start this one.

Picture hopefully will come along.
    I start my day at catching a train @ 6 in the morning & get home between 6 to 7 in the evening, so it doesn't leave much time.
    If you request a picture of a coin I'll do my best to have it ASAP, & also add it to the list for all to see.

Thanks,
    Augie
  • Options
    No interests in this method?

Will anyone start a 'virtual' tag as described?