Home Metal Detecting

Mohawk valley hoard- every detectorists dream or nightmare?

Not sure if this was ever mentioned here, read it on the forum across the street, still quite the find, definately would put a smile on my face Link to site with info on hoard coins

Comments

• Thanks for the link. I live in this area and have always dreamed about this type of find. My property lies on NY Rt 22 a path for the revolutionary soldiers and I often think about hoards along the way. My property line is marked by a old stone wall that is said to be 150 yo ++. I have detected some it and found nothing but a few pieces of iron and one old dump site.

It is also on an old road none as the northern turnpike. This was an old stage coach route from Lansinghburg, NY to Granville, NY. Who knows if there were pirates along this road????

Something to think or detect about.

• OmegaOmega Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭
  • kevinstangkevinstang Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭

<< <i>My property lies on NY Rt 22 a path for the revolutionary soldiers and I often think about hoards along the way. My property line is marked by a old stone wall that is said to be 150 yo ++. I have detected some it and found nothing but a few pieces of iron and one old dump site. >>

Sounds like a nice piece of land you have there, but alot to cover. I can imagine there could be stuff from even the French and Indian war period as well. All kinds of raids etc. were conducted throughout New York. You have to wonder even how many people may have just died from exposure etc. while just traveling across the "frontier" .
  • dtkk49adtkk49a Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭
    If the coins weren't damaged, I suspect no one would have ever heard of the find.
    Follow me - Cards_and_Coins on Instagram

They call me "Pack the Ripper"
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only cursorily clicked the link before. Just checked that out a little more tonight.

All I can say is...

...uhh... nothing.

I'm speechless. That is so mindblowing.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

• << <i>I only cursorily clicked the link before. Just checked that out a little more tonight.

All I can say is...

...uhh... nothing.

I'm speechless. That is so mindblowing. >>

i'm with you....wow!
    "see ya at the beach"
    imageimageimageimage